Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2017, 01:58 AM   #121
Platinum Member

Reality is that few dealers have the facilities to maintain the batteries. Invariably if the unit has been sitting for over a couple of weeks, they will be toast. My dealer in MN (Lake Region) expects to replace the batteries in each unit sold... and that is what they do. They are thrilled with those rigs that come in with solar installed.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:05 AM   #122
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Reality is that few dealers have the facilities to maintain the batteries. Invariably if the unit has been sitting for over a couple of weeks, they will be toast. My dealer in MN (Lake Region) expects to replace the batteries in each unit sold... and that is what they do. They are thrilled with those rigs that come in with solar installed.
Yep, I totally agree. Unfortunately, we got ours before Dale took over the Roadtrek dealership, so it was a very sleazy place we dealt with. What was very discouraging was that Roadtrek would not put any pressure or help in getting the dealer to replace the batteries that they ruined. They told us it was up to us to deal with Exide and the dealer, but of course, they were more than happy to accept our payment.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:18 AM   #123
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think that for quite a while, Roadtreks have a battery disconnect switch which eliminates battery parasitic loads and protects batteries for much longer than a couple of weeks.

As far as facilities to maintain the batteries, what more does the dealer need than a receptacle to fire up the coach converter/charger now and then?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:26 AM   #124
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
I think that for quite a while, Roadtreks have a battery disconnect switch which eliminates battery parasitic loads and protects batteries for much longer than a couple of weeks.

As far as facilities to maintain the batteries, what more does the dealer need than a receptacle to fire up the coach converter/charger now and then?
If the unit has wet cells like ours did, they will lose something like 10% or more per month, even with the switch off. Add to that the fact that salesman are pretty non caring, the power was probably on most of the the time. Running occasionally wouldn't really cut it, I think, and they would need a complete charge once a month or so.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:33 AM   #125
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy4x4 View Post
With all due respect, warranties are worth nothing if you end up having to fight with the company and travel to their home province and sit on their doorstep in order to try and get them to respond. There are lots of posts suggesting that some companies are not very responsive to consumer problems. All I am saying is that if someone is comfortable with any company’s warranty, after researching their track records, then go for it. Simply relying on a written warranty coverage is possibly setting you up for a lot of heart ache down the road.
Nobody can dispute the somber fact that there are vendors in every field that fail to live up to the written warranty provided. But, by and large, the only episodes you will ever hear about won't be ones where the vendor quickly and adequately responds, but will be the incidents where the vendor weaves and dodges. That doesn't change the unadorned fact that with a written comprehensive warranty you can pursue some recourse. Without that comprehensive written warranty ...you got bupkis.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:46 AM   #126
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nobody can dispute the somber fact that there are vendors in every field that fail to live up to the written warranty provided. But, by and large, the only episodes you will ever hear about won't be ones where the vendor quickly and adequately responds, but will be the incidents where the vendor weaves and dodges. That doesn't change the unadorned fact that with a written comprehensive warranty you can pursue some recourse. Without that comprehensive written warranty ...you got bupkis.
We had all the warranty information, that appeared to say that the batteries should be covered, but they all still told us to buzz off and take care of it ourselves. We certainly would have won in small claims court, but is it worth all the hassle for $200? We didn't think so.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:49 AM   #127
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We had all the warranty information, that appeared to say that the batteries should be covered, but they all still told us to buzz off and take care of it ourselves. We certainly would have won in small claims court, but is it worth all the hassle for $200? We didn't think so.
Actually, when the same thing happened when we picked up our 2005 Airstream Interstate, I just took the van to the nearest battery shop that carried the brand. They swapped them right out for free under the battery's warranty. No issue at all. Easier than dealing with Airstream, to say the least.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:53 AM   #128
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Actually, when the same thing happened when we picked up our 2005 Airstream Interstate, I just took the van to the nearest battery shop that carried the brand. They swapped them right out for free under the battery's warranty. No issue at all. Easier than dealing with Airstream, to say the least.
We actually tried that, after Roadrek disavowed responsibility. Went to an Exide dealer, who referred us to the corporate office phone number, who told us the warranty started when Roadtrek put them in the van at the factory, so no help for us, goodby.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:19 AM   #129
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We actually tried that, after Roadrek disavowed responsibility. Went to an Exide dealer, who referred us to the corporate office phone number, who told us the warranty started when Roadtrek put them in the van at the factory, so no help for us, goodby.
As a practical matter, I don't think that Exide had the slightest idea or interest in the date the batteries were were actually put in the coach. They probably used the invoice date or the evidence of customer receipt date.

With the advent of dual alternators and independent battery systems that delete the bidirectional separator, I think there is going to be an uptick in premature engine battery failures that can only be charged by the engine alternator unless some aftermarket bandage is applied.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #130
Platinum Member

Quote:
As a practical matter, I don't think that Exide had the slightest idea or interest in the date the batteries were were actually put in the coach. They probably used the invoice date or the evidence of customer receipt date.

With the advent of dual alternators and independent battery systems that delete the bidirectional separator, I think there is going to be an uptick in premature engine battery failures that can only be charged by the engine alternator unless some aftermarket bandage is applied.
ARV installs a Trik-L-Start or Amp-L-Start and some Roadtrek owners do the same, probably should be standard equipment on the Roadtreks with the underhood generator.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #131
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
ARV installs a Trik-L-Start or Amp-L-Start and some Roadtrek owners do the same, probably should be standard equipment on the Roadtreks with the underhood generator.
This is true, but those devices protect the CHASSIS battery, not the house battery. I have assumed that the above discussion concerns the latter. I think that the process of collecting on OEM battery warranties is less fraught.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #132
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is true, but those devices protect the CHASSIS battery, not the house battery. I have assumed that the above discussion concerns the latter. I think that the process of collecting on OEM battery warranties is less fraught.
Very true but I was simply responding to a post about keeping the chassis battery charged when there is an aux alternator and no battery separator...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #133
Platinum Member

Quote:

My 2015 RT has said battery disconnect (as did my previous 2 rigs back to 2004), but in about a week, the batteries will be way down. There seems to always be too many parasites. My first rig came with a trickle charger on the coach batteries and I just kept it plugged in all the time. My second coach had to be plugged in once it sat 7-10 days or the batteries would be approaching 50%... and that was with the battery disconnected. Now my solar keeps me charged... if I have the batteries disconnected.

I would guess that the dealers you know didn't have much of an inventory. (a receptacle??) My dealer in MN would have a major process trying to remember which needs charging and when - and an extra employee just to ferry all the rigs to the receptacle. This is why they made the obvious choice that it is easier and cheaper to just replace the batteries when the rig is sold.

I'm not sure why they don't just disconnect the house batteries... at least the ones that are accessible.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #134
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Very true but I was simply responding to a post about keeping the chassis battery charged when there is an aux alternator and no battery separator...
Oops. Sorry, I missed the word "engine" in the message you responded to.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #135
Site Team

Quote:
My 2015 RT has said battery disconnect (as did my previous 2 rigs back to 2004), but in about a week, the batteries will be way down. There seems to always be too many parasites.
IMO, a master battery disconnect should be upstream of ALL parasitic loads. In our van, the only things left connected are (a) the solar controller (which hopefully is a net source of charge) and (b) the Trik-L-Start (which I leave connected so that the chassis battery can participate in solar charging).

If I did not have solar or if I stored the vehicle indoors, even these would be switched. If you do this, AGM batteries will last many months.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #136
Platinum Member

Quote:
IMO, a master battery disconnect should be upstream of ALL parasitic loads. In our van, the only things left connected are (a) the solar controller (which hopefully is a net source of charge) and (b) the Trik-L-Start (which I leave connected so that the chassis battery can participate in solar charging).

If I did not have solar or if I stored the vehicle indoors, even these would be switched. If you do this, AGM batteries will last many months.
I totally agree, and ours is similarly wired. We have the original control panel switch relay to cut the 12v power to the coach with the Intellitec relay, and then we also have a big manual switch the takes everything off the batteries, including things like the inverter/charger and battery monitors that stay on with the coach power off. All that is left is the solar controller connected to the batteries, and it is just the power side, not the output for charging which is disconnected. If we want to kill the solar also, there is an easy to pull fuse by the big disconnect. The solar controller needs to be powered up and have the 12v reference whenever the panels are in sunlight, or turned on in sunlight. If no power on the controller, you can get a huge voltage spike, per the manufacturers.

If we are plugged in for storage, the main disconnect is on, and the coach usually off. We have manual separator to the starting battery, so that is turned on to keep it full at the same time.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #137
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy4x4 View Post
The price between those units (between the RT and the Advanced RV) I suspect is substantial.

Why did you not like PW?
I do like pleasureway. When we dug deeper, we realised the pleasureway storage wasn't very functional. The Zion is a lot better in that respect; especially with the pull out pantry and deeper cabinets. We also have a dog that we are concerned what to do with when we have to leave her behind. The Roadtrek power solutions with voltstart and ecotrek looked to provide a good solution. If any of it actually works, hopefully it lives up to advertising.
Cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:50 PM   #138
Platinum Member

Once you look at the difference in prices you'll realize that the long warranties are not offered for free. You either pay up front by paying their higher prices, or buy a cheaper brand, roll the dice and may have some costs to pay down the road. As they say, there ain't no free lunch.

While many like the idea of the underhood generator, it's application on the Promaster is very problematic in my view. It's low to the ground and very exposed to water, slush and road debris. I'd like to see some data on warranty claims on these units over the next few years and how it compares to the Onans.

I'd also like to hear some feedback on FCA's position on their drivetrain warranty with these extra alternators attached, and the significant idling time resulting from their use.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #139
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Once you look at the difference in prices you'll realize that the long warranties are not offered for free. You either pay up front by paying their higher prices, or buy a cheaper brand, roll the dice and may have some costs to pay down the road. As they say, there ain't no free lunch.

While many like the idea of the underhood generator, it's application on the Promaster is very problematic in my view. It's low to the ground and very exposed to water, slush and road debris. I'd like to see some data on warranty claims on these units over the next few years and how it compares to the Onans.

I'd also like to hear some feedback on FCA's position on their drivetrain warranty with these extra alternators attached, and the significant idling time resulting from their use.
you bought a tiffin allegro-are you kidding me -wow
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:59 PM   #140
Silver Member

Default Battery Research Time 4ME

Quote:
I honestly love reading through all these posts while I wait for my Aktiv! I *was* going to read a nice mystery novel tonight by the fire, while watching it snow here in Portland. But now I'm going to do some more *learning* about batteries and how to avoid a dead engine battery while boondocking in the middle of one of Oregon's no cell service areas! Ah yes, such an amazing Saturday night. ~ Chris
4DMTNS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hymer