Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Problem with Onan Starting

For a little over two months my RT sat idle; I couldn't get out to do the required exercise....you know the rest of the story!! I've run it down to just over a quarter tank and added a can of SeaFoam - will fire but not keep running. Today I finally got under it and removed the cover, air filter and sprayed Deep Creep (Sea Foam in a spray) into the opening - nah!! It would run a few seconds longer, but not there yet. I checked the choke and it is open (after sitting all night). If I hold the choke assembly it will run rapidly but then will die out.
Anybody have a suggestion on how to correct this sticking choke problem? I thought for sure the Deep Creep would loosen up any hang-ups. Thanks, Ron.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Problem with Onan Starting

Is there a solenoid threaded into the bottom of the carb bowl on the 2800's? My Onan 4000 has one. Simply removing and cleaning it fixed the same problem you describe on my 4000.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

I have better luck if I put in fresh gas then try it.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore
For a little over two months my RT sat idle; I couldn't get out to do the required exercise....you know the rest of the story!! I've run it down to just over a quarter tank and added a can of SeaFoam - will fire but not keep running. Today I finally got under it and removed the cover, air filter and sprayed Deep Creep (Sea Foam in a spray) into the opening - nah!! It would run a few seconds longer, but not there yet. I checked the choke and it is open (after sitting all night). If I hold the choke assembly it will run rapidly but then will die out.
Anybody have a suggestion on how to correct this sticking choke problem? I thought for sure the Deep Creep would loosen up any hang-ups. Thanks, Ron.

If you have only a quarter tank of fuel, you may not be getting gas to the generator. Not sure of your year, but on our 07 Chevy, the pickup is at about 1/4-1/3 tank of van fuel. Might just need to add some gas.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore
There should be a solenoid towards the front of the genset inside of the outer casing, about the size of a short
can of Red Bull. If you removed it and can see this solenoid, check that the wired connections are good to it.
When I had mine serviced last spring, the guy said it was the part of the system that, once the genset starts
to turn over, it switches the ignition source from the starting battery to the genset itself and "tells the genny to keep running" or something like that. One of the wires to it on mine, had corroded and come loose, and it wouldn't even turn over. It's on the side, near the front of the van, on the left side, if I remember correctly. He had to drop the genset
out of the van to get at it. Sorry about that.

Good luck Ron.
Here's a link to another "Onan" thread on here, and there's another "Onan" thread link inside it.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1594
Gensets are finnicky it seems.