Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #1

Default oil warning light

Our 2006 leisure Van, Sprinter is (wintering) parked in our driveway on a slight incline, the rear of the RV being on the lower end of the driveway. I start it up every so often after plugging in the block heater for an hour and a half, especially after the weather warms up to about 25 to 30 degrees from sub-zero weather. The engine oil light stays on after the engine is running and never goes off. I don't run it for to long because I don't understand what is happening. I checked the oil level ( it looked low but the van was on an incline) and added a half quart of oil, but I don't want to overfill as this can be a detriment to the engine. Is it possible the van being on an incline is what is causing this condition. We drove the Van last summer about 900 miles without an oil problem. The engine starts up very soon after the glow plug sign goes off and the engine sounds good, there are no unusual noises. What do you think? orcam.
orcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: oil warning light

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcam
Our 2006 leisure Van, Sprinter is (wintering) parked in our driveway on a slight incline, the rear of the RV being on the lower end of the driveway. I start it up every so often after plugging in the block heater for an hour and a half, especially after the weather warms up to about 25 to 30 degrees from sub-zero weather. The engine oil light stays on after the engine is running and never goes off. I don't run it for to long because I don't understand what is happening. I checked the oil level ( it looked low but the van was on an incline) and added a half quart of oil, but I don't want to overfill as this can be a detriment to the engine. Is it possible the van being on an incline is what is causing this condition. We drove the Van last summer about 900 miles without an oil problem. The engine starts up very soon after the glow plug sign goes off and the engine sounds good, there are no unusual noises. What do you think? orcam.
Have you checked your manual to see what the light means? It could be pressure, high or low. Or it could be level, high or low. 4 possibilities. I would guess it is high or low level and do to the slope, and not much to worry about.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: oil warning light

I'd probably see about finding a level spot, then trying the dipstick again. If you have a Scanguage, I wonder if there are any codes thrown.

It is a good idea not to overfill it... if a diesel engine starts slurping engine oil, there is no way to shut it down other than taking a fire extinguisher full of CO2 and spraying it into the airbox.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote