Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #21
Platinum Member

As I understand it, RVs converted in Canada and sold in the US must use an American built platform. When I bought my first RV from GWV, they had only one US built van left to convert and there was another American woman who had been asking about it. I got my deposit in first, and she had to wait until the next model year vans were imported. It ended up that my completed rig was delivered by the factory because they had someone coming to my town to pick up a Sprinter from the local dealer in ND who supplied both GWV and Pleasureway with their Sprinters.

My LTV platform had a US production location... haven't checked my new rig.

How that affects pricing... haven't a clue.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Yes, and the same applies to units that they deliver to customers in Canada. They must purchase the chassis from a Canadian unit of Chevy, Mercedes, FCA, and they generally pay a higher price for these chassis even accounting for exchange rate, maybe not as much as the retail price difference but higher in any case. Roadtrek shows an extra charge in their price lists for Canadian customers which may reflect the extra cost for the chassis.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #23
Platinum Member

In terms of actual Van production for North American sales, I think the Promasters are all built in Mexico, the only Chevy Express plant is in Missouri, and the Sprinters are built in Europe and directly imported into Canada but for the US they are still avoiding the chicken tax with the reassembly plant in South Carolina. It will be interesting to see if Daimler follows through with the plan for Sprinter production in the US. As I recall their plans were based on significant increases in sales numbers which don't seem to be happening.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Went on the US and Canadian (chose Montreal as place) RAM Promaster sites to build a Mexico built 3500 Promaster, standard length, high roof cargo van. No options except for 220 alternator, plain white, V6 standard engine.

Prices (no local sales tax, but destination charges included)

US $37,260 USD

Canada $35,940 CND

Surprised to see not much of a price spread given current exchange rate of about 1.3 CND to US.

Also surprised to see CND less than USD, given that on the RV sites the CND price is always higher than the USD price

Don't know what to make of it. Anyone have any idea?
Old 09-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Interesting prices on the Promaster, here is

MSRP for Sprinter 3500 170 wb high roof, base price,

$45,385 USD,

$49,300 CND
Old 09-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Of course these are all retail prices for one person buying one vehicle.

Elsewhere - on the "Pleasure Way Update" it was noted that for RV companies there are all kinds of volume fleet sales and promotions. Who knows what RT, WBO or others pay.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #27
Platinum Member

FYI - On website, Winnebago ERAs are now $ TBD. Must be updating for 2016 prices, options and photos. If you click on separate menu you can find 2015 starting price of $108,759 USD.

Any guesses as to new starting price?
Old 09-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #28
Platinum Member

the car rental companies get the big fleet discounts, Hertz buys like 350,000 vehicles per year. total Class B production is like 5,000 per year split between the three chassis manufacturers. if the vehicle manufacturers have excess capacity the discounts get better. didn't I read here that Roadtrek cannot get as many Chevy chassis as they want, production must be near limit. there seem to be a lot of Promasters on dealers lots near me so they are probably giving out good fleet discounts. of course the car rental companies also have more leverage since they can make the manufacturers compete for the business.