Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 03:06 AM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
If I were buying today, I am not sure what I would do. With GWV and LTV both out of the B-van picture, the choices are very limited. I might be tempted to look to one of the custom upfitters. This is probably reflecting the fact that I am not a first-time purchaser, though.

We are looking for our first RV and the pickings are slim if you want something on the 144 Sprinter chassis (not going to go into that here but it works for us).

WGO only makes 24 feet, PW makes the Ascent but no swivel seats and old propane heat, expensive, etc... Custom takes 12-14 months and coordination so maybe our second RV? That leaves the Roadtrek Agile that has what we want (no propane, underhood generator, etc) but not in love with the driver side galley and concerned about quality. I really wish WGO would make the Adventure Concept Sprinter 4x4 but until then RT seems to be it if we want to be on the road by Spring 2017.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:11 AM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
We are looking for our first RV and the pickings are slim if you want something on the 144 Sprinter chassis (not going to go into that here but it works for us).

WGO only makes 24 feet, PW makes the Ascent but no swivel seats and old propane heat, expensive, etc... Custom takes 12-14 months and coordination so maybe our second RV? That leaves the Roadtrek Agile that has what we want (no propane, underhood generator, etc) but not in love with the driver side galley and concerned about quality. I really wish WGO would make the Adventure Concept Sprinter 4x4 but until then RT seems to be it if we want to be on the road by Spring 2017.
I totally agree that WGO should market their very nice short 4x4 Sprinter Adventure vehicle! It would help move North American RV industry out of the Middle Ages! Or maybe they are just not enough adventurous customers out there to justify that move!

We arrived to the same conclusion in 2014 and bought an Agile, but luckily were able to cancel our contract to buy a Safari Condo on the new Promaster. Couldn't be happier with all the space inside and the great pleasure of driving a Promaster. Said it before on that forum, the decisive moment was test driving the empty van for the first time.

Would have a hard time deciding today which camper to buy. Good luck with your project.

Don't know if it is true but they are rumours that Hymer will bring the Hymercar Short 4x4 Sprinter in North America. See: https://www.facebook.com/kampervanfu...64452260482188

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:17 AM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
Looks like they are making the link:

You are being redirected...

I'll try to grab a bunch of photos and maybe a video while I'm at the Hershey show.
Yes, I am totally amazed that even now part of the Hymer Group they still want to build that bizarre "Link". Maybe they designed it better. I have doubts. Looking forward for some pics from the show. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I totally agree that WGO should market their very nice short 4x4 Sprinter Adventure vehicle! It would help move North American RV industry out of the Middle Ages! Or maybe they are just not enough adventurous customers out there to justify that move!

We arrived to the same conclusion in 2014 and bought an Agile, but luckily were able to cancel our contract to buy a Safari Condo on the new Promaster. Couldn't be happier with all the space inside and the great pleasure of driving a Promaster. Said it before on that forum, the decisive moment was test driving the empty van for the first time.

Would have a hard time deciding today which camper to buy. Good luck with your project.

Don't know if it is true but they are rumours that Hymer will bring the Hymercar Short 4x4 Sprinter in North America. See: https://www.facebook.com/kampervanfu...64452260482188

I spoke with Hymer over email about that sprinter and they stated at this time they didn't have plans to bring that to north america.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
I spoke with Hymer over email about that sprinter and they stated at this time they didn't have plans to bring that to north america.
Thanks for verifying this info. So Motorhome Full Time was wrong about this claim.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Would be nice if Hymer would build this but again reminds me of the WGO Adventure concept. I would actually prefer if WGO made their version... good quality potentially for lower cost than a RT/Hymer build.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for verifying this info. So Motorhome Full Time was wrong about this claim.
I suspected that was the case, I don't see them ramping up the number of Hymer motorized products very quickly over here. I think they are taking their time bringing the new manufacturing facility up to speed which is good if it insures that the Hymer products will have the same quality as the ones built in Europe.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Well I went to hershey was underwhelmed at Roadtreks new offerings. I was really looking forward to the link with its 136in wheel base Promaster. However the fixed toilet area with VERY complex doors make it almost not worth using. I've seen much better implementations on this idea with the shower and toilet in one unit, saving more space. The shower is also electrical which also seems totally unnecessary as it's extremely slow to raise and lower (check out the video). However if you don't use the shower often (or at all) it provides a TON of counter space when the shower is in the closed position and loads of storage. However with the fixed bed in the rear and limited space up front, I can't see wanting to buy this RV.

You can spec it with a 200amp hour lithium battery, solar, volt start and underhood generator.

http://youtu.be/NaWovNqlR7Y
Old 09-17-2016, 10:46 PM   #69
Platinum Member

I wonder if they use customer feedback at all when creating new models... After reading many posts here and on the Sprinter forums I just don't see a real use case from people that seem into this small segment of RVing for the new complex Link with the rising shower and other decisions. Why waste the money developing that vs. something that might meet an actual need mentioned on forums such as this one.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:21 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
Would be nice if Hymer would build this but again reminds me of the WGO Adventure concept. I would actually prefer if WGO made their version... good quality potentially for lower cost than a RT/Hymer build.
I chatted with Russ Garfin at the Hershey Show. They are serious about the Adventure concept and he asked what I thought. Seems they are still getting customer feedback, but I got the impression we might see something soon (no timeline from Russ).
Old 09-18-2016, 12:18 AM   #71
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well I went to hershey was underwhelmed at Roadtreks new offerings. I was really looking forward to the link with its 136in wheel base Promaster. However the fixed toilet area with VERY complex doors make it almost not worth using. I've seen much better implementations on this idea with the shower and toilet in one unit, saving more space. The shower is also electrical which also seems totally unnecessary as it's extremely slow to raise and lower (check out the video). However if you don't use the shower often (or at all) it provides a TON of counter space when the shower is in the closed position and loads of storage. However with the fixed bed in the rear and limited space up front, I can't see wanting to buy this RV.

You can spec it with a 200amp hour lithium battery, solar, volt start and underhood generator.

http://youtu.be/NaWovNqlR7Y
Finally the missing LINK unveiled!
Thanks nebulight for this very thorough video report of the LINK.

It took a long time! I started the thread almost a year ago and we now have good pictures and specs about this curious little rig.

Not impressed with the overall design of the LINK. ...but I have to admit it's quite a fascinating contraption!

I did an album with screen captures of your excellent video:
https://www.facebook.com/kampervanfu...21816068079140

Old 09-18-2016, 12:34 AM   #72
Platinum Member

Nice pix, thanks. I can't believe they have the alternator hanging down there without even a splash shield.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:03 AM   #73
Platinum Member

I'll be surprised if the LINK makes it to production. The model on display at Hershey was still quite rough looking and the features in it are just plain odd.

The Simplicity was on display and that looks ready for prime time - but boy does it look cheap next to the Zion. All cheap, flimsy cabinetry. Most of the glass sides deleted and replaced with painted panels. Sticker said $76k MSRP.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:05 AM   #74
Platinum Member

Quote:
Finally the missing LINK unveiled!
Thanks nebulight for this very thorough video report of the LINK.

It took a long time! I started the thread almost a year ago and we now have good pictures and specs about this curious little rig.

Not impressed with the overall design of the LINK. ...but I have to admit it's quite a fascinating contraption!

I did an album with screen captures of your excellent video:
https://www.facebook.com/kampervanfu...21816068079140

I was told that installing that alternator requires changes to the automotive systems to the point that the RV manufacturer is required to crash test a van.

WGO isn't set up to do this, so they probably never will. Roadtrek says they crash test all their models, so I can only assume they did.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:16 AM   #75
Platinum Member

I wonder who the manufacturer of the alternator is. It looks to be a cast housing type, so it wouldn't be the typical Nations/DC Power units we are used to seeing. The cast units are often rewound factory units for more max amps, although they often lose low end amps that way.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #76

I thought Hymer was all about having space-efficient designs - definitely not the case with this shower - why not use the old aisle bath design from the Popular?
Billyboy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #77
Platinum Member

That picture is a Zion Link shower, not the Hymer Aktiv shower...

This thread has gotten confusing with Link info mixed with Hymer info...

Look here for Aktiv pictures...

http://www.gohymer.com/interior/
Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #78
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I was told that installing that alternator requires changes to the automotive systems to the point that the RV manufacturer is required to crash test a van.

WGO isn't set up to do this, so they probably never will. Roadtrek says they crash test all their models, so I can only assume they did.
Roadtrek is crash testing all it's models because of the very strict Canadian regulations. Our upfitter (Safari Condo) had to change it's acrylic windows to glass ones just before unveiling it's new ProMaster camper because it didn't meet Canadian automotive standards. They can use the European acrylic windows for trailers but not for vans.

-
Original acrylic awning windows used on the first prototype of the ProMaster XL Flex

They modified existing glass awning windows so that they can fully open.
Maybe that's why it takes so long for Hymer to unveil it's Canadian Aktive?

-
Safari Condo's modified glass awning windows. They are great! I do prefer glass windows. Acrylic tend to scratch easily and attract dust.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #79
Platinum Member

Interesting, the Hymer Aktiv appears to have double pane acrylic windows but will they sell them in Canada?
Old 09-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #80
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Interesting, the Hymer Aktiv appears to have double pane acrylic windows but will they sell them in Canada?
That's what I thought as well after seeing them in hershey. Also, the rear windows are also acrylic and hinge open the same way which is a no-no for the US market. I was told that they were going to add a screw to the hinge to lock them so they couldn't be opened, but that the user could remove the screw to allow them to open. Seems kinda fishy to me...

Though I must say the windows in the hymer were AWESOME. The entire window basically opens for much greater air flow.