Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2021, 03:04 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Better Window For Sprinter Cargo door?

My 2017 ERA 170M is built out of a 2016 dual-rear-wheel 3500 Sprinter van. (just to get the tech stuff out front).

The cargo door window is the one made by Se-Gi, with two crank-out window panels near the bottom. The crank mechanism SUCKS. Both windows are basically half useless, and may or may not open and close reliably at any given moment. I've repaired them, I've been on the phone with the mfg and Winnebago, and it's time for them to go.

Can anyone suggest a good replacement window for the Sprinter Cargo door? I'm open to sliding or crank-out vent windows, as long as it can have a window screen and it's decently reliable.

I see they have one for sale at SprinterWorld that is, at least, different than the one I have... but my experience has been so bad with these windows, I don't want to just plop down $600 without knowing what I'm getting for my money.

Many thanks!
-Winnie ERA 170M ("906" 3500 Sprinter, 6cyl Diesel)
BigFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:52 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Wow... not many options, huh?

If I find anything, I'll put the info here.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

CR Laurance windows are what we have in our '2012 van https://www.crlaurence.com/. No problems with them and I just assumed Winnebago used something comparable so I don't know if they'd be an improvement. But I'd guess that they have something in your size.

Just a general comment. I would only want an "awning-style" window that can be left open during rain. Only about 5% of the nights we've camped has it rained. But on those occasions, being able to leave the windows open and run our Maxxfan ceiling fan made all the difference in being comfortable instead of miserable while boon docking.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:54 PM   #4
Platinum Member

2nd for CR Lawrence windows. I put two in my new personal build both on the cargo door and right behind the drivers seat. Both are awning style and they work great. I believe Pleasureway also uses them and they where in our 2007 PW. They do need periodic lubricating (yearly) to run smoothly.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:41 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks@yvr View Post
2nd for CR Lawrence windows. I put two in my new personal build both on the cargo door and right behind the drivers seat. Both are awning style and they work great. I believe Pleasureway also uses them and they where in our 2007 PW. They do need periodic lubricating (yearly) to run smoothly.
Where do you lube your windows? I've never done mine but I'd rather keep them in good working shape so the don't fail.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Be sure to measure carefully.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:25 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Just a little bit of white grease on the window scissor slide mechanism keeps them opening and closing smoothly. Some of the lubes build up with dust over time so you might need to clean old lube first (paint thinner works well or other degreaser) and then apply fresh lubricant in the slide area where the scissor mechanism moves. It also doesn’t hurt to wash the window seals with a little bit of dish soap and water and a clean rag.
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:28 PM   #8
Platinum Member

could I trouble anyone with these CRL windows to post a photo or video of the crank-out mechanism? I basically just want to make sure it's not a similar design to the ones I'm replacing (which still suck, btw)

Tags
sprinter, window