Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2021, 09:45 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sumo Springs bumpstops for Chev 3500 front

I bought the SSF-204-47 for my Van

2006 Pleasure Way Lexor on a 2005 Chev Express 3500

First impressions are good, I was looking to reduce side to side motion, sway on turns and better manage the weight shift
I put Sumos on the rear a while ago.

The online selector doesn't list for earlier than 2007 Chev express and it took some communication with Mark Jutson thanks to themexicandoctor to get some measurements.

the only tools needed are 2 or 3 large screwdrivers and a large set of channel locks ( 16") or pliers, with jack and stands

the first side took about 40 minutes to figure out tools & method, the 2nd side took 15 minutes

raise front of van, place jackstands. parking brake and chock rears

for driver side turn steering wheel all the way right, you can lean past tire to get to bumpstop

push medium/large screwdriver up past bumpstop into mounting cup at the inside, then a large screwdriver beside it and lever the bumpstop out.
mine was # 15750835 measuring 2.4" diameter at the mounting ridge.

The cup has 4 tangs which are used to hold the bumpstop in place.
I used the channel locks to push back the 2 tangs at the rear and at outside of the cup

the Sumo is 2.51" diameter at the ridge, so larger but smushable

I was able to get the new bumpstop in place about 280º, with 80º to the outside not quite seated

with the van supported on the stands.

With my jack I lifted the lower A arm to get pressure on the bumpstop and then using dull screwdrivers (or similar) pushed and worked the mounting ridge into the cup.
Once in, use a screwdriver to push the 2 tangs back into position- when your screwdriver has made a 3/16" gap seems right.

job done

now repeat other side

when van is down on the ground eyeball that the bumpstops are fully seated before test drive

on return from test drive, I checked the tangs again

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote