Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2022, 07:28 PM   #1

Default IROK clearance

Hi all, I’m researching for my first RV purchase. I like everything about the Fleetwood IROK but read it has low clearance. Is this unique to the IROK? How do I determine what would work for getting to trailheads on forest service roads?

Thanks!
Mageddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi and Welcome

most USFS roads are maintained to accommodate fire trucks.

but you may get skunked or come across a tree across the road in some remote area ( carry a chain to pull it off to the side)

I know nothing about the model you are looking at, my van is 9'4" high and I have to watch the overhead just as you do the left and right sides when driving.
I have a TV antenna and stuff on the roof could snag in a low branch-

every once in a while we see pictures of a camper with the roof punched in because someone thought they could go through the jack in the box* drive thru or parking structure

* my brother in law... he destroyed the shell on his Mom's camper.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

BTW I know nothing about the fleetwood.

suggest you have a hard look at the bed if if is a fold down sofa- they don't work for me

people should not need to refit a bed or start layering mattress toppers & tetris cushions together to get a good sleep.

make sure the bed is long enough & big enough.

if it is a sideways sleeper and you fit, great.
but anyone tall will pass when you want to resell it

find youtube sales videos and watch how easily ( or not) the sales persion is able to move around the cabin. if you "have to go outside to change your mind" maybe it's a little tight... or if they have to stoop and reposition 3 things to display a feature.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

That looks like a posh highway machine. If you want to get on the backroads you might look for one made for that. One example - Sportsmobile would be the other end of the spectrum.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:05 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Not very many IROKs were made - and they were actually upfitted by Midwest Automotive Designs (MAD) a fellow subsidiary to Fleetwood under the REV Group corporate umbrella. In general MAD builds tend to be luxury themed highway cruisers with low hanging running boards and plumbing fittings. Your best bet might be to find one, or its Midwest equivalent the Legend FSL model, and measure ground clearance directly.

The second issue is that Midwest has discontinued Promaster based units, having decided they don't fit its luxury coach market aspirations. Fleetwood has not displayed any new IROK models at industry and dealer shows so presumably it is discontinued also. Purchasing an orphan model RV is not necessarily a deal killer but be aware of potential ongoing support and resale limitations.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 03:14 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageddes View Post
Hi all, I’m researching for my first RV purchase. I like everything about the Fleetwood IROK but read it has low clearance. Is this unique to the IROK? How do I determine what would work for getting to trailheads on forest service roads?

Thanks!
It's a Promaster and they are very low... all of them from all different converters. And lifting them voids your Promaster warranty.

To really get off the beaten track, I would look at the 4WD lifted Sprinters. They will be very expensive.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:55 AM   #7

Thanks all, this is very helpful feedback. Will keep searching, perhaps an affordable Revel or Storyteller will come my way. I go everywhere in my Tacoma so not accustomed to having limits. So much to consider!
Old 09-25-2022, 05:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Hi and Welcome

most USFS roads are maintained to accommodate fire trucks.

but you may get skunked or come across a tree across the road in some remote area ( carry a chain to pull it off to the side)

I know nothing about the model you are looking at, my van is 9'4" high and I have to watch the overhead just as you do the left and right sides when driving.
I have a TV antenna and stuff on the roof could snag in a low branch-

every once in a while we see pictures of a camper with the roof punched in because someone thought they could go through the jack in the box* drive thru or parking structure

* my brother in law... he destroyed the shell on his Mom's camper.
Thank you for this and for welcoming me. Just to clarify I was thinking of the clearance underneath for driving on rough roads, but also good to think about overhead clearance!
Old 09-25-2022, 01:32 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks all, this is very helpful feedback. Will keep searching, perhaps an affordable Revel or Storyteller will come my way. I go everywhere in my Tacoma so not accustomed to having limits. So much to consider!
Another place to check is the Sportsmobile website as they do many conversions for people who like to get off the tarmac. They allow their previous customers to list their used rigs on their website.

Another smaller converter who does lots of these is Colorado Camper in Loveland, CO. They did my little old lady basic van conversion on my Promaster 1500 for me, but most of their work is more to your interest. Every once in awhile they have resales on their website.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-26-2022, 12:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Another place to check is the Sportsmobile website as they do many conversions for people who like to get off the tarmac. They allow their previous customers to list their used rigs on their website.

Another smaller converter who does lots of these is Colorado Camper in Loveland, CO. They did my little old lady basic van conversion on my Promaster 1500 for me, but most of their work is more to your interest. Every once in awhile they have resales on their website.
Thank you! This is the direction I am looking for. On a side note, how did you like the Simplicity and why the switch to the Promaster? Thank you, I value your input!
Old 09-26-2022, 01:34 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you! This is the direction I am looking for. On a side note, how did you like the Simplicity and why the switch to the Promaster? Thank you, I value your input!
I loved my Simplicity, which came on a Promaster 2500, but my usage is quite different from yours. Mine was never off a paved road. lol And I figured I better downsize before I was too old to arrange it.

So, I ordered the smallest van in the US that I can stand up in (at 5'4")... the Promaster 1500 with the short wheel base. It is only 16 feet long and actually shorter than my old Toyota Sienna. With the front wheel drive, it is like an SUV more than anything else. It has a full electrical system with 2 AGMs, solar, and a 2000w inverter, decent sized trucker fridge, but no tanks or propane. I designed the floor plan and all with Colorado Camper... everything I need, nothing I don't. It is basically a big car with facilities.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #12
Platinum Member

And cute as a bug.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:36 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote: