Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2024, 05:01 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default free over night places to camp South Tampa,FL area

Pls recommend free over night places to camp.
I’m planning a trip to Bradenton,Florida it’s just south of Tampa.
This will actuely be the first real trip previous trips where to family.

So far I’ve mapped out a couple Cracker barrels an a few Walmarts ( not sure if the Walmart even allows camping in centrel FL I know that in the Panhandle of FL the counties Okaloosa an Walton co. do not allow camping ) would like to spend one night on skyway bridge state park.

I’d prefer free but will pay for a camping parking spot, reluctant to make reservations bc it’s yet to be determined how long this trip will be.

Objective of this trip is to survey the area for me to relocate to.like find the neighborhood I like. I like being close to a big city but far enough away from the lunatics.

Sure I can search online for a property an filter whats important to me. The #1 is a decent amount of road frontage. These ppl in centrel FL think ¼ acre is a big lot. I need at minium 75’ road frontage where I can drive a large SUV an my 24’ ocean vessel into back yard plus want to keep my pleasureway in back to 1/4 acre an a 15-1800 square ft home will hog up the whole lot, I mite could get by w/ 1/3 acre double lots are hard to find close to Gulf.

This small lot issue is very important to me. I’d like to have a water front property that’s close to Gulf access which seriously increases the budget. Don’t mind trailering vessel for at least the next 5-10 years.
Then maybe move to a marina type place.

Pls recommend free places to camp.
or better recommend neighborhoods w/ no HOA telling me no vessel no RV no pets no washing the car in driveway ect.
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cracker barrel 67th st cir E.jpg (274.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg cracker barrel Cortez rd W.jpg (127.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Walmarts in Bradenton area.jpg (103.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg mirimar bch.jpg (225.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-18-2024, 09:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Most of FL has become kind of a pain to find free places, but they are out there. When I want to stay in the Tampa area I use the oversize economy parking at Tampa airport. I do not put out the awning or set anything up and so far no one has bothered me, but only done it twice. $14 a day. It is close to the runway, its an airport, everything is close to the runway!
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:03 PM   #3

I would research the boat launchs, fishing piers and adjacent facilites which can include large parking lots and restrooms ertc. Some do not close at sunset or 10-11 pm like many parks and beaches but instead are open 7/24 o allow for night fishing etc.

Prime example is the Sunshine Skyway fishing piers that are considered state parks. There are several small fee required but the pass is god for 24 hrs. You can drive your vehicle out on the pier and fish all night. Both North and South piers have bait stores rental rods and rest rooms. NOTE: Signs say NO RVs so is you vehicle a VAN or RV? I see a lot of cargo vans and full size pickups parked out there.

You will see a lot of RVs and Tents at Both the North and South Ends thay are not out on the fishing pier. You may or may not get away with overnight parking here.
justducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I would suggest the Walmart in Bradenton. I never noticed a sign forbidding parking and often have seen RVs there as I drive by. Best of luck finding a large property near the water that isn't in an HOA. Bad for people with toys to store, but Florida loves their HOAs. Cortez would be a good bet except that the lots are pretty tight. The good news is there are a bunch of storage lots right there that probably don't cost much. There is a huge boat launch and lots of beach and parking on the causeway to Anna Maria Island in case you land between Bradenton and Cortez.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:12 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Most of FL has become kind of a pain to find free places, but they are out there. When I want to stay in the Tampa area I use the oversize economy parking at Tampa airport. I do not put out the awning or set anything up and so far no one has bothered me, but only done it twice. $14 a day. It is close to the runway, its an airport, everything is close to the runway!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky View Post
I would research the boat launchs, fishing piers and adjacent facilites which can include large parking lots and restrooms ertc. Some do not close at sunset or 10-11 pm like many parks and beaches but instead are open 7/24 o allow for night fishing etc.

Prime example is the Sunshine Skyway fishing piers that are considered state parks. There are several small fee required but the pass is god for 24 hrs. You can drive your vehicle out on the pier and fish all night. Both North and South piers have bait stores rental rods and rest rooms. NOTE: Signs say NO RVs so is you vehicle a VAN or RV? I see a lot of cargo vans and full size pickups parked out there.

You will see a lot of RVs and Tents at Both the North and South Ends thay are not out on the fishing pier. You may or may not get away with overnight parking here.
Quote:
mite be a tad loud for me but thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky View Post

definitely will be inspecting the boat lauches bc I'll most likely be using them.the lauches in the panhandle have signs no overnight parking but i leave my tow vehicle w/ trailer there for 3 -4 days always slept on vessel.
technically the vehicle is a RV however I recently removed the roof AC, so it appears kindof like a van.
my pleasureway came w/ dark tinted windows, I've added one way perforated vinyle where a peeking tom can't see inside unless I have lights on.like what is barney fifth gonna do if I don't answer the 3am knock tow the van/ wheel lock it/write a tickect/ go around asking the ppl fishing for ID bc they are hunting me? I'll proballey answer the knock to avoid any nonsense. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
I would suggest the Walmart in Bradenton. I never noticed a sign forbidding parking and often have seen RVs there as I drive by. Best of luck finding a large property near the water that isn't in an HOA. Bad for people with toys to store, but Florida loves their HOAs. Cortez would be a good bet except that the lots are pretty tight. The good news is there are a bunch of storage lots right there that probably don't cost much. There is a huge boat launch and lots of beach and parking on the causeway to Anna Maria Island in case you land between Bradenton and Cortez.
leaning toward the W.Bradenton area 1st launch I'll check is warner, this area has decent sized homes that arn't to old, an none HOA
seams any coastal area the older homes are the choicest locations close to water.
thanks got logged out in a couple minutes.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:18 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I've been in touch w/ a few realtors, I've picked out a few prospects that I want to tour.they will shoafer me around so my van mite just sit in there parking lot if I feel safe.

like they want the 2% fee. of a sold property.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:19 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Good luck. It is a complete cluster these days. I suggest you go to Arcadia or Zolfo Springs, maybe you can find a place there. You ain’t gonna find squat where you are looking. Sorry but that is the truth. I live here.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:05 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
Good luck. It is a complete cluster these days. I suggest you go to Arcadia or Zolfo Springs, maybe you can find a place there. You ain’t gonna find squat where you are looking. Sorry but that is the truth. I live here.
the realator is pushing the Northpoint area, I can get a new larger home w/ enough property to park my stuff.
I normaley go to panhandle but don't want to live in a small city.
I was actuel thinking NP is out in the middle of nowhere.
I do know the farrer south you go the higher the property taxs.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:04 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBRAIN View Post
the realator is pushing the Northpoint area, I can get a new larger home w/ enough property to park my stuff.
I normaley go to panhandle but don't want to live in a small city.
I was actuel thinking NP is out in the middle of nowhere.
I do know the farrer south you go the higher the property taxs.
Did you mean north port? Maybe that will work for ya. Hope it does
Old 03-20-2024, 03:47 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
Did you mean north port? Maybe that will work for ya. Hope it does
Northpoint proballey over a hour to Gulf via the bay. whats appealing to me is the foot of tampas bay like hogfish/grouper ect in 20' of water. we don't have that in panhandle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Northpoint.jpg (102.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-22-2024, 10:35 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Northpoint proballey over a hour to Gulf via the bay. whats appealing to me is the foot of tampas bay like hogfish/grouper ect in 20' of water. we don't have that in panhandle.
I believe you are pointing to the North Port area. I lived near there, in Englewood, for a number of years. I ran my 17' Aquasport center console up and down the Intracoastal, and sailed my sailboat on Charlotte Harbor. My RoadTrek 190 I kept in the driveway at our house.
Back then, there was an RV park right off Rt 41 at the Myakka River that might work for you while you look around. I think that area has been built up quite a bit since I lived there. Most likely, most properties are HOA.
Personally, I liked the Englewood area. We had a good sized lot where I kept the little boat and RV, and I could launch at the nearby ramp and be on the Gulf in 15 minutes. Actually, the fishing was great right behind the keys at Stump Pass, and I caught some nice fish there off my sailboat. This area is not really close to any cities, though, which is actually why we liked it there.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:53 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Higher tax the farther south you go is not always true. Unless money does not mean anything check with an insurance agent as Hurricane insurance here is sky high and the insurance company may not be on the up and up.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:36 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
I believe you are pointing to the North Port area. I lived near there, in Englewood, for a number of years. I ran my 17' Aquasport center console up and down the Intracoastal, and sailed my sailboat on Charlotte Harbor. My RoadTrek 190 I kept in the driveway at our house.
Back then, there was an RV park right off Rt 41 at the Myakka River that might work for you while you look around. I think that area has been built up quite a bit since I lived there. Most likely, most properties are HOA.
Personally, I liked the Englewood area. We had a good sized lot where I kept the little boat and RV, and I could launch at the nearby ramp and be on the Gulf in 15 minutes. Actually, the fishing was great right behind the keys at Stump Pass, and I caught some nice fish there off my sailboat. This area is not really close to any cities, though, which is actually why we liked it there.
I think I'll like anywhere near the river mangroves/bay an gulf. thanks for the tip on RV spot this will most likely be a quickie trip 4-5 days.

Quote:
Higher tax the farther south you go is not always true. Unless money does not mean anything check with an insurance agent as Hurricane insurance here is sky high and the insurance company may not be on the up and up.
thanks in all the excitment I've kindof over looked insurance. to be honest I know very little about how coastal FL is zoned.
I live in centrel Alabama 3 hours from gulf so I'm in no rush to move. the last 2 years home sellers have extremely appreciated the homes an there getting the $ now I see seller reducing the prices bc ppl are either hard up or are waiting the sellers out to not be so greedy.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:54 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think I'll like anywhere near the river mangroves/bay an gulf. thanks for the tip on RV spot this will most likely be a quickie trip 4-5 days.

thanks in all the excitment I've kindof over looked insurance. to be honest I know very little about how coastal FL is zoned.
I live in centrel Alabama 3 hours from gulf so I'm in no rush to move. the last 2 years home sellers have extremely appreciated the homes an there getting the $ now I see seller reducing the prices bc ppl are either hard up or are waiting the sellers out to not be so greedy.
Vehicle insurance in Florida is on the higher end. My homeowner/hurricane in the last 15 years has went from $1200 to $6000 last year, that is with a $6000 deductible, can almost double that for wood frame house! I decided to drop hurricane coverage and just have normal homeowners. I am in a non flood zone so flood insurance is only $1200 year! 1500 sq ft house. Non flood zone but can get 1 inch of rain per hour all day long!

Investigative reporters did a report on bad insurance company's and used the company I had as their poster child!