Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Camper Van concept

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter at the Caravan Salon 2013 Show in Düsseldorf:

Sprinter Caravan study

Quote:
30 August 2013

An eye-catcher at the Mercedes-Benz stand at the Caravan Salon is the fully functional cut-away model of a new high-roof Mercedes-Benz Sprinter fully converted into a camper van. The right-hand side of the vehicle is completely open from the middle of the front passenger door to the rear axle, revealing a living area with front seats turned around and a spacious side-facing bench seat – which can be pulled out to form a double bed – a kitchen to the left of the opening and a bathroom with integrated wardrobe fitted in transverse position in the rear.

The cut-away model is fitted with furniture featuring a hard-wearing HPL coating in high-gloss white, grey laminate flooring, and seats featuring white genuine automobile leather from Mercedes-Benz. This combination lends the interior the elegant character of a yacht. Side walls and ceiling are covered in Alcantara, with LED lighting throughout. On the outside, the Sprinter sports the new tenorite grey metallic paint finish.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MB Sprinter Concept 1.jpg (91.2 KB, 5950 views)
File Type: jpg MB Sprinter Concept 2.jpg (100.1 KB, 5947 views)
File Type: jpg MB Sprinter Concept 3.jpg (94.1 KB, 5945 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Camper Van concept

When I was at the Sportsmobile shop back in March, I saw an upfitted 2500 Sprinter with a floorplan similar to this. The bathroom was in the back, except the toilet was in the middle and the shower was off to the side. The toilet in use in this one appears to be a swivel type, but I don't see anything like made by Thetford or Dometic. The swivel function is nice, as it can rotate out for use, then be turned out of the way.

That would make for an interesting Sportsmobile plan, although I'd rather go with a 3500 Sprinter with the 170" wheelbase, because that gives two more feet of usable space for vital storage. With a cassette toilet, I wouldn't have to worry about a black tank (and if boondocking, could store extra 5-6 gallon cassettes on a rear cargo rack), and the grey tank can be easily located a distance away.

If Mercedes is making this, I'd expect it to be pretty pricy, likely on par with Airstreams and Advanced RV prices.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Mercedes noted this as being a "study" and other news sites called it a "concept". What is interesting is that Mercedes brought it to the show, not one of the many other RV manufacturers.

As we camp less and tour more something like this begins to look very attractive. I like the - what looks to be a - big stand-up shower area in the rear

Do you think Mercedes will start offering MB branded camper vans?
Old 09-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
When I was at the Sportsmobile shop back in March, I saw an upfitted 2500 Sprinter with a floorplan similar to this. The bathroom was in the back, except the toilet was in the middle and the shower was off to the side. The toilet in use in this one appears to be a swivel type, but I don't see anything like made by Thetford or Dometic. The swivel function is nice, as it can rotate out for use, then be turned out of the way.

That would make for an interesting Sportsmobile plan, although I'd rather go with a 3500 Sprinter with the 170" wheelbase, because that gives two more feet of usable space for vital storage. With a cassette toilet, I wouldn't have to worry about a black tank (and if boondocking, could store extra 5-6 gallon cassettes on a rear cargo rack), and the grey tank can be easily located a distance away.

If Mercedes is making this, I'd expect it to be pretty pricy, likely on par with Airstreams and Advanced RV prices.

thetford cassette toilet swivel bowl.

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/Products/P ... fault.aspx
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I saw that swivel bowl, but the back of it is too high. The one in the M-B model has a back almost level with the toilet bowl. It could have been cut down with a Dremel though.

Here in the US, I'm sure MB coming out with a campervan will sell, likely taking business away from Airstream. I like the big shower and toilet in the back, although the gaucho style floor plan means that one person will have to squeeze out somehow to not wake the other to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

For a floorplan, I think it is hard to beat the European design that had an aisle shower, but used sliding partitions so people could use that or the bathroom in privacy. That way, the actual bathroom didn't take much space in a 20' (or technically 6m) "B".
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

That Mercedes Benz concept RV looks like a shorter model available in Europe but not available here.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

That short wheel base with that awning, #%&*#@$#&. Looks like a big wort.......

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Are those pics of the actual rig? For some reason it looks like a computer rendering photoshopped in. Maybe it is just me!
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I cropped and re-sized the photos to get the best fit for the forum. I has been widely reported as being at the Caravan Salon 2013 show and at least one site said the reporter was at the show. Apparently MB cut the side away for this display.

I sent an email off to try to find out the wheelbase length.

Here are a few photo zooms:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear view camera.jpg (66.2 KB, 5768 views)
File Type: jpg pocket door.jpg (52.3 KB, 5765 views)
File Type: jpg left side rear storage.jpg (130.7 KB, 5766 views)
File Type: jpg cassette zoom.jpg (71.2 KB, 5766 views)
File Type: jpg cabinets.jpg (73.3 KB, 5768 views)
Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Mercedes noted this as being a "study" and other news sites called it a "concept". What is interesting is that Mercedes brought it to the show, not one of the many other RV manufacturers.

As we camp less and tour more something like this begins to look very attractive. I like the - what looks to be a - big stand-up shower area in the rear

Do you think Mercedes will start offering MB branded camper vans?
Amen. Someone finally gets the dry(?) shower/bathroom in a class B right (I think?).
Where can I pick one up? Dusseldorf?
If it's MB all the way, it's not gonna be cheap, unless they figure out how to blend price and function. Looks like they're already halfway there. Cool layout, and I love the loo.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
Platinum Member

You get a glimpse of the Mercedes concept in this video of the show. (at the 2 minute point of the video)

The photos must have been flipped horizontally because the opening is on the other side of the van.

[youtube:3m2idm20]q8BiJjtDuWI[/youtube:3m2idm20]
Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Or, the show was in England, not Germany. Or, the van was an attempt to target English RV enthusiasts? It's not unusual to see both right and left hand drive vehicles in limited quantities on the roadways in the UK, but also on the continent. They seem to be able to handle the issues of driving on the "other" road system with their personal vehicles better than we might over here, if placed in that position. Thankfully, we all chose the same system setup here in North America.
Sorry, my mind wanders often these days.......
Old 09-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Good point Mike. This show was in Germany but the studio photos must be of one for the UK market as you point out.

I just flipped one of the MB concept photos I have and zoomed in on the fridge brand label. The lettering was reversed in the photo I flipped. So MB built at least two of these display units.

The show video was interesting. Lots of smaller units, the "Class C's" even appear to be not as wide as what we see in North America.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Platinum Member

They probably had a British Isle version there with the flipped door.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
That Mercedes Benz concept RV looks like a shorter model available in Europe but not available here.
Great observation Davydd.

The MB concept Sprinter in the photos and at the show is a "compact" model. The length is 17.26 feet. (confirmed by email)

MB USA website lists the shortest Sprinter in North America as 19.38 feet.
MB USA website lists the regular Sprinter as 22.77 feet.
MB USA website lists the extended Sprinter as 24.1 feet.

The 17.26' MB concept looks surprisingly adequate (provide the bed is sufficient) to be used as two person touring van.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Keep in mind there are quite a few other worldwide markets that are right hand drive, including but not limited to southern Africa, some Caribbean islands, Shanghai/Hong Kong, Australia/New Zealand, and many other Far East places which were originally British Empire members that inherited the "other" roadway system from them. Not sure how many class B vans would be sold there, but you never know?
Map of the world.....current left/right hand drive status
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sens_ ... lation.png
Map of which countries changed from one to the other...... confusion? I'm not sure about some of the claims it makes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filerivi ... storic.png
Old 09-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
Platinum Member

It is interesting that there don't seem to be any pix of the van at the show, except for the quick look that Marko found on the video. Everyone is using the same, must be MB released photos. Don't they allow cameras at the show?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote