Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #1

Default nitrogen in tires?

My mechanic, who has done some work on my 1990 Ford Falcon, suggested considering inflating the tires with nitrogen, especially for the long trip I have coming up from Minnesota to Florida. He said this is a recent trend that he has been watching and from what he can tell it does have some advantages - less loss of tire pressure, and some others which are escaping my mind right now. Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts.
Big Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Nitrogen is what aircraft use in their tires. It does prevent pressure loss and increase due to temperature changes. It's also very dry so you don't get moisture in the tires. I think the problem would be in finding a place that has it for your tires.

Nitrogen also costs money to generate so it might cost a little more to put in the tires. Nitrogen carts that generate it usually run on a diesle engine or powerfull electric motor. Again, cost to make or get bottled.

I work on aircraft so I can get all the nitrogen I need but still put air in my tires.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote