Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2023, 10:49 AM   #1

Default Class B vs Class C

I am sure this has been discussed on here before. I did a search and found some information, but that I would ask again. Trying to decided between a small class C and a Class B. I am a solo traveler. I teach disabled veterans to scuba dive for therapy. It is nice to be able to be on the go. If I wake up and dive conditions in one spot are not good I want to be able to pick up and move an hour or two down the road. When I tired that with my Class A I found it almost impossible to do. Some places where I dive do not have RV parks, and parking can be difficult to find even for a car. So, I thought about a small class C. However, the class B is so much more maneuverable and easier to park. The class C has so much more room, which I could use, but don't need. When I am not diving I plan to drive around the country for photography. Both RV's cost about the same. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Maybe a B+ would do which can be a B with a dedicated shower stall.

A Ford E-450 C has a lot of the parking problems of an A.

Diving equipment takes a lot of space so I’m sure that is a consideration.

I have both but the C tows a Jeep.

Basically if I’m traveling it is the B, If I’m sitting it is the C.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:01 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Maybe a B+ would do which can be a B with a dedicated shower stall.

A Ford E-450 C has a lot of the parking problems of an A.

Diving equipment takes a lot of space so I’m sure that is a consideration.

I have both but the C tows a Jeep.

Basically if I’m traveling it is the B, If I’m sitting it is the C.

Or maybe a B with a small trailer for the diving gear? The trailer could be dropped in an adjacent parking spot, maybe, in a small lot.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:22 PM   #4

The dive equipment is not much of a problem I keep all of it is a plastic storage container which can be stored in the garage area.
Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 03:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Rent a class b and then rent a class c. That is the only way you can make your own decision based off your experiences.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 04:24 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Whether you stay in RV parks or the marina parking lot will make a difference.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 04:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Class B’s can most often park in a normal car space. A Ford F-150 crew cab long bed is the same length as our 2020 20AT Thor Tellaro. We use it as our daily driver in the summer. Large rear sleeping area and small shower work great. Plenty of room under the bed for gear and even a few 70’s.

Sure Class C’s are roomier, but you pay a price in fuel economy. We’ve gotten 17.5 mi/gal of regular gas since new.

You’ll get a Class B answer on the class B forum.

I also recommend renting to try both B’s and C’s.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 06:55 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I would repeat the recommendation to rent. Some Cruise America locations have what they call a "Compact" Class C, which at 20 ft long is similar to a lot of Class B vans. I've never rented one, but it looks very maneuverable and easily fits in a regular parking space. There is a lot of overlap between B & C in terms of length and inside space, so I think the decision really comes down to specific brands and models rather than B vs C.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:19 PM   #9
Platinum Member

You answered your own question.

“ However, the class B is so much more maneuverable and easier to park. The class C has so much more room, which I could use, but don't need.”

B has practical, useful advantages that you need. C's advantages you don’t need.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:41 PM   #10
Platinum Member

It sounds like a small class b that fits into a standard parking space will best meet your needs. That assumes that you can live with the limited space. If you are uncertain about whether the limited space is acceptable renting a class b might help you decide. You probably won't discover whether the limitations of the class c are acceptable by renting. You will only discover those when you go places where the extra size is an issue.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:14 PM   #11
Platinum Member

My van is a 136” Promaster. 17’9” fits anywhere. Can U-turn on a 2-lane road. Yet two of us can travel for months at a time, nothing needed we don’t have, plus plenty of room to move around.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 06:55 PM   #12
Platinum Member

One problem with Class B's is most all are designed for two people minimum and if you are a true solo traveler you are giving up a lot of space in a small footprint that could make your Class B more creative, comfortable and functional. So just renting and trying will not give you the full potential of what you can have in Class B.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 12:11 AM   #13

i had similar thoughts. I went with the Winnebago Navion. It's on a Sprinter chassis, and only slightly wider than the van itself. I am 26 feet long, and 7 feet 6 inches wide. It is a dry bath, and has plenty of storage space. I get about 16 miles to the gallon, so it's much better than the gas class c that I had. Hope this helps.
Nick&Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 03:42 AM   #14
Bronze Member

Default Class B vs class c

I used to have a class C when I use to camp with my family. Now it’s just me & my dog. I felt that the class C was to big for me. I brought a used 2001 Roadtrek Versatile. Not to big or to small. Just the right size. I use it as both a passenger van & a campervan. I can park in a regular parking spot, plus very easy to drive. I get 13-16 mpg on gas. Also I don’t need to pay for storage as some of my class C friends do. I park it next to my house on the street. Occasionally I’ll get a note on my window from someone who is interested in buying my van. I’m very happy with my class B.
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote