Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek E-Trek - Information update

The information on Roadtrek's E-trek package has been updated. I hadn't checked lately so I don't know when it was updated. The current info is consolidated in the "E-trek Operation FAQs" on their website.

Air conditioning runtime has been updated with:

Quote:
How long will the coach air conditioner run off of the batteries? Will it run all night while I am sleeping?

It depends on how hot the outside temperature is, how much charge the batteries have when you go to bed, and how cool you set the temperature in the coach.
and more thoroughly explained

Quote:
How long has the air conditioner ran off the batteries in testing?

In testing, we have run the air conditioner for 9 hours, when the outside temperature was 95 degrees F with 60% humidity (a normal day in some areas; adjust the results to suit your conditions). There were no other items on in the coach. This set of conditions allowed the compressor to cycle down normally and reduces power draw for 30-40 % of the time. Time will vary based on humidity, temperature, direct sunlight exposure and several other conditions. The batteries were at full charge to start these tests.
note: Nothing else was running, no fridge, no TV etc.

Charging the E-trek batteries has been clarified with:

Quote:
How long does it take to charge the batteries?

When running the inverter, a minimum battery charge will be preserved by a "power save" setting in the inverter that emits a small alarm telling you to charge the batteries. From the point of that alarm, assuming you are not running a lot of appliances at the same time, you can charge your batteries to the point that will allow you to return to normal usage in 30-40 minutes (do not stop charging at that point). If you run the batteries right down with the inverter off, you may need to charge them for up to 2 hours before you can return to normal use.
Re: idling - Don't forget the info I received from Sprinter Engineering Support in April of this year.

Quote:
Re: Sprinter Van - Extended Idling

Mark,

Per your request, with the SCR technology of our engines, we do not recommend idling a Sprinter for longer periods than 2.5 - 3 hours.
Even with the high idle engaged, you should not exceed the aforementioned times to avoid clogging the DPF or damages to the EGR valve.
Fyi, the fuel consumption is .4 - . 5gal. per hour of idling.
If air conditioner run time is a problem then my guess is that those customers will have a generator installed or maybe lithium batteries. I think the majority of customers will still be quite happy with their E-trek equipped units.

Check the Frequently Asked Questions page on Roadtrek's website for updates:
http://www.roadtrek.com/faq.aspx (select "E-trek Operation FAQs")
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote