Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #1

Default Michelin 225 75 R16 LTX M/S2's

Just in case you, like me, got excited when the Michelin website said the M/S 2 with it's great performance ratings is available in your size, I'll spare you the extra heart beats. It's a mistake. Do not bother to call every tire dealer in your area thinking the first guy who said it's not available is just giving you the jazz cuz the plain M/S is what he's got in the warehouse, and don't bother to call Michelin themselves. I did all this for you. Michelin does not make the LTX M/S 2 in this size, your choice is the plain M/S or the A/T 2.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Michelin 225 75 R16 LTX M/S2's

Perhaps there is a comparably sized MS2 that would fit your vehicle? Not exact the original
equipment manufacturer's size, but something that would fit and be safe in the tire you desire?

I went with the AT2 in the LT245 75R16 Loadrange E size for my Chevy based Roadtrek. I liked
the slightly more aggressive tread pattern, and figured they would serve me better in muck and snow,
which they do. I don't notice any road noise at speed on the freeway, and I'm pretty sure they are
rated as quiet as their more tamely treaded sisters.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #3

Mike, we just got the straight MS. We didn't want to put off the decision any longer, and these should be fine. We put this tire on our job and have loved it. Got close to buying Toyos instead as so many people love them, but one guy (who sells both) said that where he would easily choose them for a smaller car, especially for less money, "the bigger they get, the louder they get" so if having less road noise was an issue we might want to stay with Michelins. We did.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

There have been more than a few discussions on here (go figure?) about tires, when and which ones
are favorites, and why. I would think that if you did a search for the keyword - Michelin - up in the
top right hand corner of this page, you'll find a lot of comments about them as the most preferred
replacement tires, when money is no object (it's true that they can be more expensive up front,
but the wear rate on them justifies it, in my opinion). There are other good tires, but Michs are
great, also in my opinion and experience. The only other options I might go with, if there were no
comparable Michelins available, would be Bridgestones or BF Goodrich (I believe they are made by
Michelin?). I've probably put about 75,000 miles on the last set of AT2s I bought for the Roadtrek,
and I believe they will still probably pass a tread depth test for a vehicle safety.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #5

I've got Toyos on my new Murano and they're great. No complaint, and would happily have had them. But in this neck of the woods Toyos for the Sprinter weren't any cheaper than Michelins, so once the cost advantage went out the window we had no problem "settling" for Michelins. We're just sorry they don't make the M/S2 in our size. That WOULD have been the perfect tire.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Don't know much about Toyo, but the Michelin MS, AT2, and MS2 are all rated pretty close
at Discount Tire. I got my last set of AT2s there and I like their prices, sales, and service.
The MS2 has an extra 10,000 miles of warranty over the other 2. There must be a reason?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #7

Discount Tire is exactly who we bought from, and I agree.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Platinum Member

We just got a set of Mich. LTX M/S2 size 265/75-16 from the Discount Store in Prescott, AZ.
Total cost incl. 9+% sales tax & all was $1443.25 (yikes)! Salesman claimed they no longer offer the AT2, but we got the 70k mile warranty.
So, now we are planning our big trip to Alaska, Yukon, B.C. in Aug. & Sept. and I'm looking on line for Discount Tire stores in B.C. (they call themselves Americas' Tire Store). But Alas, they only have a few stores in the Vancouver/Victoria area. Nothing further North! Last I knew British Columbia, Yukon & all of Canada are on the No. America Continent!! We plan to spend a lot of time in B.C, but not the metro. Vancouver area. IF we have tire trouble we'll have to find a non-Discount tire store Pay through the nose & wonder if Discount tire will reimburse us for warranty - Ha... OR, we'll carry two spares & limp back to a store in the "Real America"!?
I am OCD on these kinda' things. So I'm sure it'll all work out once we get 100 miles from home...
P.S. Oh, I should have mentioned that the cost of these tires did include New Black wheel rims (sexy) with zero offset @ $260. Plus, I did get the $70. Michelin $70. rebate in the mail - so that helped.
But, my main point is that there are no Discount Tire dealers in the interior of the far NorthWest of "America'!
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Platinum Member

No AT/2 models any more? Their website says they do, several types in fact, although the difference is
whether you want plain black sidewall, or white lettering.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/filter ... cs=&fcsr=*
Got 4 in San Angelo, TX for around $800 all in, about 3 years ago. I think that store is closed now,
but I'm not sure. We were just passing through, and I finally decided we needed new tires.
The original Bridgestones were literally wearing thin. The AT/2 has a 60,000 mile warranty. Mine
are past that, and still in good shape. They tend to be stone pickers anyway, so you might be
better off with the MS/2s, if you're going to be on a lot of gravel roads.

Glad you mentioned the rims, as I was wondering about the $1400 price tag for 4 X MS/2.
I didn't think they would have gone up that much in price. Did you need new rims? I had thought
about it at the time, because they had a helluva time getting them off, with all the road dust and
grunge built up on the wheels. The originals probably hadn't been rotated since they were new.

The best you can do is to check out DT in the Washington state area, just before you exit the "real
America" and maybe get them checked. Once in Canada, try Canadian Tire for tire service and
repairs. There are other outfits like Green and Ross, and Beverly Tire, but I have little experience
with them.

Maybe other Canuck forum members can suggest some automotive/tire shops in the western
provinces? If you need service, your best bet might be to use whatever ERS service you have and
see what they suggest. CAA/AAA, Coachnet, or Good Sam probably will help you figure it out.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Mike; Thanks for the tips on Canadian Tire dealers. I doubt we will have tire troubles, 'cause we're staying pretty much on main hiways. But I like to over think & obsess on the worst case possibilities. Some people call it planning.
Re: the rims; not sure we needed to buy new ones. But I thought best to get zero off-set, per another discussion on this forum and that we went up in size to 265/75 16 from 245s.
We did manage to get clearance for the 265s with a little bit of a lift. That's a whole 'nuther long story/hassle. But I don't really want to start another thread. Ric.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #11
Platinum Member

My fault. I misread your note, and missed that you'd gone up a size to the LT265.
That would also explain the rims and the lift. Sorry, my bad.
Not that it matters now but Discount Tire has the AT/2 in black sidewall, I believe, in LT265 size.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/ ... o?pc=35377
So LT265 MS/2 fit, and don't have wheel well clearance issues when you turn them lock to lock?
I had considered going up a size a while back but I couldn't justify the mods to the benefits.
Let us know how they work out, and if you run into any unforeseen stuff in the real world.

Planning to some, is OCD to others.
Boy scout 101.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ADVenturist
Mike; Thanks for the tips on Canadian Tire dealers. I doubt we will have tire troubles, 'cause we're staying pretty much on main hiways. But I like to over think & obsess on the worst case possibilities. Some people call it planning.
Re: the rims; not sure we needed to buy new ones. But I thought best to get zero off-set, per another discussion on this forum and that we went up in size to 265/75 16 from 245s.
We did manage to get clearance for the 265s with a little bit of a lift. That's a whole 'nuther long story/hassle. But I don't really want to start another thread. Ric.
We are the ones that started the offset/bigger tires stuff a while ago. There are some terminology issues folks need to be aware of, if they start talking to wheel folks, that could get them into the wrong wheels. Many people refer to "zero" offset wheels to be the one that came on the vehicle, as it is not offset from where the factory wanted it. "Offset" wheels would be anything that is different than a factory wheel. In the wheel business, this is NOT the case. Offset is the dimension from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting flange of the wheel. Positive offset moves the wheel centerline toward the center of the vehicle, and negative offset moves it outboard. So, if you go in and ask for a "zero offset" wheel for you van, you will get one that has the centerline of the wheel right over the mounting flange. YOU WILL ALSO GET THE WRONG WHEEL FOR AN EXPRESS VAN (if you are trying to get the factory offset). The factory wheels have an offset of +28mm, so a zero offset wheel will be over an inch moved outboard. The AR wheels that were on our 07 Roadtrek were -6mm offset and even further out.

With a zero offset wheel, you are much more likely that the bigger front tires will rub on the front or rear of wheel wheel opening as the tires move for and aft more than with the factory offset.

The wheel offset thread was a very good, and very thorough discussion, and well worth the read if you are considering tire/wheel changes.

http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=12&t=2084
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Actually my reasons were to see if a slightly larger diameter wheel/tire combo would have any
significant effect on improving on the fuel economy of my '02 C190P. Was that where you
were going? I followed the offset thread discussion, but I think it was more about the safety
issues and tolerances on various wheel/tire combos. The thread, I think, was targeted towards
people who had experienced premature wheel bearing wear and failures as a result of the
excess negative offsets some rim specs were creating. If I recall correctly?

It actually got brought up again during another more recent discussion about larger wheels
decreasing revs per mile, and in theory increasing fuel economy, but the best increase I
would have been able to achieve was around 2%-3%, and after calculating the cost to change
from the OEM specs, I think it worked out that it would have taken several hundred thousand
miles just to break even. I spoke to GM and my local dealer and they suggested pretty much the
same, that the improvement, while keeping within acceptable safety margins on a larger sized
rim/tire combo, would take a long time pay for itself.
If I can find the old thread I started (at least 2 years back) I'll post a link to it.
It wasn't nearly as techie as your discussions with Photog and booster about wheels and tires.
I enjoy them, though.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
Platinum Member

You would never get the mileage benefit increase that would match the bigger tire circumference percent. The energy to move the van doesn't change, so the only way you get improvement would be the reduction in rpm of the engine and drivetrain parts giving a higher efficiency, and a 2% change in them would give little improvement, and could even hurt you if it downshifted more often.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Here's the link to my thread about "time to get new tires" from just about 3 years ago.
It started with where, and wound up as a cathartic search for truth in the endless battle for
fuel economy through the medium of experimental automotive engineering modifications.
Or, some such nonsense like that.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1258&hilit=new+tire+time
It's only 4 pages or so of commentary, but I think there is some good stuff in it.
If you've got 20 minutes, and are so inclined?

I believe there's mention of the issue of stressing the engine (and brakes, etc.) with over-sized tires,
as you point out.
After much investigation the final decision was OEM spec Michelin tires, and adjusting my driving
habits a bit, which may be the best way to improve fuel economy from a replacement tire perspective.