Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2024, 01:10 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default GRECHRV requires cabinet door open for remote control to work on DVD/media player?

My experience has been that GRECHRV requires the cabinet door fully open for remote control to work on DVD/media player.

The person in the back of the van wants to watch DVD and media on USB drive however is unable to control it especially with pause/play unless the cabinet door is fully open.

Cabinet door open creates a bit of a hazard especially when moving and sharp corners of the door exposed, etc.. I am told that its suppose to work with it closed but have never meet a person who can confirm this.

The remote is an IR(usually requires line of sight) vs RF that can work though walls. The HDMI-CEC that can allow some control via the HDMI can't play/pause because the Vizio remote control does not have a play/pause button on it. The TV remote can't send those signals via the HDMI.

Questions presented to their YouTube so-called brand ambassadors are nonsensical, strange in odd responses. Including that they have never owned a DVD and will never own a DVD so they can't test it. When explain it will work with a USB flash drive with any video file on it, they admitted they do have those but still would refuse to test it. That it's easier to get satellite internet and multiple cell phone internet services and stream vs trying to play local media.

Seems like an expensive and complex option vs having some local stored media. They later claim that Grech should rip out the DVD player on the next model because no one knows what a DVD player is or how to use one. It's almost like they are trying to sweep this problem under the rug and act like it does not exist.

All this because I asked a simple question about the remote control not working when the cabinet door was closed.

I don't know why I can't get a straight answer to this simple question
MysteryMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 12:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Do some research on IR Repeater Kits. Maybe something like this would solve your problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _IR.JPG (59.7 KB, 6 views)
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 07:43 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBad View Post
Do some research on IR Repeater Kits. Maybe something like this would solve your problem.
You may be right on this, solving the problem. In fact, there may be a few different routes that might solve this problem.

My step #1 is to verify that there even is a problem to begin with.

GrechRV claims its design to work with the cabinet door closed, so maybe they did the research and has one of these devices already installed, but it's not working for some reason.

GrechRV YouTube ambassadors(or whatever they are called) seem like they would rather crawl over broken glass then test the DVD remote on their end.

Grech claim is works with the door cabinet closed, but I have yet to meet 1 person who can verify this works with the cabinet door closed.
Old 06-01-2024, 02:35 PM   #4

I think you've posted this same thread on IRV2 with the same results.

It's pretty safe to say an IR remote wont work through the cabinet. If this was so so critical an item I'm a little surprised you didn't test it pre purchase?

Anyway - I agree with their ambassadors. DVD players and the like are pretty obsolete as everyone moves to steaming. Tons of fixes available on Amazon to resolve the issue as you already know/have posted.

Enjoy your rig! They are pretty sweet machines - we can't wait to get ours.
Davestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 05:55 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davestic View Post
I think you've posted this same thread on IRV2 with the same results.

It's pretty safe to say an IR remote wont work through the cabinet. If this was so so critical an item I'm a little surprised you didn't test it pre purchase?

Anyway - I agree with their ambassadors. DVD players and the like are pretty obsolete as everyone moves to steaming. Tons of fixes available on Amazon to resolve the issue as you already know/have posted.

Enjoy your rig! They are pretty sweet machines - we can't wait to get ours.

I don't think it's safe to say that the IR remote won't work, since there are tons of fixes on amazon. How do I know that GreechRV did not deploy one of these fixes but its simple not working or the settings are not right? I am sure the Grech limonenes built on the sprinter van has the ability to play local media without a cabinet door wide open.

There were some things that were supposed to work one way but did not work at all until a tech had to fix the issue. How do I know this IR remote issue is not one of those?

I don't think anyone in IRV2 forum has confirmed the remote does not work, and Greech has told me that its designed to work with the cabinet door closed. So for me, its a 50/50 issue at this point.

In fact, when I try even trying to ask get my post deleted for some reason.

Greech is supposed to be a company that thinks of everything, perhaps it's embarrassing they overlooked this.

I relied on their reputation and their word for this to work as described.The Media player is very important for the passengers, the kids, etc more. Not so much for the driver.

This is not about a DVD player, its about having local media player which the DVD player will do via a USB flash drive into the USB port of the device.

Imaging you are on a limousine or a private jet, would you expect a jet to have the backseat passengers sitting there with an overhead cabinet door wide open where you could be thrown right into a sharp corner? Some people are using these sprinters as a land based private jet or limousine, not as pilot and co-pilot setup.

So if I wanted to play some youtube videos, they could be transferred to that flash drive and played. If I have a digital copy of a movie, I can play that, etc. Forgot DVD, its about having a device that feeds video signal to the TV that can't be control during normal operation. What if the DVD player had an app that allows streaming. Then would it matter? How about the fact that you can local media using the DVD player.

You have a device that is design to provide TV while running that can't be operated without a door in the front wide open, where the corner can hurt whoever is in the seats up front if they happen to stand up to stretch their legs.

These people are living in the Grech full time, they said their job test drive and provide feedback to greech on anything that is not working. I have brought to their attention that something is not working, but they refuse to test it on their end. They literally can't take 2 seconds to test that remote?

It's like someone is drowning, and you are right next to a life preserver and they are asking for it, but you refuse to throw it in because everyone should know how to swim.

It would take zero effort, zero cost, and would help a guy out greatly, but they would rather spend more time and effort to cover up the problem than to test it by hitting 1 button on the remote.

It's like in Chernobyl, the Russian government let children play in the nuclear fallout because they did not want to admit there was a problem. It was only when the rest of the world found out by other means did they finally let their own people know what was going on.

I have been on cruise ships where they charged you for the intenet by the minute and it would cost like $50 to just check your email. I have seen some guy charged over $100,000 because he streamed a football game over his cell phone because he had a laptop attached via usb vs looking at it directly on the phone. I have been in a hurricane where all communications and power is down except for people who had a generator and local media.

These internet options are very pricey satellite does not work if you have mountains in the distance even if you have clear sky over you. Cell phones are spotty and highly depend on your location. Also, GrechRV took out the cell phone/wifi antenna from the model I have even known it said it had it on their manual. I asked these embarrass about this too, and they claimed no one ever need wifi/cell phone antenna because you can press your cell phone against the window and get a suction cup or something.

This is sort of contrary to saying that everyone should just stream everything, then say that no one uses a cell phone/wifi antenna which would help you get a better internet connection.

So to recap, I have physical and locally stored media including DVD and even locally stored youtube videos, digital copies, videos from digital camera, digital video camera, cell phones, etc. I am told my remote should work with that cabinet closed. I can't get anyone to confirm if this works for them or if it does not work for them. Instead, everyone just wants to attack me for some reason. If the situations were referred, I would answer your question to help you out, as I have done many times in other forums on a variety of issues. I honestly did not expect this issue to blow up like this.

Let me ask you, will you test your remote control with the cabinet closed, or do you have some kind of moral and philosophical objection to using a remote with a cabinet door closed?
Old 06-07-2024, 06:52 PM   #6

IR is strictly line-of-sight. If the receiver can see your transmitter (remote control) then it should work. It's also pretty common to be able to bounce IR commands off cabinets or shiny surfaces to reach an IR controlled device such as TV or DVD player.

If the cabinet door is wood, the remote can't possibly control anmy device through it. If it's glass, you can probably leave the door closed if there is a line of sight. You might even install a glass or plexi window in a wood door to create a line of sight if you feel ambitious.

If there is a direct, unobstructed line of sight between the remote and the target device, IR should work. If not, you can try an IR repeater (as mentioned above.) Personally, I find that setting up a repeater is more of a pain then just moving to where there is a clean line of sight.

If line of sight doesn't work, install fresh batteries in the remote.
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote