Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2023, 03:53 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Dealing With Rust 2004 Sprinter

My 2004 Sprinter is developing significant rust along the bottom of the windshield and on the roof. Also, the roof leaks and is causing staining on the headliner above the front seats.

I will need to take it to a body shop to get the rust taken care of, but I'm concerned that there may be hidden rust on the inside of the roof.

Has anyone gone through this process?

All the RV bits work and the pre-DEF diesel drivetrain is still strong. I hate to buy a new van if I can avoid it.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:47 PM   #2
Site Team

What color is your van? In that era, rumor has it that the generic white Sprinters were very rust-prone, but that the premium paints were better.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:48 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
What color is your van? In that era, rumor has it that the generic white Sprinters were very rust-prone, but that the premium paints were better.
Kinda like Express Vans.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:59 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Yep, It's White

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Those days, MBZ's plan was that being a commercial vehicle, it would wear out before it rusted out. Not the case with an RV conversion, though.

New Sprinters are passenger vehicles first, and I would expect the paint to be first class.

Not ready to spring for a new one yet.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I recall that the topic of windshield rust was covered extensively in the T1N section of Sprinter Forum. You might look for pointers there.

We have a constant battle with roof lap welds on our 2006. The Sprinter body flexes just enough for paint seals to get broken. The secret is to not allow it to become too advanced.

We also have a few perforated areas on the side body (e.g., fresh water connection) where Airstream did insufficient sealing during installation of the appurtenances. Eventually we will have those areas cut out, patched, and refinished. No way around it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 07:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Thanks for the Sprinter Source link. I'll check it out.

Sounds like you're planning on keeping your Airstream for a long time, which is encouraging to me.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
We have a constant battle with roof lap welds on our 2006. The Sprinter body flexes just enough for paint seals to get broken. The secret is to not allow it to become too advanced.

We also have a few perforated areas on the side body (e.g., fresh water connection) where Airstream did insufficient sealing during installation of the appurtenances. Eventually we will have those areas cut out, patched, and refinished. No way around it.
Our Interstate (our first rig) was the same era as yours (2005). We never had roof rust problems (although we had plenty of rotten wood around the vent and AC.)

Your mention of "insufficient sealing" around the body penetrations caught my attention. If your is like ours was, you description is charitable. On ours, there was no sign that Airstream every did anything at all to the raw edges around any of their penetrations. It was the paint bubbles around the shore power socket and the water fill port that prompted us to move on. We loved the van and would likely have kept it a long time, but we saw what was coming and didn't want that kind of hassle.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:50 PM   #8

Default "The Best or Nothing at all"

I'm afraid, ALL Mercedes have serious rust problems.
Their commercial "The Best or Nothing at all" includes the best and fastest rust of all car manufacturers. 😥
kb1698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:28 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1698 View Post
I'm afraid, ALL Mercedes have serious rust problems.
Their commercial "The Best or Nothing at all" includes the best and fastest rust of all car manufacturers. 😥
That’s not my experience. My above comments about out T1N applied only to areas modified by Airstream. The untouched areas were fine when we sold it. Our current 2014 NCV3 is nearly pristine. Both hailed from salty Pennsylvania. I am no apologist for Mercedes, but as far as I can tell, they eventually got their act together wrt rust.