Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Just in time for Xmas

True Value Hardware has come up with a Junior Size oil-filled heater that is just what Santa can bring for Christmas. It is about 12 x 14 x 4 and max ouput is around 2700 BTU at 700 watts. On sale now at $20! Mine is already at work.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Just in time for Xmas

I like it.

I was looking at those just last week. They were on sale up here at around $20 also. I missed out and now they're $40+ again. I have a small ceramic heater with a fan that, when you are awake, you hardly notice the noise it makes. However, it seems very noisy in the middle of a quiet night when you are trying to sleep.

I'd like to get one like you have. There are no moving parts to fail.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
Gold Member

I've been using one of these for about a year now. I chose it specifically because there's no surface that gets hot enough to pose a fire hazard. Works well (and it's silent). Think I bought it at Canadian Tire and I know I paid less than $40.
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I got one at Cdn tire yesterday on sale at $29.99 reg price is $49.99.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I gotta ask, why?
Why not run your furnace for heat? Fan noise? My wife hates the fan noise, but when there's
snow outside, it does the job pretty well keeping us from freezing.
Does your solar charging system generate 700W of heating capacity?
I'd think it would drain you faster than the sun could replenish.
Just wondering.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
Platinum Member

You'd used a heater like this when you're plugged in. Vern might not have a propane furnace.

I have a propane furnace but use an auxiliary heater to save propane. I was using 5lbs of propane a day when it was cold in October.

(Note to clarify) That was while parked. When it is minus 6 you have keep the furnace on. We set it as low as 60F when we were out.

When we were driving everyday we didn't use nearly as much. The dash heater kept us warm and we only needed to run the furnace in late evening and early morning.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I see. So at a campground, plugged in for example? Boondockers that we are, I hadn't considered that.
We rarely stay anywhere that has water/sewer/electric hookups, so it didn't occur to me. Apologies.
However, doing the "Devil's Advocate" thing,
1 Imperial gallon of water weighs about 10 lbs., I believe.
I am going to assume liquid propane would weigh about the same. (This may be my argument's failing, if incorrect)
5 lbs. of propane would then constitute about 1/2 gallon or about 2.25 litres.
A chart I found online lists propane as costing $0.61/litre as at Dec 1, 2009 (it's actually closer to $0.53 near me today).
http://www2.nrcan.gc.ca/eneene/sources/ ... fuel_e.cfm
So your propane heating cost would be about $1.50/day, assuming you didn't cook or heat water with it too?
So it's still a cheap way to heat when not plugged in?
If Vern doesn't have a propane furnace, could his solar/battery rig run that heater for very long?
I'm still thinking about adding a solar powered "off the grid" solution to our RT sometime.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #8

I have something similar in my bedroom (no central heating ). Be warned mine makes lots of clicking noises so its hard to sleep if you leave it on!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
..........If Vern doesn't have a propane furnace, could his solar/battery rig run that heater for long?...........
Short answer: NO 700 watts divided by 12 volts divided by 90% inverter inefficiency equal 65 amp hrs. Maybe 45 to 50 minutes heating per battery until it is depleted.

Re: the cost - this is in a Class C - I was running off a 20lb BBQ tank because only one place in town had propane and only one staff member was allowed to operate the pump. Packing up to drive to get propane in the RV was hit & miss. It was easier to use and refill the BBQ tank. The BBQ tank lasted 4 days only using it for heating. I figured it was closer to $10 per day for heat during the minus temperature days. (I sometimes overestimate things )

With a 30 amp hookup in a campground I've already paid for 3600 watts of electricity so I doubt using 700 watts for heat would be a problem for them.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I hear you, about trying to find a propane place with someone who's allowed to safely deliver it.
It can be a hassle. And packing up just to get propane doesn't make sense either. So the 20 lb.
tank only lasts 4 days? That's not so good either.
Like I said, I forgot about the size of the C and that you were in a site with hookups and the
electricity is included in the site price.
Electric heat, it is!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Hey! I resemble this discussion. Mike, in my roll-your-own motor home, there never was a thought given to propane anything. Heat when hooked up is from either the 1500 watt maximum oil-filled heater when I know it'll be well down the thermometer or the 700 watt new little guy that will cover the down-to-25 or so temperatures. Both assume site ameneties include 20-amp or better AC. I opt for the oil-filled heaters as delightfully quiet in their operation. I'm no fan of noise.

When it's cold and no access to 120 volts? A dog or two, or lots of those wonderful Hudsons Bay blankets.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 AM   #12
Platinum Member

When it's 10F like last November in a Walmart in WV, the noise of the furnace and blower is the
least of my worries. There was enough wind to blow the snow around, so it's too bad we didn't
have a small wind turbine to run a heater - I think Canadian Tire sells a smallish turbine that can produce
440W at 40kph wind speed, or something like that - you could run that little 700W heater on and off
for a few hours maybe. Just crank her up like a satellite dish and off you go. It WAS windy that night.
Too bad renewable energy isn't quite efficient enough yet to power the heaters and microwaves
and air conditioners without any help. Wouldn't it be nice to have a roof covered in high efficiency
panels that didn't cost $100K, or a small sized wind turbine that produces kilowatts/hour instead of
just a few hundred watts? Or a heat source that didn't require so much wattage to keep you warm at
night? I guess if you could carry enough batteries that you could run stuff and recharge in a few hours
that would be about as close as we'll get, but the weight of them would crush your suspension.
Is there an answer?
I'm thinking nuclear next year......
Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Im with you, Mike. Nuclear is the solution. Just a little reactor, size of a lunch box or so? I read somewhere that a technology breakthrough had been made to make the fuel a little more user friendly. Funny, nothing more found after that single item. Had to do with how the fuel was packaged. Pellets instead of rods. Something like that.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #14

What is the name of this small space heater? went to the local ACE and they never heard of it. Looks like a good triad off on the power requirement.
thedoodaa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Mine is "Lancaster". It may be sold under different brand names. I've it (or something very similar to it) in three stores, each with different packaging.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:01 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernM
Im with you, Mike. Nuclear is the solution. Just a little reactor, size of a lunch box or so? I read somewhere that a technology breakthrough had been made to make the fuel a little more user friendly. Funny, nothing more found after that single item. Had to do with how the fuel was packaged. Pellets instead of rods. Something like that.
Or, perhaps more like an "easy bake oven" style heater?
How much heat does a 15W incandescent bulb generate?
How long could you run one (or more) off of your renewable energy setup?
Or, just off your house batteries?
Here's a strange tirade by a guy in the States.
Not sure if it's real or just some guy's idle ramblings but here's the link..
http://www.toad.net/~jsmeenen/electric.html

Maybe a battery and light bulb would work as well as a radiant oil filled heater?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:44 AM   #17

Thanks I'll Google it now. Down here in Corpus that is about all one would need. 42% now and that's cold for me. W
thedoodaa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #18
Platinum Member

The version pictured is branded "Westpointer."

Old 01-09-2010, 02:28 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Default these little heaters

THANKS for this post ( altho old) I found these in my local True Value, on sale for $19.95 and bought two.
I have used the full size kind for years and years as the heat in my building is forced air and I don't like it blowing dust all around. Plus it seems rooms get cold spots. I like the oil filled for QUIET and large heating area for it's size. I have a ceiling fan on low 24 hrs a day to circulate heat into all corners. I don't know about efficient-- they seem efficient as they cycle off and on MUCH less often than an equivalent ceramic/fan heater I have in the same room -- WHICH I TURN OFF AT NIGHT TO SLEEP- SO NOISY!!! An electrician told me once "watts are watts" as far as heat goes. I leave lamps on for heat, too.

So this little one is perfect for bathrooms. I am debating whether to take one in the van.... it takes up hardly any room, yay, but can only be used if I am plugged in- nay.
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernM
Hey! I resemble this discussion. Mike, in my roll-your-own motor home, there never was a thought given to propane anything. Heat when hooked up is from either the 1500 watt maximum oil-filled heater when I know it'll be well down the thermometer or the 700 watt new little guy that will cover the down-to-25 or so temperatures. Both assume site ameneties include 20-amp or better AC. I opt for the oil-filled heaters as delightfully quiet in their operation. I'm no fan of noise.

When it's cold and no access to 120 volts? A dog or two, or lots of those wonderful Hudsons Bay blankets.
I hope the dogs and HBC blankies are handy, wherever you are, as it's getting COOOOOOLD out there!!!
I can't be bothered heading south for warmth as there doesn't appear to be any!!
Mexico is even looking frigid right now.
I hope everyone is safe and warm in this classic demonstration of global warming/climate change.