Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sleeping Accommodations

There is a poll here that asks about bedding. Most seem to use traditional sheets and blankets, a few use the RV specific Travasaks and others use sleeping bags. We opted for the sleeping bags. We started out with our tent camping bags we had for years. They were heavy duty Coleman 5 lb. Holofil 42" x 81" sleeping bags. They were big and bulky and got in the way. We make up our bed every morning and roll up the bags and put the electric sofa up as we think the B is too small as it is for when we are up and about.

So we bought two new sleeping bags at Costco. This past spring it was the only bag they sold. The model was the Coleman Issaquah. The details are here at Amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G7SVSU

However, we paid $30 at Costco. Briefly they are 36" x 80" and have a zip out flannel liner that can be cleaned separately from the bag. They come with a stuff bag so can be put away compactly around 12" in diameter by about 16-18" long. They can be zipped together as one large bag. Side by side they fit in our Pleasure-Way Plateau electric sofa bed almost exactly. When stuffed they can be used as bolsters.

Here they are open for sleeping and then put away in stuff bags.

We use the sofa pillows under our bed pillow to bolster us when watching TV or reading a book. When the sofa is up I'll use the sleeping bag stuffed as a bolster under my arm.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

We also use sleeping bags. I put a flannel sheet inside of them so that I don't have to wash them quite as often. We use the all cotton sleeping bags though, 'cause I can't sleep in (or wear) synthetic fabrics. They're a little harder to wash and dry, but worth it to me for the comfort.

During the day the bags are rolled up with the sheet inside of them and used as a bolster across the back. We don't have an electric sofa. We normally leave the back in the U shaped formation during the day, and sleep on the twin bed type of set up, with the dogs in the space at the bottom of the U (or in the sleeping bag if it's cold). This gives us more room to move around and access the rear overhead cabinets. We've also found that the twin bed arrangement is more comfortable than the full size bed set up - less cracks and crevices that way.

The only complaint I have about our Plateau is that the bed really sucked. It's rock hard and not all that even. We added a 3 or 4 inch slab of memory form which greatly increased the comfort. The store where we purchased the foam cut it to exactly fit our bed pieces, then I made slip covers for each piece. The added benefit to having the foam in smaller pieces it that I can wash them in the bathtub, then roll them up to squeeze out the water. We put them outside in the sun to dry. It gives us a nice fresh bed whenever we want it (or after Chino spills a cup of coffee back there)
Old 06-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Rock hard beds are no problem for me. We have a Select Comfort Sleep Number bed at home and I set it at 100 wishing they had a 110+ setting.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
Gold Member

I must say our beds in the SMB are very comfy. We also use our Travasaks as bolsters during the day. Make for a comfortable back rest while reading or TV watching.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Silver Member

I also use a Coleman cotton/flannel "Boy Scout" bag I got at Walmart. It's rectangular, and just fits my pull-out sofa-bed. I have some Twin-size sheets, but they don't really fit well.

I'd sure like to get a memory foam matress. There's a Twin size one at Costco for 100 bucks.. ouch.

Chip
Old 06-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Sleeping Acommodations

We have a couple of old sleeping bags from Sears - really old and comfortable. The bed in our RT really become uncomfortable after three years, single or queen! We contacted The Original Mattress Factory and the plant in Richmond, VA made us two matteresses - they are super and 9" thick. Now with these and the old sleeping bags - life is good, again!! Ron
Old 06-22-2008, 01:47 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread Red
I also use a Coleman cotton/flannel "Boy Scout" bag I got at Walmart. It's rectangular, and just fits my pull-out sofa-bed. I have some Twin-size sheets, but they don't really fit well.

I'd sure like to get a memory foam matress. There's a Twin size one at Costco for 100 bucks.. ouch.

Chip
Check out Overstock.com, you might get a better deal. That's where we bought the one for our house bed. We only paid $156 for a California King size, so I would think a twin size would be less than half that price.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
Silver Member

I'll give Overstock a try, thanks!

Chip