Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Cargo carrier

Hi, I had to use an extension for my cargo carrier. ..tire in way...trying to stable ize it... got a stowaway hitch tighener...but still a little sloppy..any ideas...thans..linda
lindadoglady@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Take it to a welder and have them weld on a second receiver to your hitch and a second stinger to your carrier so that it connects in two places. It can't wobble after that and you'll distribute the load across two points, not just the one that has an extension on it.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

When I used an extension I used two hitch tighteners to reduce the slack: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post14861 - one on the extension and one on the item going into the extension receiver.

Dual supports like Eric mentioned are very stable: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post27929

The shims shown above can completely eliminate slop but it will be harder to remove the item from the receiver. I had to pound the support arms out from the back using scrap 2x2 steel tube. I subsequently decided to stop using the shims with the dual support arms as I don't think it is necessary.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I use a harbor freight carrier--- I also use a HF motorcycle carrier.( not at same time)

the latter came with hitch tighteners- so i drilled the cargo carrier to allow use on that.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Hi, I went with the double hitch tighener &small metal shims...feels good. Thanks again. LINDA
lindadoglady@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote