Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
I own a 2017 Trend that from WGO has a tow rating of 2K#. I have towed my Smart Car (about 1900#) for over 25K miles with no problems. Because it is under 2K#, I do not have a separate brake system but do have a ready breakaway system for emergency braking if separated from MH. With the V6 I still get between 12-14 mpg at about 60 mph.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
any pics your rig with ur toad?
RSKDSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:44 PM   #22
Platinum Member

You should see my rig on the left of my reply but here it is. I towed from TN up into Canada on maritime Winnebago tour thru New Brunswick and another trip around lake Huron and down into Michigan and home. Photo taken in 2017.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BILD0531.JPG (1.16 MB, 6 views)
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
One more thing to keep in mind on the towing... when people say they are towing at close to their limit without brakes, where are they towing? East coast hills and midwest flatlands towing are not at all the same as west coast towing through the Cascade and Rocky mountain ranges.
I can take you on a good many roads here in the east that will put your heart in you throat! And I'm not talking about 4 lane highways!!!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
I can take you on a good many roads here in the east that will put your heart in you throat! And I'm not talking about 4 lane highways!!!
Yeah, I know there are hills on the east coast, I've lived in Pennsylvania and North Carolina, and have traveled through every state east of the Mississippi multiple times. I've snow skied in WV, PA, VT, NY and NC.

And our hills out here are a lot bigger.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:04 PM   #25
Gold Member

Default Towing ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKDSK View Post
I have a 2021 Thor Tellaro on the Ram platform. It has a tow rating of 3500lbs but with just a 6 cylinder and 9500lbs ... I want to keep towing light and easy as I plan on doing some long trips.
I decided I wanted a secondary mode of transportation and although I wanted a motorcycle, my wife was not comfortable ... so we decided on a Can Am Ryker. The Ryker is just shy of 600lbs and I am in the process of purchasing an all aluminum motorcycle trailer to tow it with (390lbs). All in all should be right around 1000lbs.

My question, is there anyone else towing 1000lbs or so with their class B. Am I asking for problems with the Dodge platform? My next trip is 2400 miles from FL to Zion ... and I want to bring the Ryker ...
Hello I have a 2020 Travato with the 3500lb towing and the V6 turbo can handle it well. I wanted to pull a small car but that was pushing the limit. I thought about a small trailer with golf cart as an option. The Can Am is to exposed to weather conditions for us. I am trying to find a platform but the tongue weight is only 350lb so without reinforcements into the slider I am at a loss (maybe electric bike). If there are any other good ideas I would like also to know. Good luck on your trip. We are planning our trips from FL after April 1. Go home snowbirds. LOL
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:55 PM   #26
Gold Member

I have 14 trailers and long history of towing 7,000 pounds cross country with Chevy based Roadtreks (roughly 20,000 miles per year for over the last twenty years.)
A couple of thoughts for anyone who has not learned from experience.
1. In the real world tow ratings are a good starting point. On short flat roads with low traffic in nice weather they are generally pretty conservative - you can safely tow more.
2. In heavy rain, sudden hydroplaning can occur and is much more likely with a trailer when moderate braking is applied an it can really surprise the uninitiated, resulting in almost no braking. Be super cautious, maybe do a little test braking on a safe section of road which has longitudinal channels where water pools from the weight of tractor trailers on the asphalt.
3. Sudden hard brake application and lane change to avoid a crash can cause unexpected loss of control because the mass and momentum of the trailer and load can push the rear of the tow vehicle around. A jack knife or difficult to control exacerbating sway can develop.
4. Watch for transmission (and engine temperature) climbing in hot weather and long inclines (Rockies & Death Valley for example) Some Class B campers have marginal engine and transmission cooling because the conversion company orders a base model chassis from the van manufacturer without extra cooling that may be needed. Until recently most passenger vehicle manufacturers did no show compliance with SAE J2807 towing standards. They used their own proprietary tow rating tests.
5. I love my proportional electric trailer brake controllers (eg Tekonsha Prodigy 2)
BJ
On third Roadtrek, with 7 full size tow vehicles for my other trailers
Bjones7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:40 PM   #27
Platinum Member

2021 GCVWR is 12,000 lbs. Van will be approx 10,500with full fuel, propane, gear, and people, leaving you 1500 lbs for a trailer.

Based on our experience with our 2020 Tellaro 20AT that would be pushing it.

Part of the attraction for us with a Class B is to never have to tow anything ever again.

I’d second the motion of getting your rig weighed with full fuel, people and gear to see where you come out.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
2021 GCVWR is 12,000 lbs. Van will be approx 10,500with full fuel, propane, gear, and people, leaving you 1500 lbs for a trailer.

Based on our experience with our 2020 Tellaro 20AT that would be pushing it.

Part of the attraction for us with a Class B is to never have to tow anything ever again.

I’d second the motion of getting your rig weighed with full fuel, people and gear to see where you come out.
Wow, is a Travato really heavier than the dually Paseo (assuming that is what you are referring to based on the original post)? Our Paseo is about 9500 lbs fully loaded, leaving about 2500 lbs for a trailer.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
Wow, is a Travato really heavier than the dually Paseo (assuming that is what you are referring to based on the original post)? Our Paseo is about 9500 lbs fully loaded, leaving about 2500 lbs for a trailer.
The Travato GVWR is 9350 and the GCWR is 11,500. That leave room for a 2150 lb trailer including cargo even though they say 3500 lbs.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
Old 03-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #30

Thanks for all the feedback ... still have not decided on a trailer but am planning to keep everything under 1000 lbs
Old 03-13-2021, 02:45 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKDSK View Post
Thanks for all the feedback ... still have not decided on a trailer but am planning to keep everything under 1000 lbs
Small Cargo Trailers by Hybrid Trailer Co., LLC ? Huron, Ohio
I got the largest one they make.
Weight (empty): 250 lbs.
Total Length: 105"
Total Height: 42"
Width (fender to fender): 56"
Compartment Length: 60"
Compartment Height: 22"
Compartment Width: 40"
Volume: 30 cu ft
Max Gross Vehicle Weight: 980 lbs.
Axle Capacity: 1000 lbs.
Wheels: 13" aluminum
Tire Size: 175/80/R13
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
Old 03-13-2021, 06:11 PM   #32

I need at least 62" wide by 8' length just for the Ryker to fit ... The Aluma 638 looked like an option when fitted with the rock guard or the Aluma MC210 can work as well. Bear Track Trailers a nice 65" by 8' and another 65" by 10' with a rock guard that should work as well. All of these trailer are under 450lbs. Then Stinger has a foldable can am Spyder trailer that is 500lbs but is steel ... I am not interested in steel.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:04 AM   #33

Here is a quick video