Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2023, 02:44 PM   #21
Bronze Member

RT-NY

The LG model # is LW80112ER. This was installed in June 2016 the day we purchased our van. The Fedders unit wasn’t working so Mobilife RV in Kitchener, ON replaced it as condition of sale was that everything was operational.
Good luck finding a unit that is the correct size to fit the space.

Mike Bee
1997 RT P170
Formerly ‘89 VW Westfalia
Mike Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 02:46 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Default Correct #

Sorry it was LG model LW8012ER
Old 08-01-2023, 03:22 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bee View Post
Sorry it was LG model LW8012ER
Thanks! It looks like the height is the most important limiting factor and that model is 12 3/8" tall so I will look for something similar.

I wonder if it is possible to remove/replace a Roadtrek 170 air conditioner from the front. I have not yet taken a close look but it looks to me like that is what the previous owner of my rig did. Has anyone attempted this?
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 03:59 PM   #24
Bronze Member

The LG replacement was installed from inside. While I did not watch the whole install it was done when we were there.

Mike Bee
Old 08-01-2023, 04:41 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bee View Post
The LG replacement was installed from inside. While I did not watch the whole install it was done when we were there.

Mike Bee
Just to be sure -- you mean from inside of the van (rather than by taking off the metal grill in the back of the roof), right?

I guess there must be some way to remove the wooden extension with the plastic vent that is above the air conditioner. Otherwise, I am not sure how there would be sufficient height.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:01 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
Just to be sure -- you mean from inside of the van (rather than by taking off the metal grill in the back of the roof), right?

I guess there must be some way to remove the wooden extension with the plastic vent that is above the air conditioner. Otherwise, I am not sure how there would be sufficient height.
New to RT, when I was web surfing to replace my AC, it appears that the Dodge models remove the AC from inside and the Chevy models replace from outside the van. This confused me when trying to figure out how to do it. So removed my 02 Chevy from outside and doubt I could have got it out from inside. There are You tube videos on this.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 03:33 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
it appears that the Dodge models remove the AC from inside and the Chevy models replace from outside the van.
Yea, now that I take a second look at the metal grill in the back of the roof, I can't see any possibility of getting it out there -- there are two small openings in the fiberglass not one big one. I think it would slide out from the front (inside the van) but for the wooden extension above, which I did not see in any of the models on the youtube videos. The picture below shows the basic problem. It's not a very good picture, but you can see a cabinet door to the left, the white plastic grill of the a/c unit in the middle, and a wooden vent structure extending out on top and covering up much of the a/c. I guess it is must be possible to remove that structure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rt-ac.jpg (14.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-02-2023, 08:14 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yea, now that I take a second look at the metal grill in the back of the roof, I can't see any possibility of getting it out there -- there are two small openings in the fiberglass not one big one. I think it would slide out from the front (inside the van) but for the wooden extension above, which I did not see in any of the models on the youtube videos. The picture below shows the basic problem. It's not a very good picture, but you can see a cabinet door to the left, the white plastic grill of the a/c unit in the middle, and a wooden vent structure extending out on top and covering up much of the a/c. I guess it is must be possible to remove that structure.
Average Alice did a Dodge AC replacement on You tube, might help you out.
Old 08-03-2023, 01:23 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Average Alice did a Dodge AC replacement on You tube, might help you out.
Thanks, but the description says that it is a Chevy Roadtrek in that video, and, in any case, the opening in the front is much bigger and it looks like there is a big opening in the back as well.
Old 08-03-2023, 01:58 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks, but the description says that it is a Chevy Roadtrek in that video, and, in any case, the opening in the front is much bigger and it looks like there is a big opening in the back as well.

So much for my memory!