Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2024, 01:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I don't understand the 30 amp circuit being needed
The 30 amp recommendation is overstated. The concern is that if on 15 amp circuit you are using some of that power there may be a reduced output of the charger during float stage so that it does not have enough voltage for enough time.

It does not need all 30 amps. If hooked to 15 amps and nothing else is using inverter/charger power it will do ok.

Secondly this balancing is only needed if you have consecutively run up and down your batteries over a period of time. The Lithionics app can show you the exact levels of each cell so you can check if you are even approaching an unbalanced state, and then take measures as needed.

For simplest sake for those who don’t want to understand why, just hook to 30 amp every two weeks. -- therefore the oft quoted recomendation.
Jhv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 02:14 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I don't have an L!3 battery system but I would think if the inverter is on, you are charging, cooling the inverter and reading a panel there is a draw. Unplug and see if you are drawing power. I imagine you can't. If you can, where is the power coming from? The battery?
Morning Davidd, You sir always ask some great questions and I hope I can address you question completely. The newer Coachmen RV with LI3 can last much longer than 10-hours of stand-alone time before a recharge of the battery packs: Here is an insert form the Flyer which is an OPTION,

Li3 Lithium Battery – 630 amp-hour lithium battery with internal heater, Bluetooth battery management system and remote LCD display, second under hood alternator with multi-stage voltage regulator, Xantrex XC Pro 3,000W inverter/ charger with Bluetooth XC Remote, Xantrex Echo-charge (charges chassis battery while plugged into shore power). Onan Generator not included with Li3 Lithium Battery option.
Extra 630AH Lithionics Lithium Battery /w Internal Heater (1260AH Total w/ Li3 Lithium Option) (Must Have Optional Li3 Lithium Battery System)

Under the hood it's a look-like alternator, (replacing the fuel generator, but only used when you start the engine) which can fully charge the 630Ah in 2-1/2 hours and once fully charged should last for 10-hours. I also have three Solar Panels on top which are 330-Watts. These are my two go to when on the road. When charging Both my House and chasses batteries are kept charged using 30AMP or plugged into a standard 120 outlet. Now the A/C on top of the VAN is a 12-volt, 20,000 BYU.

We have to drive once in 30-days, and fully recharge our 630amp Hour batteries when setting with Solars and all power off about 30 days when it drops from 100% State of Charge for me between 39% to 32% before I will drive and charge. Here is a link with more detail I hope is better help the me: https://coachmenrv.com/brochures/202...ningmanual.pdf
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:07 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Morning Davidd, You sir always ask some great questions and I hope I can address you question completely. The newer Coachmen RV with LI3 can last much longer than 10-hours of stand-alone time before a recharge of the battery packs: Here is an insert form the Flyer which is an OPTION,

Li3 Lithium Battery – 630 amp-hour lithium battery with internal heater, Bluetooth battery management system and remote LCD display, second under hood alternator with multi-stage voltage regulator, Xantrex XC Pro 3,000W inverter/ charger with Bluetooth XC Remote, Xantrex Echo-charge (charges chassis battery while plugged into shore power). Onan Generator not included with Li3 Lithium Battery option.
Extra 630AH Lithionics Lithium Battery /w Internal Heater (1260AH Total w/ Li3 Lithium Option) (Must Have Optional Li3 Lithium Battery System)

Under the hood it's a look-like alternator, (replacing the fuel generator, but only used when you start the engine) which can fully charge the 630Ah in 2-1/2 hours and once fully charged should last for 10-hours. I also have three Solar Panels on top which are 330-Watts. These are my two go to when on the road. When charging Both my House and chasses batteries are kept charged using 30AMP or plugged into a standard 120 outlet. Now the A/C on top of the VAN is a 12-volt, 20,000 BYU.

We have to drive once in 30-days, and fully recharge our 630amp Hour batteries when setting with Solars and all power off about 30 days when it drops from 100% State of Charge for me between 39% to 32% before I will drive and charge. Here is a link with more detail I hope is better help the me: https://coachmenrv.com/brochures/202...ningmanual.pdf

I wonder about the 2.5 hours to recharge 630ah of battery. If it would be the full 630ah you need to average 252 amps of charge continuously, and none of the underhood 12v alternators I have seen results from, except the monster Delco unit ARV uses, will average that high. Most I have seen data from were in the 160-170 amp average.

How much of that 630ah are you recharging in 2.5 hours. Is it a full 12v system and not charging at 24v or more?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 07:41 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I interpreted Dogman's charging event to typically begin somewhere between a SOC of 32% to 39%, and continue until a 100% SOC is reached for his 630 ah of coach battery. 2.5 hours of driving would achieve 100% SOC at 170+ ah.

FWIW, I have the same Nations alternator that Dogman has. It is rated at 280 amps. During highway driving I typically see an initial output of 215 amps, and then a slow taper downward to 195 amps, continuously, until nearly 100% SOC is achieved. The last 3%-4% rate of charge continues to ramp downward.

At idle the Nations alternator puts out 155-165 amps.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:57 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I don't understand the 30 amp circuit being needed as it appears you would have a 3000 watt Xantrex inverter/charger which is shown on the Xntrex site as having a 100amp DC charger. They do also so it is a 3000/150 so some spec may be wrong. A 100 amp charger usually runs at just under 15 amps of AC and some more on starting surge but that usually doesn't require bigger service. Our 100 amp DC Magnum charger can run fine on a 15 amp circuit. If you really need 30 amps to charge the batteries properly how are you going to camp and charge on shore power? You would have no power left for anything else like cooking, etc unless it load sheds which would again, if they are correct, affect battery balance.

It all makes absolutely no sense to me.

My system uses a Xantrex XC Pro 3000 watt inverter/charger. It will charge the battery perfectly when connected to a 120 volt 15 amp duplex outlet IF the software for the incoming amperage setting in the Xantrex is changed to 15 amps input.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:02 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb496 View Post
My system uses a Xantrex XC Pro 3000 watt inverter/charger. It will charge the battery perfectly when connected to a 120 volt 15 amp duplex outlet IF the software for the incoming amperage setting in the Xantrex is changed to 15 amps input.

It is also possible that the OP is getting too large a voltage drop on the 15 amp circuit and tripping the low AC input fault.

It is easy to have 50-100' of 14ga wire from the house breaker panel to the outlet, usually with multiple connections along the way. Add in another 25-50' extension cord and a few more connections and you would probably be toast on voltage drop.

It probably would be advisable to check the voltage in the van with the charger running, if possible, or check the charging system for AC fault codes.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote