Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2024, 03:14 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default 02C190P rear disc brake conversion.

Been looking at rear disc brake conversion kits for my 02C190P Roadtrek. Looks like Lugnut4x4 in Tennessee has a good kit for my GM 14 bolt 10.5 inch full floating rear end. I have seen other kits, but I'm thinking the Lugnut Kit with its emergency brake option on the caliper would be best for the RT. My 02 Chevy RPO code for Roadtrek brakes is JB8, Power Disc Drum. I have a 2010 Chevy 2500HD pickup that has discs on all 4 wheels, JH6. Even when fully loaded in the bed and towing a total of 2 tons of hard wood flooring, I have much better braking than the Roadtrek. Has anyone made or considered this conversion and if so any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 04:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Just an FYI. My 2003 has rear discs on a full floating axle from the factory. Parts manual may give you info if you need it.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 07:12 PM   #3
Gold Member

I did look into an OEM conversion. I have not found a kit that is OEM and not certain yet if the '02 14 bolt 10,5" rear end would accommodate '03 and later disc brake components. There are a lot of differences between '02 and the next generation '03 Chevy Express rear disc brakes being one of the differences. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:47 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The GM corporate axle is made by AAM most likely and the was the axle in the pre 2003 vans and had drum brakes. The 2003 and up used either a Dana 9.75" or Dana 10.5" so probably unlikely that the new would fit on the old.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 12:50 AM   #5
Gold Member

Definitely have the AAM rear end in the 02 Roadtrek per Hoopers Rear End in Los Angeles who installed the Detroit Truetrac limited slip in November. Guess you had a small typo and you meant unlikely. I'll be contacting Lugnut4x4.com about a kit on Monday. Thanks
Old 02-06-2024, 09:21 PM   #6
Gold Member

Update : I finally was able to communicate with lugnut4x4 who do offer a kit that has an emergency brake. Unlike the OEM design of small shoes inside the rotors. Lugnut's ebrake accommodates a mechanical design that links the e brake cable directly to the caliber. This design does not accommodate a readily available brand name brake pad. Instead, I was informed that they have pads that are specifically custom made for them and their ebrake caliber. I'm not willing to go forward with their conversion kit based on a reliance of a custom made pad only available from them. Thank you all for taking the time to offer ideas and suggestion.