Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2016, 02:13 AM   #541
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
GeorgeB

Looks like you just identified the first mod for new Aktiv buyers! (unless RT picks it up first ;~)
It's actually gregmchugh who first raised the flag on that problem.

And Hymer answered today:
Go Hymer
Thanks, Georges we're working on it.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:14 AM   #542
Platinum Member

Why is anyone assuming that this is the complete dealer network that will be selling Hymers?

They already said that they are going slow in terms of naming dealers so this initial list would seem to be just that, an initial list...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:23 AM   #543
Platinum Member

And the prices are going down!

Old 11-08-2016, 03:14 AM   #544
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
::

Doesn't make any sense to me to stiff some of their best Roadtrek dealers and dealers that specialize in B's and small C's, like Lake Region in Minnesota.
This is a marketing strategy...

If they let the existing RT dealers handle Hymer,
they will cannibalize their own RT sales.

The proper way to expand the market is to cut into your competitors' territory and chip away their sales.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #545
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

The proper way to expand the market is to cut into your competitors' territory and chip away their sales.

That is what they told me when I asked about the Ontario dealers. They were trying not to select existing RT dealers. I know that one dealer was upset but I suspect that RT dealers may be offered to sell the other Erwin Hymer brands that they plan to bring to North America such as the towables and the Carado
Old 11-08-2016, 03:25 PM   #546
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

It is the same company. Some (most) of the dealers are already RT dealers, so this makes no sense to me. It looks to me like Hymer thinks bigger is better... many are HUGE dealerships.

You know the ones... where you never can see the same salesman twice... or they know nothing about the brand you want because they sell a couple dozen different brands and all classes...and VERY difficult to get in for service. In other words, the ones I prefer to completely avoid.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #547
Platinum Member

Quote:
It is the same company. Some (most) of the dealers are already RT dealers, so this makes no sense to me. It looks to me like Hymer thinks bigger is better... many are HUGE dealerships.

You know the ones... where you never can see the same salesman twice... or they know nothing about the brand you want because they sell a couple dozen different brands and all classes...and VERY difficult to get in for service. In other words, the ones I prefer to completely avoid.
Agree that Hymer should be selecting quality dealers and based on my interactions with them General RV is not one.

I do think they will get more sales by putting the Hymer vans in dealers who don't carry Roadtreks already. At a current Roadtrek dealer you are competing against yourself while at a dealer who say carries Winnebago but not Roadtrek the Hymer is going to take sales from Winnebago. If a dealer has no other Class B models then Hymer is competing against no one.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #548
Platinum Member

In other words, they are only looking at possible sales while ignoring customer satisfaction...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 11-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #549
Platinum Member

Quote:
In other words, they are only looking at possible sales while ignoring customer satisfaction...
I suppose that is a possible outcome but they could also be rewarding the dealers if they do focus on customer satisfaction and by significantly expanding the dealer network beyond the existing Roadtrek dealer network it will result in enough dealers to build strong sales and a much improved financial picture. I don't know how many dealers Roadtrek currently has vs Winnebago dealers who carry Class Bs and small Class Cs but there is plenty of room for Hymer to add more dealers especially if they can locate them in the same geographic areas as the current Roadtrek dealers or add their products to a big dealer network like General RV.

I feel that Hymer has enough experience with their very successful business in Europe to build a dealer network that is in keeping with their reputation for quality and high customer satisfaction. Hymer is a well respected brand and I would expect them to not do things to tarnish that reputation in a new market.

It's not like Roadtrek was exactly flying high recently under the investment group. At this point I guess they can rise to the occasion and bring their brand up to where a Hymer brand is expected to be in quality and customer satisfaction or they will get overshadowed by the Hymer branded vehicles and lose out in the long term. I expect Hymer will do what it takes to be as successful here as they are in Europe. They are clearly making the financial investment to get the manufacturing up to snuff...
Old 11-09-2016, 05:18 AM   #550
Platinum Member

BTW... two of the biggest west coast dealer groups sell both Roadtreks and Winnebago. (rather kills the idea of not competing with themselves)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 11-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #551
Platinum Member

I'm interested in the Pleasure-Way line but no stocking dealer anywhere near here. We are just south of Calgary, a city with about 1.3 million and the 2 closest dealers are 3-4 hours away then next 2 are about 8 hours.

There is however a good dealer that is right on the south end saying they are a Hymer dealer so that is 15 minutes drive to at least look at the Aktiv.

Or wait for the RV show in January to compare side by side...
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #552
Platinum Member

Does anyone know if the lithium batteries are mounted outside or are they inside the coach? Just asking because charging in cold weather can damage the batteries. Thanks!
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #553
Platinum Member

With PW they are now inside the coach under the sofa in the rear I believe.

With RT/Hymer, the batteries are in a temperature controlled box underneath the rig... mine were in the rear before they got removed.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 02-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #554
Platinum Member

Quote:
With PW they are now inside the coach under the sofa in the rear I believe.

With RT/Hymer, the batteries are in a temperature controlled box underneath the rig... mine were in the rear before they got removed.
Why were they removed?
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #555
Platinum Member

Mine was one of the first rigs off the line with the "new" Ecotrek batteries. They would only last for ten days... and die with nothing turned on... and RT didn't know how to re-start them. They replaced the battery... it lasted about 10 days and died... again, no ability to restart. At that point, I suggested that we replace it with the two AGMs that I originally wanted. They agreed.

This was Aug/Sept 2015... it took them 8-9 months to figure out how to work them in the "real world" and they are pretty dependable now, but there is a major learning curve since it is very different from what all of us are used to...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 04-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #556
Platinum Member

Default More than a year after starting this thread, I'm still asking "Hymer Aktiv?"

More than a year after starting this thread, I'm still asking the same question "Hymer Aktiv?"!

I finally had a chance to see the AKTIV beast and I unfortunately have to say it was not a moment to remember. I'm still questioning the feasibility of the whole project.

First observation. In it's decision to organize a separate network of dealers, Hymer had to desperately find new players and the one I visited yesterday is nothing more than a converted gas station that offers no service (it is subcontracted to another firm at the other end of town), no knowledge of what it is selling and no clear motivation of helping Hymer in its quest to conquer the North American market. The profit margins on the ugly Class As that are on the lot must be much more generous.

Run-down demo model. The salesman wasn't able to open the sliding door of the van from the outside. The skylight bug screen wasn't working, he broke the skylight frame trying to extend it. The bathroom cabinet sliding door was completly jammed. How can you be convincing if you don't even have the time and the knowledge to repair the unit you are showcasing? That's the prehistoric RV world we all know too much.

Hello Hymer, can you please change that pathetic business culture? The customer in front you is paying the same price as a Tesla and you are treating him as if he is buying a used car in a run-down lot. It's Hymer not Homer!

On a positive note. Very nice silver exterior with very subtle markings. The contemporary interior has very good quality cabinetry with sturdy Häfele soft-close hardware. Nice bright interior, but the white upholstery fabric will be a problem when doing real camping. I was impressed with the very nice S6 Seitz double pane windows. Very light. Very functionnal hardware. Love the flush exterior seamless look of these windows.

On a personal note. Hate the granite countertop (OK that's what NA customers want, too hard to convince them that granite is made for homes, not moving vehicles). The new wall finish behind the galley is ugly (the previous one was much nicer) - typical Roadtrek's high-design culture or is it Hymer's bad taste? The dull brown laminate on the dinette table should be replaced now that the countertop is not covered in the same material. They should choose a laminate that will hide scratches more.

Major deception. The bathroom/shower is not usable if you are north of 6'. The shower pan is installed much too high. Almost 3" inch above the floor. The salesman told me it's because they didn't want the grey tank to sit too close to the ground, as if the tank could protrude through the metal floor of the van! They really know how a class B is built! Also the crosswise platform bed is much too cramped for two people if you are tall.

Looking forward to see the platform bed in a 2.0 Aktiv. I've only seen the sofa bed layout, maybe they will kill the length-wise platform bed even before building one!

The Erwin Hymer group/ aka Roadtrek will have to upgrade its standards and sales force to convince customers to pay 115 000$ CAD for a unit like this one!

Looking forward to see the AKTIV 3.0!

Complete AKTIV album on my Kampervan FB page https://www.facebook.com/pg/kamperva...19130081681073

Old 04-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #557
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
More than a year after starting this thread, I'm still asking the same question "Hymer Aktiv?"!
I haven't experienced any dealers, but saw the Hymers at a show, and must say I agree with most of your review wholeheartedly:

Quote:
The contemporary interior has very good quality cabinetry with sturdy Häfele soft-close hardware. Nice bright interior, but the white upholstery fabric will be a problem when doing real camping. I was impressed with the very nice S6 Seitz double pane windows.
Yes, the hinges are VERY nice, I haven't got an answer on what the cabinet material is made of, but it seems like it might be durable and very water repellent.. Is it some sort of plastic? As noted, the entire interior is VERY light (a matter of preference). Kind of reminds me of the white "pickled" wood look popular in the early 90's. The upholstery seems very soft and luxurious, but again, bright white? Will it clean? The Skylight brings in a lot of welcome light, but the pessimist in me says "more spots to leak", and "where do I mount my solar panels?" I felt the windows were very small, and though they are designed to be open in the rain, the openings are even smaller.. And even though they are double pane (which is good), they are plastic instead of glass (which is bad). The screen and shade functions work really cool, but one on display was already broken and not functioning. This looks like an expensive repair as it is all enclosed in one piece..

Quote:
Major deception. The bathroom/shower is not usable if you are north of 6'. The shower pan is installed much too high. ... Also the crosswise platform bed is much too cramped for two people if you are tall.
Agreed again. I couldn't even get in the shower and close the door (much less take a shower), and could not comfortably sleep on the crosswise bed.

Quote:
The Erwin Hymer group/ aka Roadtrek will have to upgrade its standards and sales force to convince customers to pay 115 000$ CAD for a unit like this one!
Agreed, again. Though I will say I saw a stripped down version that was competitively priced with the Travato (though the Travato is on the larger Chassis with more features).

I haven't seen the Safari Condo units in person, and don't know what it costs, or how long it takes to get one, so its hard to make a judgement; but it appears to me, to be a more functional unit with large windows, big adjustable bed, large or double fridges, more functional interior space and fabrics, real toilet, and large storage space. Does the Safari Condo have a generator or extra alternator? And then again, the Travato has been around a few years, and they have already worked out the "first year production" bugs. As far as I am aware, it is still the value leader with proven working, convenient systems; of course, as always, everyone has there own needs and priorities from their chosen vehicle. But at the moment, if I were buying, I think the Hymer would be at the bottom of that short list with a front dinette on the Promaster.. so far..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #558
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
I haven't seen the Safari Condo units in person, and don't know what it costs, or how long it takes to get one, so its hard to make a judgement; but it appears to me, to be a more functional unit with large windows, big adjustable bed, large or double fridges, more functional interior space and fabrics, real toilet, and large storage space. Does the Safari Condo have a generator or extra alternator? And then again, the Travato has been around a few years, and they have already worked out the "first year production" bugs. As far as I am aware, it is still the value leader with proven working, convenient systems; of course, as always, everyone has there own needs and priorities from their chosen vehicle. But at the moment, if I were buying, I think the Hymer would be at the bottom of that short list with a front dinette on the Promaster.. so far..
I do agree with all your comments concerning the AKTIV. I would have a hard time choosing which camper to buy if I was in the US.

Safari Condo is definitely the best camper on the market if you have an "active" van life. Specially if you need a lot of storage for your gear (see photo) The XL Flex is moderately priced with all the included features. It starts at 97K$ CAD (72K US$)
(see Recreational vehicles (RV) and Motorhomes | Ram ProMaster - Mercedes Sprinter - GM Savana/Express)

The only problem is that it now takes more than a year to get one and if your are in the States you have to bring your own US van to the factory and come back a month later. A couple of courageous Americans I chat with are enjoying their van very much. The warranty service is done through dealers of your choice and they simply repay you for the expenses. No generator, Lots of solar available. No problem boondocking with our two 12v compression fridges as long as you are in an open area.

More on our van at:
https://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-...docom/n-MNSpq/

And no I don't work for Safari Condo but I love them! Great family owned business with a stellar reputation.

The flexible storage under the extraordinary comfortable (I added a Froli springs) length-wise platform bed!

Old 04-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #559
Platinum Member

I love your safari condo's simple, utilitarian, modern interior "decorating". It shows how less is more in a small space. It's a beauty.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #560
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
. ... And then again, the Travato has been around a few years, and they have already worked out the "first year production" bugs. As far as I am aware, it is still the value leader with proven working, convenient systems; of course, as always, everyone has there own needs and priorities from their chosen vehicle. But at the moment, if I were buying, I think the Hymer would be at the bottom of that short list with a front dinette on the Promaster.. so far..
I agree that the Travatos (K&G) enjoy a enviable spot in the market, mainly for their affordable and quality conversions done by a great company. My only personal concern would be the beds. I love permanent double beds and I find the one in the G to be too narrow and cramped for our couple.

I would chose a Winnebago B anytime if they would offer a layout like the Aktiv 2.0 or the Safari Condo with a permanent platform "real" double bed and a front dinette. 85% of worldwide Campers use this layout for obvious reasons. OK no sofa, but I find the front bucket seats and the front dinette used as a feet-up pouf is a much more comfortable solution.

The other missing element would be the energy autonomy. The Fit Rv gives an example of what W should offer with Lithium, Solar and a powerful inverter. But then again it add costs to the already important investment you need to make to own these fancy cottages on wheels!