Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-03-2024, 01:49 PM   #1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,864
Default Customer service deterioration

The whole customer service thing seems to be going downhill and very many companies for a while now, I think.


Things like offshoring the call centers, representatives just regurgitating scripted responses, no supervisors available or reciting the same speech, etc was probably just the beginning.


Digital assistants now seem to be all the rage, I am sure because they always stay on script and are cheap, regardless of whether they are decent or useless to the customer.


UPS in our area has been having all kinds of problems lately, at least for us, with packages going into the black hole of the local distribution center and either not being found until days later or possible found 500 miles away because they put it the package on the wrong truck. There customer service lines have probably been very busy lately.


The following notice, in a box on the tracking screen, kind of sums up to me their attitude toward customer service.


Quote:
You're Seeing Everything
You have the same information as our customer agents. If you need more support, use the virtual assistant.

Kind of a blunt, rude, what you get is what you get attitude IMO.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 03:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Red-Neck Riveria - (Fort Walton Beach, FL)
Posts: 187
Default

So far, we've been pretty fortunate in our area. I have developed a friendship with our UPS driver as he is not only our route driver, but also a gun-shootin'-gearhead. So each brief stop is a quick chat and get him on his way.

Yesterday's delivery I asked about the reduction @ UPS (12,000 total system wide), and how it was going to impact our local service. Locally everybody took a step down in route scheduling. Most senior dropped down some hours, and those at the bottom dropped out. His route shifted to less desirable days/hours, but still on the bus.

Note: the average Florida salary is about $22 per hour + overtime. Top-end drivers maybe get close to $50/hour. It is impolite to ask specific salary questions, so those are published figures. But apparently, about 1/3 of the cuts at UPS will be in Admin, who are not union. Perhaps that cost cutting is the customer service? There are suggestions that the reductions will cut their margin by $0.01 for every dollar they make, while increasing the pay in the new contract.

There is something going on. I won't dare speculate here {rules are rules}.
But the focus seems to be on shareholder profit - not customer satisfaction. After all, who else will make the delivery? Sort of the; "Take it or Leave it."

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 03:25 PM   #3
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: California
Posts: 85
Default

Have to agree that customer service for many suppliers suck eggs. From nonexistent to inexperienced customer service reps, it can be super frustrating not to get the assistance we need. It does happen occasionally that I have a better understanding of the subject of my call, than the Rep. Most often that's not the case. You on the other hand have a greater understanding and experience than most, so maybe that's a large part of frustration. My lastest DIY on the 02C190P was the removal and replacement of the old 2800KV Onan. Of course, folks on ClassB were more than helpful beginning with the decision to replace it. By the time I made a decision there were no available Gens online. Everything was backordered, maybe because of the fuel hose recall issues or maybe because of limited supply due to increased RV manufacturers' orders. I ended calling ShopCummins who found one in stock at the Cummins Western Supply Distribution Center in Irvine Ca. Got a good online type price from their Sales Department who usually only sell to their Dealers. Received the Gen and all the needed extras in a week, except the exhaust kit which was on back order for another 2 months. 2 weeks later everything was installed except the exhaust. Most importantly while the Installation Manual was not great multiple calls to Cummins tech support were excellent and they walked me through the installation process as needed. I still needed the 36" straight pipe kit so started looking for a alternate source of the 1" pipe. Not finding a good source I finally called ShopCummins again and the kit was still on back order. The Rep without my asking did a nationwide wide search and found a kit at their Alburquerque location. She called them to check availability and I received it in 3 days. This was all unexpected and that made these excellent Customer Service contacts all the better. Myself, it reinforces the idea of the cup always being half full. So..... Good roads and a good year Booster. Thanks again for the continuing education.
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:54 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: fl
Posts: 227
Default

Been at this long time and customer service is in the toilet almost every place I deal with. I am pleasantly surprised when I get good service.


AI for customer service may be a big help instead of some person that can only follow a script.

Called Vizio CS recently and the lady was an ACE, still when I told her I had already rebooted she said she has a procedure to follow and cannot deviate.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:46 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 430
Default

Customer service? WHAT customer service? I go into my locally owned bank branch and ask a question. What do I get in response? Scripts. I don't want scripts I want an answer to my question. I suggest perhaps the manager could help me. I am left standing in the lobby and a young lady comes over to me. I ask "Are you the manager?" "I am this week" was the reply. She didn't have a clue about what I was asking and said I would need to go the bank's main headquarters downtown. That's fifteen or so miles away. I wasn't in the mood for that and thought it was an insane suggestion.

I called "customer service" and got .............ready?..............scripts.

That is not a national bank, a local institution and it really makes no difference. It is all about saving a fraction of a cent a share for that quarter and executive compensation based on short term results with little regard for the future.

All the slick expensive ads in the world don't compensate for the poor responses we all receive from most sources every day.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 04:44 PM   #6
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,310
Default

[Moderators' Note:
Please limit any future contributions to this thread to RV-related content. Thank you.]
__________________
Now: 2022 Fully-custom buildout (Ford Transit EcoBoost AWD)
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 05:51 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: fl
Posts: 227
Default

I am looking to purchase rear leaf springs for my 2002 Chevy Express cutaway which was converted to a Roadtrek 200 popular.

I can save a fair chunk of money by ordering the springs online. There are many springs available for the Chevy 3500 which may be a van, a box truck or an RV. I am unable to get any answers from sellers and even with 2 trips to the dealer I am not 100% sure they have the right part number.

The guy at the truck spring place is kinda crabby and seemed like he did not want to be bothered.

I accidentally found on car part.com that I have an 8 leaf cutaway RV spring.

The OE part number might be15225237 some places say discontinued yet some sites will sell it to me. Then there are replaced by numbers one of which is 84205631 which the sites tell me is does not fit my vehicle. Phone calls and PM get me no place which may force me to spend quite a bit more and buy from the dealer so I am not stuck trying to get a refund from a faceless corporation and forced to pay return shipping.

There is much more to this story but do not want to use up all my electrons.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 06:09 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
I am looking to purchase rear leaf springs for my 2002 Chevy Express cutaway which was converted to a Roadtrek 200 popular.

I can save a fair chunk of money by ordering the springs online. There are many springs available for the Chevy 3500 which may be a van, a box truck or an RV. I am unable to get any answers from sellers and even with 2 trips to the dealer I am not 100% sure they have the right part number.

The guy at the truck spring place is kinda crabby and seemed like he did not want to be bothered.

I accidentally found on car part.com that I have an 8 leaf cutaway RV spring.

The OE part number might be15225237 some places say discontinued yet some sites will sell it to me. Then there are replaced by numbers one of which is 84205631 which the sites tell me is does not fit my vehicle. Phone calls and PM get me no place which may force me to spend quite a bit more and buy from the dealer so I am not stuck trying to get a refund from a faceless corporation and forced to pay return shipping.

There is much more to this story but do not want to use up all my electrons.

This should probably be in your other thread but take a look at this link.


https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/oem-che...er=(m=CG31932)


In the the description they give the RPO code for the springs that should be on your RPO sticker somewhere on the van, likely on one of the doors or door jams. It it will be an about 2.5X3.5" white sticker with black numbers listed on it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 07:45 PM   #9
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: California
Posts: 85
Default

My 02C190P Roadtrek rear leaf RPO is E23, and is not a cutaway. I'm thinking the RPO for the cutaway is CN7 , which would be 15035989 replaced with 8420532. Check out Rockauto. They have a Dayton and a Dorman aftermarket for cutoff Chevy Express
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:42 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: fl
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
This should probably be in your other thread but take a look at this link.


https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/oem-che...er=(m=CG31932)


In the the description they give the RPO code for the springs that should be on your RPO sticker somewhere on the van, likely on one of the doors or door jams. It it will be an about 2.5X3.5" white sticker with black numbers listed on it.
I posted here because of poor customer service, this should not be an issue. Because of past experience's I don't trust them anymore. If there is an issue I want to be able to say Allen Smith in parts employee number 3 assured me it was the correct part or be able to show the email stating the same. Return shippin on those springs would be $$$$ Other than that I will pay more with no shipping.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:46 PM   #11
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
I posted here because of poor customer service, this should not be an issue. Because of past experience's I don't trust them anymore. If there is an issue I want to be able to say Allen Smith in parts employee number 3 assured me it was the correct part or be able to show the email stating the same. Return shippin on those springs would be $$$$ Other than that I will pay more with no shipping.

Mentioning putting it the other thread had nothing to do with customer service tie in. I mentioned it because that is where all the rest of the information is and in the future folks won't ever find the information here about springs and part numbers. The great thing about the forum is the availability of lots of past discussions with their wealth of information in them.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:31 PM   #12
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: fl
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorman View Post
My 02C190P Roadtrek rear leaf RPO is E23, and is not a cutaway. I'm thinking the RPO for the cutaway is CN7 , which would be 15035989 replaced with 8420532. Check out Rockauto. They have a Dayton and a Dorman aftermarket for cutoff Chevy Express
The Chevy dealer for more money says it is part #84205631 but cannot confirm verify it is. With the dealer I do not have to pay return shipping or even take the part.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:47 PM   #13
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: fl
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Mentioning putting it the other thread had nothing to do with customer service tie in. I mentioned it because that is where all the rest of the information is and in the future folks won't ever find the information here about springs and part numbers. The great thing about the forum is the availability of lots of past discussions with their wealth of information in them.
Good point I will be happy to put the numbers in the other thread when I am sure what the correct numbers are.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:04 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 648
Default

In large companies customer service is a cost centre that doesn't produce any revenue. Its run by middle level managers with very little influence unless top management and the marketing department think customer satisfaction is an important sales attribute. It tells you something about the large RV manufacturer's priorities.

The more general problem is that there is a shortage of workers and very high turn over. There was a time when you had people at the front desk who had been there for years and really understood the business. Now that position turns over very quickly and the inexperienced people doing it have to rely on scripted responses that may or may not actually address the problem. The same goes for repair staff. The result is that there is no real consequence for sloppy work or reward for good quality work.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.