Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2023, 09:11 AM   #1

Default Leaks in my 2004 Roadtrek

Hello,

I purchased my 2004 170 Classic Roadtrek last year and realized it leaks. Have spent a lot of money to get it fixed but it still leaks. Wondering, if well nuts were changed on the A/C cover, should it take two hours to complete? I was told that the cover on the A/C is just cosmetic and not a source for leaks. Very frustrating, can’t help feel like I’m being taken for a ride. Excuse the pun.

Also, wondering if anyone knows of and/or has a black tank kit that Roadtrek had before they went bankrupt?

Thank you,
HeatherRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:42 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Just an opinion but they are correct that the well nuts are not the source of the leaks.

Does it leak if the coach is parked nose high?

Never heard of a black tank kit so more info is necessary.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:59 AM   #3
Platinum Member

General consensus is well nuts can leak. I would guess that 2 hours to replace all well nuts is on the high end, but not highway robbery. If I suspect a leak I cover the area with tape before it rains to check.

Have a 200 and do not know much about a 170, many Leaks in the rear are not leaks but the pan under the AC over flowing. My RT must be parked with front higher than rear or water will come inside. Also drain tube can be blocked.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 01:52 PM   #4
Gold Member

If if leaks in the rear area it is probably the well nuts. 2 hrs as stated is not that bad. I replaced mine and some can be a booger to get out. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2023, 02:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

After further thought yes, if water gets past the well nuts it will find its way inside. Maybe they didn’t replace all of them with new soft rubber ones. I think they are 10X32X1 inch.

Anyhow, cover the seam with 2” clear strapping tape, missing the screw heads so it lies flat. If it stops the leak then you can deal with it in the spring.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 05:24 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherRV View Post
Hello,

I purchased my 2004 170 Classic Roadtrek last year and realized it leaks. Have spent a lot of money to get it fixed but it still leaks. Wondering, if well nuts were changed on the A/C cover, should it take two hours to complete? I was told that the cover on the A/C is just cosmetic and not a source for leaks. Very frustrating, can’t help feel like I’m being taken for a ride. Excuse the pun.

Also, wondering if anyone knows of and/or has a black tank kit that Roadtrek had before they went bankrupt?

Thank you,
Hi -
Where is it leaking in the rear? Directly under the AC unit or along the sides or somewhere else? It could be the roof rail seam where the fiberglass top attaches to the van roof.

Just a thought.

Also, is your black tank leaking/cracked?
Old 12-01-2023, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
Hi -
Where is it leaking in the rear? Directly under the AC unit or along the sides or somewhere else? It could be the roof rail seam where the fiberglass top attaches to the van roof.

Just a thought.

Also, is your black tank leaking/cracked?
Thank you for replying. Actually I don’t know where the leak is coming from that’s the problem but water is coming out above the visors. All underneath the top of the windshield is wet yet the windshield does not leak. I’m assuming water is coming in at the back then running along and exciting at the front.
Old 12-01-2023, 11:02 AM   #8

Oh to answer your second question Kurt, no my black tank is not leaking. It is a two person job trying to put the hose back after dumping. I was told Roadtrek had a kit to help with that.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:09 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherRV View Post
Thank you for replying. Actually I don’t know where the leak is coming from that’s the problem but water is coming out above the visors. All underneath the top of the windshield is wet yet the windshield does not leak. I’m assuming water is coming in at the back then running along and exciting at the front.
I am 99 percent certain that you need to seal the entire rain gutter where the fiberglass roof meets the van roof. You are correct in that the water is getting in and moving forward. I had the exact issue you had and spent much time trying to stop the leak by resealing the windshield and the area around it. Nothing worked until I removed the awning and resealed the entire channel. I did both sides but the passenger side on mine was leaking.

Dry as a bone now.
HTH
Old 12-02-2023, 04:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Just an opinion but they are correct that the well nuts are not the source of the leaks.

Does it leak if the coach is parked nose high?

Never heard of a black tank kit so more info is necessary.
Yes it does leak parked high and when it rains so not residual water. The kit for the black tank is a device Roadtrek devised to help when replacing the hose as it’s very cumbersome.
Old 12-02-2023, 04:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
I am 99 percent certain that you need to seal the entire rain gutter where the fiberglass roof meets the van roof. You are correct in that the water is getting in and moving forward. I had the exact issue you had and spent much time trying to stop the leak by resealing the windshield and the area around it. Nothing worked until I removed the awning and resealed the entire channel. I did both sides but the passenger side on mine was leaking.

Dry as a bone now.
HTH
Thank you, I’ll suggest that to the next service centre I plan to go to. I’m going to have a Sealtech system done to ensure the leak and/or leaks are found and dealt with for the last time.
Old 12-02-2023, 04:25 AM   #12

I greatly appreciate the replies.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:05 PM   #13
Silver Member

Sealtech should find it and as you have mentioned the source can be several feet away. My 2005 leaked where the satellite dish was mounted. It was mounted behind the vent and the water traveled forward or back depending on the van's position. One of the places it appeared was above the passenger side visor.
2006 Roadtrek 210 Versatile, 400W Solar, 320AH LiFePO4. Suspension mods: Front: Moog 81004 coil springs. Rear: SuperSteer Track Bar, AirLift airbags with integrated bump stop, 2" lift blocks, removed overload leafs. All around: Bilsteins, 265-75R16 K02's
Luv2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 11:55 PM   #14

Wait… I must be missing something…. Where is the leak?
BikerMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 03:48 PM   #15

Had same problem with 2007 190 Popular. Even had water dripping down from above the front windshield inside. Did everything: pressure test, windows, even had the entire roof liner removed. Still leaked like a sieve. Then talked to someone from Roadtrek Canada who told/showed me where the problem might be. At the back, over the windows, but under the heat pump, he had me spray some silicone sealer from the left side to the right side; kind of like between the layers. $20 in spray and no more leaks! Worth a try.
smruff@cox.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 03:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smruff@cox.net View Post
Had same problem with 2007 190 Popular. Even had water dripping down from above the front windshield inside. Did everything: pressure test, windows, even had the entire roof liner removed. Still leaked like a sieve. Then talked to someone from Roadtrek Canada who told/showed me where the problem might be. At the back, over the windows, but under the heat pump, he had me spray some silicone sealer from the left side to the right side; kind of like between the layers. $20 in spray and no more leaks! Worth a try.
Yes. I had someone else seal the side gutter where the awning is. He said there were gaps there. It has rained here for a few days and so far it’s dry. I too had water coming out from my visors.
Old 12-19-2023, 03:54 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smruff@cox.net View Post

Spray sealer? Got a product name and part number?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote