Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2024, 05:50 PM   #1

Default Don't understand the Li3 System

We just bought our first RV, a used 2020 Coachmen Galleria Li3. Unfortunately, the dealer (Lazydays Mesa, AZ) didn't do a good job of explaining the RV when we picked it up.

Specifically, I have questions about the Battery/Inverter/Solar system.
1. I plugged into power at home and charged the batteries overnight. Today the solar panel says "Full" and the Xantrax panel shows 4 bars, but it also shows 61% and 327AH. This is 600AH system.
2. When I turn on the disconnect with nothing on in the coach I have a battery draw of 4AH. This is with the solar in full sun and fridge and everything else off. When I turn off the disconnect then a get a positive AMP reading of about 4-5.

This is very confusing to me. Is this normal or should I be looking for something that is drawing power?
jim9706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 06:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Is the inverter ON?
Old 01-05-2024, 08:19 PM   #3

Default Don't understand the Li3 System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Is the inverter ON?
Yes the inverter is on.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:08 PM   #4
Platinum Member

4A parasitic draw with the inverter on might be normal? Not sure.

AFAIK, the propane value draws close to an amp, the propane detector draws a half-amp, the various displays, control panels and electronics might draw a half or full amp, and an idling inverter draws some current too.

I'd trust the Xantrax panel over the solar charger.

--Mike
Old 01-05-2024, 09:39 PM   #5

Default Follow Up

I'm still not sure why the batteries won't charge to 100%?
Old 01-05-2024, 10:13 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that specific system.

If it's what I think it is, it'll charge from shore power and when running the engine. I'd start by plugging it into shore power, and making sure the Xantrex is charging the battery. I'd also run the engine and see if that charges the battery. Either should charge at more than 50A.

Do you know what model Xantrex they used? That might help locate proper manuals.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:33 PM   #7
Platinum Member

The solar is probably going right to float based on the battery voltage, which is way too common with the lithium batteries and solar.

Take a look and see if the solar controller tells you what stage it is in and you will know for sure.

It is going to float you will have to see if you can change settings to keep it from doing that. On some controllers you can and on others you can't. If float is 13.4v of so it will be charging very, very slowly.

Also, don't believe the battery monitor if you don't know the the last time it recalibrated by getting the proper amps and volts reading to do that reset. Monitors that you read when you got the van could be way, way, way off depending on how the van was used and how well the monitor and charging are setup.

All of the charging sources have to be set right, as does the monitor for you to get good charging and good information about battery state of charge.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 01:25 PM   #8
Platinum Member

jim9706,

Check your private messages, as I sent you one regarding the Li3 issue.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:46 PM   #9

I plugged in and then took it on the road and it charged to 100%. Thank you. I see that if I turn off the battery disconnect there are 0amps being used, but it looks like the solar is still charging.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:40 PM   #10

Li3 owner here (although newer model)
Don’t concern yourself with the solar controller it is well known to not be a good match with the Lithionics batteries.
And yes the inverter being on will draw down the battery. You only need the inverter on when using 110 appliances. The xantrex charger will work if inverter is off.

One key point is that the solar (and the inverter to some extent) are trying to report on battery state via voltage, which is an outdated concept for lithium. You should have a lithionics display with shutdown button. Toggling through its options is the best place to see state of charge. Also the phone app is great for this.

As you have discovered the most effective way to charge the battery is by driving.
Jhv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 10:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb496 View Post
jim9706,

What is the “LI3 issue”? I don’t seem to be able to charge from shore (with no indicator light on either) and assumed it is a fuse. Then again, it seemed to charge after driving around for a bit and the indicator light came on when I plugged in. Hmmmmm….
Jacbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:46 PM   #12

I don’t think dmb was referring to a general Li3 issue.

Please give more specifics about yours. What model/year? What is “the indicator light”?

Do you have access to the xantrex app? I had a no charging on shore power issue. It was caused by my charger being set to sync with the ignition. There is a setting in the battery inverter/charger control (much easier to get to with the app). Look for "charger ignition control" and make sure it is set to off not auto.
Jhv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 10:20 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
jim9706,

Private messages on this sort of topic don’t help others much. Please share your issue.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:01 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Private messages on this sort of topic don’t help others much. Please share your issue.
I steered the OP to several forums for possible answers to his multiple questions. Those sources include many owners of a class B that have the Li3 system.

I advised the OP that I don't have the Li3 system and couldn't offer specific help.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:18 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
I steered the OP to several forums for possible answers to his multiple questions. Those sources include many owners of a class B that have the Li3 system.

I advised the OP that I don't have the Li3 system and couldn't offer specific help.
Perhaps more of us would like to know more about the Li3 system if they are looking at Coachman B-vans. I've found that some Facebook (FB) private groups are very closed to those of us just looking for more information from current owners. I tried to join the GrechRV group and never received a response. I guess because I don't own a GrechRV?

I was able to join the Airstream Interstate and Storyteller FB groups to learn more about the Volta battery system before I bought my Interstate 19 with the Volta battery.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:10 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Perhaps more of us would like to know more about the Li3 system if they are looking at Coachman B-vans. I've found that some Facebook (FB) private groups are very closed to those of us just looking for more information from current owners. I tried to join the GrechRV group and never received a response. I guess because I don't own a GrechRV?

I was able to join the Airstream Interstate and Storyteller FB groups to learn more about the Volta battery system before I bought my Interstate 19 with the Volta battery.
The 2 groups I recommended to the OP are dedicated to Coachmen-built class B's. Lots of info in those groups and so many members are able and willing to help out others in need.

I'm not familiar with any FB forums for Airstream class B's.

The Li3 is a comprehensive system, but a pricey option. I re-worked nearly all the cables on a friend's Li3 system, and had to used the expertise of another individual for resetting some of the software parameters. Of course that one repair doesn't make me an expert on the Li3 system.

I ordered our Galleria with the AGM battery house system, with the intention of converting and building my own lithium system. I did the upgrade and created a lithium system with a bit more than twice the amp hours of the Li3 system, and invested just 65% of the Li3's cost. It was an intense project that I truly enjoyed from start to finish. DIY can be rewarding for several reasons if it's within your ability.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:50 PM   #17

Default Li3 System

I have a Coachmen Nova Li3 system. I was told by folks at the factory that if you are charging from home you should use a 120 volt 30Amp circuit. 15 Amp standard house hold circuit may cause some problems with charging. My understanding is it can unbalance the cells in the battery. I am assuming you have a Lithionics battery. I installed a 30 Amp breaker in my house main panel and ran a line out to the garage. I can park the van outside of the garage if I need to charge.
JoeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 12:10 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
I have a Coachmen Nova Li3 system. I was told by folks at the factory that if you are charging from home you should use a 120 volt 30Amp circuit. 15 Amp standard house hold circuit may cause some problems with charging. My understanding is it can unbalance the cells in the battery. I am assuming you have a Lithionics battery. I installed a 30 Amp breaker in my house main panel and ran a line out to the garage. I can park the van outside of the garage if I need to charge.

I don't understand the 30 amp circuit being needed as it appears you would have a 3000 watt Xantrex inverter/charger which is shown on the Xntrex site as having a 100amp DC charger. They do also so it is a 3000/150 so some spec may be wrong. A 100 amp charger usually runs at just under 15 amps of AC and some more on starting surge but that usually doesn't require bigger service. Our 100 amp DC Magnum charger can run fine on a 15 amp circuit. If you really need 30 amps to charge the batteries properly how are you going to camp and charge on shore power? You would have no power left for anything else like cooking, etc unless it load sheds which would again, if they are correct, affect battery balance.

It all makes absolutely no sense to me.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 01:20 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9706 View Post
We just bought our first RV, a used 2020 Coachmen Galleria Li3. Unfortunately, the dealer (Lazydays Mesa, AZ) didn't do a good job of explaining the RV when we picked it up.

Specifically, I have questions about the Battery/Inverter/Solar system.
1. I plugged into power at home and charged the batteries overnight. Today the solar panel says "Full" and the Xantrax panel shows 4 bars, but it also shows 61% and 327AH. This is 600AH system.
JIM: There is a helpful FREE IPhone APP which will work about 20 feet from control panel called "Li3 Battery" showing Li3 in red letters with circle. also using home 120 outlet should take 2 hours 30 min to fully charge your VAN

2. When I turn on the disconnect with nothing on in the coach, I have a battery draw of 4AH. This is with the solar in full sun and fridge and everything else off. When I turn off the disconnect then a get a positive AMP reading of about 4-5.
sadly I do not fully understand your question. Understand SOLAR only helps in maintaining a charge to the van. But you want to let the batteries run down to no lower than 40% to 32% over 20 to 30-days then fully re-charge to 100% "State of Charge aka SOC" This you should do every 20 to 30-days let them run down and recharge to 100% by driving I do this every 20 to 30 days. I do have more and others in this Group who can be of more help to you on your Class B Forums, join our GROUP.

This is very confusing to me. Is this normal or should I be looking for something that is drawing power?
YES, it sounds correct as you will always see a small loss if everything is OFF. Even if everything is OFF, you are going to loss battery over time in about 20 to 30days, just like your car battery only much faster, if you were to let it set. But a car would take long to discharge. The Galleria about 20 to 30-days. Also, on your model VAN 2020 you have a little box that also charges the MB engine battery. SO you should not have to hook-up both and at the sometimes. You don't need to hook up both when you go away for a while. But when you are charging from your home outlet 120V or 30AMP, your charging both. Also what everyone above has stated is correct as I understand them

Jim,
Hello and congratulations on finding this Class B Forum, I also created a Group in this forum which you will see by clicking on GROUPS at the top. Click on GALLERIA.

Now, I'm not the leading expert on the 2020 MB Coachmen Galleria. I did do some videos during my walk-through at the dealership and posted them on YouTube and you should find 6 short videos in all going over the full VAN.

Not shown on the video is how to use the 8' foot macerator Hose.
1. Gloves,
2. Remove from the bridal HOLDER.
3. loosen the end cap to let air in. Doing this you will find the hose easy to pull or unroll out.
4. Now completely remove cap and place over septic tank.
5. TURN on Macerator switch on drivers' side in-city water fill.
6. ALWAYS PULL-OUT BLACK first and then empty. then PULL GRAY as this will help to wash solids out of the tube.
7. Once done replace cap and keep it loose as you have to push the hose back in by hand. Then make the cap tight. and return to HOLDER and CLIP back into place.

First video Number 1 of 7 videos on youTube "My walk-though"

Let me know If I can be of more help to you:
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 11:45 AM   #20
Platinum Member

I don't have an L!3 battery system but I would think if the inverter is on, you are charging, cooling the inverter and reading a panel there is a draw. Unplug and see if you are drawing power. I imagine you can't. If you can, where is the power coming from? The battery?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote