Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2024, 04:12 PM   #1

Default Fishing on Texas City Dike?

Hello all, I am currently staying at an RV park near Texas City and they are suggesting this place for fishing: http://www.bayrvpark.com/discover-th...-fishing-pier/. Anyone know if there is good fishing on this dike/pier? Got any tips or suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Frank Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:09 PM   #2
otr
Gold Member

Fishing may be great, this said, I would not eat anything out of those waters. The petrochemical industry really does not offer food additives I would want to consume.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...48969719353562

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/06...missions-tceq/
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:41 PM   #3
Gold Member

My family has been catching fish, shrimp, and crabs out of Galveston bay, when including my parents (I'm 74 years old) and dining on same for over 100 years, including up to today, and somehow have all survived the ordeal. Most people don't realize this, but Galveston bay is close to or actually is the largest source of Blue crab and oysters (tons of shrimp too) in the USA, although portions of the bay, specifically at the juncture of the Houston ship channel, which is at the other end of the bay from the dike (and it's a BIG bay) are closed to crabbing and oystering. The dike terminates very close (maybe less than a mile?) from the jetties extending into the Gulf of Mexico, and thus is regularily flushed by the tides. The channel that is dredged up to 45' depth to accommodate large ships is quite close to the end of the dike, especially on the North side, and a lot of folks use surf casting gear there to get as close as possible to the channel, bottom fishing for large Black drum, redfish, sharks, stc.. There are also some flats at the beginning of the dike also on the North side, some accessable by wading, with scattered shallow reefs in that area as well. You will find most people however fishing along the South side of the dike which is lined all along it's length with large Granite boulders. Light to medium gear is primarily used there for Reds, Trout, Flounder and the like. If you have a boat or are considering chartering one, there are literally hundreds of other areas in the bay that can offer truly excellent fishing opertunities as well. Don't miss on a day trip to Galveston island either, and enjoy your stay!
nicaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:38 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Some B folks are older, so the chance of any bay petrochemical stuff doing them in is virtually zero.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:26 AM   #5
Gold Member

Well Mr. Bud, I suggest that you do your research a bit more before you apparently are dissing my comment here. Although this forum is intended to be associated with Class B issues in general, I commented as a result of another person's lack of knowledge regarding the lack of understanding of the health of the Galveston bay's general safety in regards to eating seafood from this ecosystem. To make myself a bit more clear, my children, and my grandchildren, and probably millions of other folks living, fishing, and eating what they catch in this ecosystem are devoid of health issues. Now granted, I am very concerned about the pollution that our world is having to face today. I am most definitely not a pollution denier, and very, very far from that. The fact is, as I pointed out in my original post, is that eating various marine life taken from the vast majority of the Galveston bay system (with the exceptions that I noted) is perfectly safe. I suggest that you do some research before you comment in this regard. Otherwise, it would probably suit you better to stop eating Speckled trout, redfish, Flouder, Blue Crab, and shrimp that is caught, produced, and shipped to you in the USA.
nicaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 11:06 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Looks to me like Bud was sorta agreeing with you.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 12:33 PM   #7
Site Team

Moderators' note:
Back on topic, please. Future messages with no RV-related content will be deleted.
Thanks for your cooperation.
--The Moderators
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote