Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2024, 10:00 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Most things are beyond my paygrade but I never let that stop me. The service manual I have states to chain the spring to the lower control arm. I found this online and wondering how good an idea it is?
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:16 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorman View Post
Bishop Automotive did not use a spring compressor. They of course first installed the new upper and lower control arms. They had a secondary hydraulic lift on their main drive on lift. They lifted the front end of the RT so that the control arms were open to the max, inserted the new coil in place and lowered the front end of the RT compressing the spring and then bolting up the lower ball joints. It was scary to watch and way beyond my abilities. Thankfully I had the sense and the pocketbook to have all this done. It took 300-400 miles for it all to settle in and now have a solid ride and the increase in clearance.
This is how I did mine. And yes, it was scary. I would never do it again. Booster's recommendation of a spring compressor makes sense and should be much safer. With a spring compressor I might consider doing it myself. That's why I recommend you find a shop to do it.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote