Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2018, 06:07 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Self driving cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
I don't agree that just because a vehicle is 20 years old, it must be obsolete and difficult to live with. That's a purely subjective assessment. I understand that your Dodge was having problems, but if a vehicle still does what you need it to do and it's not breaking down all the time, its age is utterly irrelevant. New technology isn't essential just because it's new. In fact, it can introduce new problems you hadn't encountered before. Ultimately, everyone has to determine for themselves what best fulfills their needs...old or new, entry level or high end, etc.

As far as safety goes, people have been driving themselves around, without autonomous tech, for more than a century and that will continue to be the case for decades to come. I'm not against it, but its full implementation is so far off that it's not a consideration for me. Fully autonomous vehicles won't be a reality for at least 30 years, in my opinion, and that's fine with me. I'm old school in that way, I guess. I have no problem driving myself, I prefer it actually, and will continue to do it for as long as I can, which will likely be the rest of my driving life.
I've read that by 2035 they expect 50% of all vehicles to be self driving.... probably take another 15 years to 2050 before you see that fully implemented... I don't expect to be around long enough to see 2050...

It's going to be a major cultural change... insurance companies will likely allow people to still drive a non autonomous vehicle provided you're willing to pay a lot of extra money... computers don't take unnecessary risks....cars will be like an appliance to get you from point A to B.....the thrill of driving will likely be gone.... think of it this way...you can't realistically take your horse anywhere you want... like in the old west......

Things change....I'm NOT saying that a 20 years old car is unsafe... but, a 1950s car... yeah, they are unsafe......

There's a tipping point at which cars lacking certain safety standards are inherently unsafe... think no seat belts, no air bags, no collapsible steering wheel., No ABS, no disc brakes, ...the list goes on.. do you see what I mean???

Look, enjoy your 1998..RV.. trust me..it's still pretty good..no reason to replace it....

I really don't like older vehicles... I'm talking 1960s and earlier... they just aren't statistically safe compared to today's vehicles....

Thankfully, most of these are no longer on the road.....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote