Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2023, 02:21 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Ticks entered van either though roof vent or reefer exhaust

Ticks entered van either though roof vent or reefer exhaust, My roof fan is missing the bug screen.dam just thinking about ticks gives me the itch.

The reefer exhaust vents are large enough for the tick to crawl though havent even tryed to turn on frieg yet.
Back in Destin 2nd trip.
During packing at home (AL)I swatted a tick on inside of windshield. Few days previous
I swatted a tick inside driveway door . they crawl though the door jam.
Yesterday 2nd tick already inside van took flight landed on driver window he got swatted to.
So if there’s 2 there’s proballey more. Not staying in van basically using it for daily transportion.

I assume these ticks hitched a ride from AL haven’t yet sean a tick in Destin, Pan handle of FL has plently of bitting flies & insects
But ticks carry lime disease.

I thought ticks seek out the skroton and bit an attach themselfs, I do what appears to be spider bites hope I don't have the deadly lime desease. Should I set off a roach bomb inside van? Please advice thanks
Old 02-27-2023, 03:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBRAIN View Post
Yesterday 2nd tick already inside van took flight landed on driver window he got swatted to.

Ticks can't fly

Are you sure they are ticks?

You might see ticks on blades of grass or bushes reaching out for a ride and a drink. They are pretty good at riding on your clothing and can get inside that way.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Mike you are correct these insects are stink bugs not ticks they still left bit marks.thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stink bug.jpg (239.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-28-2023, 03:49 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Stink bugs don't bite. But they smell awful if you squash them.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 09:46 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Stink bugs are huge compared to ticks, though.

Could it have been Asian Lady Beetles? They are more tick sized and come insde whenever they can. We have huge amount of them at our house here in Minnesota. The also do nip but are not blood feeders like ticks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MulticoloredAsianLadyBeetlesOnAPenny.jpg (90.4 KB, 106 views)
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 02:49 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Stink bugs don't bite. But they smell awful if you squash them.
when it comes to squashing I've learned if you squash to hard the insides make a mess so I resort to tapping & stunning them throw them outside and then step on then finishing them off.
I put the 1st stink bug in a plastic bag before finishing it off so I didn't get a whiff, thanks for smell warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Stink bugs are huge compared to ticks, though.

Could it have been Asian Lady Beetles? They are more tick sized and come insde whenever they can. We have huge amount of them at our house here in Minnesota. The also do nip but are not blood feeders like ticks.

the stink bug was the size of a dime coin. yes we have have those red bugs in AL & yes they find their way inside house all the time I never squash them I've heard it's good luck to release them. referred to as lady bugs never had one fly on me an bite.

edit:Well that’s good to know that the stink bug doesn’t bite.
I know what mosquitoes an fire ants bites look like.

I think these bite marks maybe from bed bugs. Guess it’s time to vacuum the sofa and rear carpet. Remember I have zero history of my new van.
I currently feel Kindof like stupid ppl picking up discarded furniture a using it w/out thoughly cleaning. the carpet is clean as is the sofa I did buy a new sofa cover.

I’ll hang my new slip cover an bedding stuff in the sun I believe the suns rays kills the bed bug. Maybe I can aim the sun at the sofa until I fumigate the van.dam I have my pillow in guest room.

I did sleep in van last Friday & Saturday didn’t sleep much on Friday but Saturday got plently of sleep.

I’ve covered the bites w/ calamine lotion will take images next time I wash lotion off. Thanks for tips I'm a city boy not knowlegdable at all about bug bites. attached images is close to my bites.

definitely ordering a roof vent screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nd trip bug bites fleas.jpg (153.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd trip bug bites.jpg (168.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-28-2023, 08:30 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Asian Lady beetles are NOT lady bugs. They look similar, but are the nasty version of a lady bug and in fact kill and eat them. They are an invasive bug that is killing off our native lady bugs.

They invade houses and vehicles and cover the outside walls and windows along with the boxelder bugs. I finally found a good spray to kill them both. It is called BUGG... and you have to mix it... and spray the outside of the house... and windows... and steps... and garage door. Horrid creatures.

Stink bugs are famous for getting in through the Fantastic Fan
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:52 PM   #8
Silver Member

These aren't ticks.
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 12:40 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post

Stink bugs are famous for getting in through the Fantastic Fan
even w/ a bug screen? an fan on?

I washed the van earier today an have new bites. will post bite marks later
Old 03-01-2023, 12:45 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I'd hit the van with some kind of a bug bomb, and then after the time specified on the directions, open up all the windows and run all the fan(s) for quite some time (maybe a day or two). Then i would run the chassis HVAC for a bunch of time (maybe an hour?), again with all the windows open and the fan(s) on.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 02:09 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I'd hit the van with some kind of a bug bomb, and then after the time specified on the directions, open up all the windows and run all the fan(s) for quite some time (maybe a day or two). Then i would run the chassis HVAC for a bunch of time (maybe an hour?), again with all the windows open and the fan(s) on.
good plan.
I've read chemicals won't kill the bed bug, they need to be vacuumed up. they hide in the bedding seams.

I'd still like to fumigate when I get home next Sunday or Monday.

I've never used a roach bomb where would I purchase this insecticide?
more bites during washing the roof of van they start out real small after schracting sore gets larger.

edit: I have a handheld steamer I clean the bathroom w/ mite vacuum then steam the little devils then hang the slip cover in sun for a few days these vampires hate sun it kills them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nd trip bug bites new.jpg (69.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd trip bug bites new2.jpg (61.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-01-2023, 04:18 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
even w/ a bug screen? an fan on?

I washed the van earier today an have new bites. will post bite marks later
The stink bugs end up stuck between the screen and the fan... where they die. They don't bite though.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 03-03-2023, 02:10 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Update on bug bites. I believe these are bed bug bites bc of the three bite pattern.

I washed the stingers out of the wounds I think there needle they stick you w/ breakes off into the skin an that’s what causes the itch.
Now smearing cotozone 10%.

I’d like to enter the cold gulf saltwater however we have red tide so I don’t need flesh eating bacteria.

Weird thing is why didn’t I get bite during Christmas trip I stayed one night in van that’s when I left the red key on for 12 hours.
So where did bug come from.

Plan to steam carpet,sofa,front seats everywhere, wet vacuum harris bug dust poisin.

Good news is I preasure washed the remaining mold around the awning. Plan to wax when I get home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left arm bites.jpg (172.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg right arm bites.jpg (61.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg preasure washed roof.jpg (340.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg preasure washed roof2.jpg (285.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-03-2023, 02:27 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Update on bug bites. I believe these are bed bug bites bc of the three bite pattern.

I washed the stingers out of the wounds I think there needle they stick you w/ breakes off into the skin an that’s what causes the itch.
Now smearing cotozone 10%.

I’d like to enter the cold gulf saltwater however we have red tide so I don’t need flesh eating bacteria.

Weird thing is why didn’t I get bite during Christmas trip I stayed one night in van that’s when I left the red key on for 12 hours.
So where did bug come from.

Plan to steam carpet,sofa,front seats everywhere, wet vacuum harris bug dust poisin.

Good news is I preasure washed the remaining mold around the awning. Plan to wax when I get home.

From everything I have heard, bedbugs are notoriously hard to get rid off, even with throwing out the bed mattress and any other soft surfaces might hide in or under. I don't know if they still do it, but they will seal up rooms and heat them to crazy hot temp to kill them as the poison doesn't usually get them all. They will also hitch a ride home in your clothing or bags.

You might want to read up and look at pix to see what they and the bites look like and how to find them to confirm the guess that you have them.

You could be chasing ghosts if you don't have them.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 03:09 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
From everything I have heard, bedbugs are notoriously hard to get rid off, even with throwing out the bed mattress and any other soft surfaces might hide in or under. I don't know if they still do it, but they will seal up rooms and heat them to crazy hot temp to kill them as the poison doesn't usually get them all. They will also hitch a ride home in your clothing or bags.

You might want to read up and look at pix to see what they and the bites look like and how to find them to confirm the guess that you have them.

You could be chasing ghosts if you don't have them.
not 100% sure of what these bites are I'm just assuming their bed bugs.

the back yard here is thickly wooded about 100 yards it's a jungle back there alots of animals.
if not bed bugs it must be fleas maybe there where in the big bush next to van an they attacked me during the preasuring washing the roof.

I'll be reading up on how hot to heat van to kill whatevers in van but I don't know for sure if there in van or in yard.thanks
Old 03-03-2023, 04:05 PM   #16
Platinum Member

If they bit you on the roof... it is more likely fleas. The bites look like flea bites too. Bed bugs bite you at night in bed.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 03-03-2023, 08:01 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Update on bugs. I was walking though a parking lot earlier today, there was a Florida mosquito control truck surveying the area.*I waved them down told them they wheren’t sparying enoughthen showed the bits covering my arms. They said it was noseeum a tiny mosquitoe type biting insect Some ppl are allergic there saliva Very common in coastal FL. We are less than 100 feet from bay so there’s also swampy water this is where the devils live.*I must have inadvertently disturbed there hive or the bush* they where in during the preasurewash of vans roof.*Here’s a video explaining the devils. Washing w/ warm wateran soap has helped me a bunch.

the victom never knows there being bite untill the itching starts.

I'm still thoughly steam cleaning my vans interia.

*https://www.google.com/search?q=What...id:iSY6egIbnGw
Old 03-03-2023, 08:28 PM   #18
Platinum Member

https://www.amazon.com/BugMD-Essenti...985112823&th=1
Old 03-04-2023, 11:42 AM   #19
Platinum Member

First and only time we got attacked by noseeums, I changed out all the screens in the van.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 01:55 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
First and only time we got attacked by noseeums, I changed out all the screens in the van.
Did you notice a reduction in airfow with the noseeum screens?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote