Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #81
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Roadtrek RS E-Trek

I'm not an electrical expert by any stretch but couldn't anyone knowledgeable figure out what is going on with the system with just a few testing procedures once they get their hands on an E-Trek?

Still too much hocus pocus hype going on to be comfortable with shelling over $100,000+. Hello Ideal. Hello Simplicity.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #82
Platinum Member

We've been speculating that Roadtrek would have used (or added) a high output alternator .............................. wrong!

They must be using a 110 volt generator under the hood in RS E-Trek!

http://www.fabcopower.com/generat/bgen.htm

Maybe the 2500 Watts Continuous / 3500 Watts Peak model

I was looking at the video and realized that was a generator not an alternator on the table.

From the Roadtrek E-Trek video:

[youtube:276pmlav]e7ZJlxygtzk[/youtube:276pmlav]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power-mite .jpg (44.1 KB, 1335 views)
File Type: jpg e-trek generator.jpg (29.5 KB, 1335 views)
File Type: jpg power mite logo roadtrek video.JPG (24.5 KB, 1099 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #83
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

So, no inverter required to make my morning coffee? That might be an nice feature for those of us who aren't particularly enamored with 12V devices, and converting power back and forth between 12VDC and 110VAC. Still requires extended periods of idling the engine to produce the juice. And some way of stabilizing the output. If they've solved that problem efficiently, they might be on to something.

This could all be solved (for me, at least) if someone could just build a whisper quiet, fuel efficient, low rpm, generator to replace the "lawn mower" Onans we have to endure currently. Something that would hum rather than rattle, while running. I'd swap my 2002 Onan for a quieter model if there was an easy retrofit. Think I'll go have a look. Onan upgrades aren't widely advertised.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #84
Platinum Member

You'd use the Outback inverter in the RS E-trek all the time I'd expect. All loads would route through the inverter even if the engine is running. The generator can't be started with a load so the inverter would solve that in an all electric coach. So, I think RT would have used that option.

If the engine is running 110 volt would "pass-through" the inverter to power the coffee maker etc. so no draw on the battery.

Also,
Quote:
The engine speed should be approximately 1200 to 1600 rpm to obtain 60 cycles at full load.
So I think Roadtrek would have opted for one of the fast idle options in the Sprinters they ordered.

Edit: optional regulator is for voltage control not Hz Thanks to Yan Seiner on the RT Yahoo Group for noting that.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #85
Platinum Member

how many cups per gallon would it get, I wonder?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #86
Platinum Member

50 cups per US gallon.

Math: .75 GPH at 1,200 RPM so one gallon would give you 1 hr 20 minutes brewing time. 15 minutes brewing cycle on your 10 cup Hamilton Beach so 5 complete cycles with 1 minute coffee machine reload times per carafe allowed.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #87
Platinum Member

So, now I need to figure out how to use that piece in my home made, quiet generator. You guys keep coming up with stuff that interests me too much! Not enough time or money to do it all.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #88
Platinum Member

I'm still patiently waiting to see what Advanced RV comes up with. They were the ones that I think started this new thinking, especially about electrical systems in Class B's dating back to Great West Vans and a push by the customer that eventually started Advanced RV. They've gone a bit quiet this month. We may not see anything until the January Florida Super Show which I imagine would give them time to respond to the E-Trek. I was hoping this would be the month.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #89
Platinum Member

Standard equipment in my 2004 Roadtrek included an inverter/charger that could function in UPS mode upping low campground AC input voltage to acceptable levels and offering surge protection on most circuits. 8 years later, do any other B manufacturers offer that as either standard or optional equipment?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #90
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I'm still patiently waiting to see what Advanced RV comes up with. They were the ones that I think started this new thinking, especially about electrical systems in Class B's dating back to Great West Vans and a push by the customer that eventually started Advanced RV. They've gone a bit quiet this month. We may not see anything until the January Florida Super Show which I imagine would give them time to respond to the E-Trek. I was hoping this would be the month.
Maybe that is their response, to wait and see how the E-Trek is received at market? In my opinion, it would be premature and reckless for any competitor to jump in with both feet, to counter a product which might not fly with the consumers in the first place.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #91
Platinum Member

I don't think Advanced RV is concerned about market acceptance of the E-Trek. I think though they are competitive enough that they would like to be the most "advanced" as they state in the name of their company.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #92
Platinum Member

Perhaps they will be the most advanced RV some day, but a good first step towards that might be to actually convert and/or sell something, so the market can judge the product in the real world, not just some computer model, as ME suggested in one of the videos on their website, that would be their first build.
My point was, if other converters see the E-Trek fall flat, it might give them a clue as to what the buyers actually want in an RV, and they can adjust their R&D accordingly. Don't be too swift to respond, if no direct response is required?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #93
Platinum Member

Let's use this topic: Advanced RV topic link to discuss the Advanced RV offerings.

Re: the RS E-Trek generator

Do the generators in these two photos look pretty much the same?

Generator from the RS E-Trek video:

Power-Mite generator:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power mite logo roadtrek video.JPG (24.5 KB, 726 views)
File Type: jpg power-mite .jpg (44.1 KB, 724 views)
Old 10-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #94
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Let's use this topic: Advanced RV topic link to discuss the Advanced RV offerings.

Re: the RS E-Trek generator

Do the generators in these two photos look pretty much the same?

Generator from the RS E-Trek video:

Power-Mite generator:
I just did.
And, yes, they do, but I'm not sure what that means.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #95
Platinum Member

I posted the second photo on FB but Jim said that "is not what we are using to generate".

Now I'm wondering if it was all just props in the video or is he trying to keep it secret......... but why show it in the E-trek announcement video..............
Old 10-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #96
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Perhaps they will be the most advanced RV some day, but a good first step towards that might be to actually convert and/or sell something, so the market can judge the product in the real world, not just some computer model, as ME suggested in one of the videos on their website, that would be their first build.
My point was, if other converters see the E-Trek fall flat, it might give them a clue as to what the buyers actually want in an RV, and they can adjust their R&D accordingly. Don't be too swift to respond, if no direct response is required?
I'm not sure anyone will know whether the E-trek will fall flat or not by January when Advanced RV hopefully will unveil their new B. That's why I don't think that concern is a factor. As for innovation, Leisure Travel Vans is the most advanced in that category in my mind with their new Free Spirit SS with not only new physical ideas (slide out) but also, for the first time in recent years, a new design layout for a B. The Winnebago ERA 70A plan is another quieter layout innovation. The biggest disappointment with the E-Trek is the apparent same old same old RS Adventurous plan layout. No innovation in that area at all and I think they mistake their market dominance for many reasons as an endorsement of that plan. As people might gather I don't care for it at all. Tell me you like your refrigerator on the floor, microwave under the counter and backward plan focused on the campsite next to you (rhetorical comment of course).
Old 10-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #97
Platinum Member

If Advanced RV doesn't show up with something more than a laptop with some drawings and schematics at their unveiling at the 2013 Supershow in Tampa, then I'd say they are finished. If they do produce a prototype, I imagine it will be a one of a kind, to see what interest, if any, there is in it at their price point. I would also imagine that if there isn't sufficient real interest, aka cash orders at the show, Mike Neundorfer will buy/keep the prototype (which he effectively paid for anyway) and fold up shop. Where the ideas guy goes after that is anyone's guess. Maybe back to Great West?
Just my crystal ball opinion.

As for layouts, we bought our van as newbies to the "modern" RV world. We had very limited experience and had little to go on except the anecdotal info we read on forums like this one, and some pricing info and technical specs we gleaned from other industry and model specific websites. So, we chose what we thought was a pretty decent class B at the time, and we have been pretty satisfied with it's performance over the last 4 years and 107,000 miles. Yes, it's not perfect, and doesn't have the bells and whistles of some newer models, nor does it have all the things we like to have when we travel. But that's the point to us. We bought it so we could take our hotel with us. To us it's largely the destinations, wherever they may be, not necessarily the vehicle, that makes the experience of RVing so special. So, if it gets us to where we want to go in relative comfort and economically when compared to other forms of travel, we're happy.
Yes, there are some things I wish it had that it doesn't, and there are some things it has that we'd get rid of because we never use them, but that's par for most people's course. Unless you get Sportsmobile to build you one, or start from scratch and do it yourself, you have to accept that there are going to be some things about most motorhomes you cannot change. Particularly on a budget. In answer to your question, I don't mind the fridge on the floor, and the microwave is above the galley counter, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't matter, as we don't use it much anyway. I'd rather have a "built into the existing electrical system" high capacity inverter, an extra (3rd) battery, and a full shower/toilet enclosure, but that's about it for comfort and functional stuff. And a bit beefier engine/drive train.
Some people buy these things, and they sit in the driveway. Or they tinker with them endlessly, to customize them, when they probably could have used the tinkering money to just buy something closer to what they wanted in the first place. We use our van, and it does what we want it to do, with very few exceptions. I understand your preference for the GWV (LT, too?) floor plan layout. Honestly, which side of the van the galley or toilet is on doesn't matter that much to us. As long as we don't get them confused in the middle of the night.
markopolo: I have kind of lost track of which thread this should go in, so please feel free to place it in it's appropriate spot. It has some Advanced RV in it, and some vague references to Roadtreks as well. I'll leave it up to you to parse it and decide. Or put it in both if you wish.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #98
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
.......................doesn't have the bells and whistles of some newer models, nor does it have all the things we like to have when we travel. But that's the point to us. We bought it so we could take our hotel with us. To us it's largely the destinations, wherever they may be, not necessarily the vehicle, that makes the experience of RVing so special..............

We stayed in the van last night with outside temperatures right at the freezing point. Just felt happy. Something about RV'ing just clicks with us.

I think I briefly awoke every time the propane furnace started but that was ok I knew it was still working!

I wonder how the all electric E-Trek will cope when not plugged in at freezing or below freezing?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #99
Platinum Member

I think I sleep better in my B than I do my Select Comfort Sleep Number bed in my home. I especially sleep well when the temperatures fall into the 30s. We don't sleep with the heat on. We use sleeping bags rated down to 25F, and out of habit in fear I may have to get out of bed in the middle of the night, I wear pajama bottoms and long sleeve thermal T shirts. If the temps project into freezing I might even put on sweat pants. Then I have the added comfort of a cat that insists on sleeping on my chest or log roll to my back if I roll over. That's something she doesn't do at home. At home when it gets cold she goes under the covers and rests her chin on my ankle. I've gotten so used to it that it doesn't bother me anymore.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #100
Platinum Member

I went to the California RV show in Pomona today (Saturday) and saw this rig but there was a fence around it.The sales man told me that it will completely revolutionize the RV industry with things like a 250 watt solar panel (oooooh). A big AGM battery (ahhhh). Electric Compressor fridge ( amazing ) big DC to AC inverter ( oh My ).I asked about the fuel cell generator and he seemed perplexed.I think what bugged me was that I went into a van that said it was an E-Trek on the window and was just the regular old Roadtrek.I asked why they did that and he told me something about it was the same model but since yesterday was the official unveiling they didn't want people going into it, but would allow me if I wished.I guess maybe I should have gone through it but I felt like I would be wasting his time and I wanted to look for other brands that weren't there.Hope I didn't let you down but it just seemed like stuff Sportsmobile has been doing for a while now but with bigger tanks.I really liked the Sportsmobile but the tanks are quite small compared to other brands but so is the price.Oh well can't win em all.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote