Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2024, 10:24 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Running wire out of electrical bay of 2006RT190P

I have made a remote switch for my Tripp-Lite inverter control, and want to install it in the entertainment cabinet. There are already wires running into that cabinet for AC power and cable, as well as a red and green wire. I've half heartedly tried to run a 12ga wire in one of the back access holes with little success.

I'm fine running the cable along the corner of the refrigerator/van wall, then up into the holes near the rear of the cabinet. What I've not figured out is how to get the wires out of the electrical or water bay nearby. I see I can run the cable between the two bays if desired, but I have not been able to remove the bay cover to try and make a notch for the wire.

Notes, wire is reference to a ethernet cable, which is the connection from the inverter to the remote. Also, what I'm calling the electrical bay is the location under the passenger side bed which houses the Tripp-Lite inverter amongst other things. And the water bay is what I'm calling the location under the passenger side bed which houses the water pump and water heater.

I removed the 4 screws that hold the hinged water bay cover that doubles as the foot for the passenger side bed. It seems as though perhaps the cover is screwed and glued on? Before messing something up I was hoping to get feedback on if/how one removes this cover, or tips on running the wire through the back of the electrical bay to the entertainment cabinet through the wall.
sbslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 03:53 PM   #2
Gold Member

I did the same thing, I used a toggle switch and used velcro to stick it up in the corner next to the entertainment cabinet on a 2006 190P.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 04:06 PM   #3
Platinum Member

My old triplite (~2005) had a proprietary switch that was on either phone or CAT5.

Realize that your triplite may be a modified sine wave inverter (mine was) and modern electronics may not function. I changed to a pure sine wave inverter.

Also, be mindful that if you are running any wires behind your fridge and it is absorption type, when operating on propane it can be a source of carbon monoxide, so perforations between the space behind the fridge and the living space is unwise.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 06:03 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevon View Post
I did the same thing, I used a toggle switch and used velcro to stick it up in the corner next to the entertainment cabinet on a 2006 190P.
This is a good idea I had not considered. I want(ed) to run the wire outside the of the electronics bay and in the walls into the entertainment cabinet. But mounting outside over the bed isn't a bad idea either, possibly above the CO detector.

Still open to ideas regarding how to get wires inside the wall, and/or if the cover of the water heater bay removes easily or if indeed it is glued on as it seems.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2024, 06:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbslider View Post
Still open to ideas regarding how to get wires inside the wall,
I used a household fish tape to run some string behind walls. One place there is space is immediately above or below the side panel horizontal u-channel if it has one. I have a sprinter and there is open space behind the paneling/finish near the channel. I have made some access holes with cover plates to allow future access. When I pull a cable I also pull a spare string with it to allow for future needs.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 07:28 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
I used a household fish tape to run some string behind walls.
I have tried using some maybe 12 ga wire through some existing holes behind the entertainment cabinet, and it seems to not go far before it gets pretty difficult.

I do like the idea of pulling a string for future growth for sure.