Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2023, 06:20 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Propane Tank Valve Flows Propane Even When Closed

A friend with 99 Roadtrek 190 is visiting. On the built-in tank, when the tank valve is closed (turned clockwise all the way in) there was still propane being supplied to all the appliances. I am assuming the internal valve seat has failed. I have never heard of that happening before. Unfortunately he would need to burn off the propane or just have it bled out to replace the valve.

I am wondering if it would be a good idea to remove and change or service the propane valve at 10-15 years (my Roadtrek is 18 years old). I would not want to be on a trip and have that valve fail in the open position.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Researching valves, here is a disassembly of a tank valve (not a built-in tank). At 10:15 it shows the shutoff valve removed. I am guessing the bottom seat/seal was damaged or has debris underneath that is preventing full closure. I assume the built-in tank has a similar setup.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:29 PM   #3
Platinum Member

My valve was leaking when it was being opened. No leak closed. No leak fully opened. I had mine replaced at a propane dealer. $45 for parts and labor. Took him about 10min. I've ended up buying an electronic gas sniffer and it's helped me diagnose a few issues. But it also gives me some piece of mind in that I routinely check the rear of the fridge, the tank and regulator and around the furnace and water heater. Very easy and fast to use.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 03:53 AM   #4
Platinum Member

The problem is finding one to buy. The RV type on/off valve took me a while to locate with prices from reasonable to rape. For some reason it was not a common valve when I was looking for it. Finally found one for $25.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:17 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
The problem is finding one to buy. The RV type on/off valve took me a while to locate with prices from reasonable to rape. For some reason it was not a common valve when I was looking for it. Finally found one for $25.
Do you have a part number and source?
Old 12-05-2023, 01:40 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I purchased a vintage MH in 2008 and had to replace the propane valve on the tank. I had a propane dealer/distributor replace the valve, after burning off the propane by using the heater. The valve would leak when opening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Propane Valve Repair.jpg (276.7 KB, 11 views)
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 07:08 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Do you have a part number and source?

https://tweetys.com/manchester-tank-...vapor-pol.aspx

the listing calls it a fill valve which I think is an error. THe picture and part number is for the on/off valve.

Here is another.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191922265088
Old 12-07-2023, 04:58 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Finding a listing for a valve and actually getting one are two different things, for some reason.

Maybe the Ebay guy will come through.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:25 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I had the exact same issue. Most things I do myself, but IMO bring it to a propane dealer. I used AmeriGas. They removed the propane via about a 30 foot pipe into the air. They knew exactly what valve was needed. Sometime people here will advise on fixing it yourself and that's fine with most things, but again IMO leave this one to the pros. I think it only cost about $40 for the labor and the part was reasonable. As a side note, he had special tools to get at the PleasureWay 08 Chevy hard to reach valve.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote