Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #1
Platinum Member

With full hook-ups you still can have long showers, even in B.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:15 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Maybe... however, you still have to empty the tanks often

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
With full hook-ups you still can have long showers, even in B.
George- there's no practical way for me to have a sewer hose attached at a campsite.... Not an easy gravity dump.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:26 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
George- there's no practical way for me to have a sewer hose attached at a campsite.... Not an easy gravity dump.

If you are saying that because you have a macerator, it is really a non issue. Grey tanks are usually in the 20 gallon range, so just hook up the hose to the sewer dump with and adapter, dump the tank, and take a shower of up to 20 gallons, which is a long shower. Dump the tank again and you are empty and done. No big deal at all.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:33 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Okay thanks... but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If you are saying that because you have a macerator, it is really a non issue. Grey tanks are usually in the 20 gallon range, so just hook up the hose to the sewer dump with and adapter, dump the tank, and take a shower of up to 20 gallons, which is a long shower. Dump the tank again and you are empty and done. No big deal at all.
It's just as easy to pull out the hose and manually dump the tank..... we're usually on the go too much to forget about the hose being attached..... would rather do it when we need to.

Now that the macerator pump and line is fixed...flows like Niagara falls...
Old 11-18-2018, 02:41 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sorry about that. For most folks with RVs it is reasonably practical, it was for me when we stayed on campsites with full hookup with previous RVs.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Navy showers, yes.

On the checklist issue, back when I was a newbie, this was the most functional alternative I could come up with. The problem with most checklists is that they are not interactive and tangible, so important steps can easily be omitted by accident. With this one, the required tasks are on magnets, and as they are completed, they are moved from the "red-stop" side to the "green-go" side. Only when everything has been migrated to "green-go" can the van be moved.

Of course, experienced vanners do this stuff in their heads. But for newbies, it can be very easy to forget things, so some kind of minder system is needed.

Instructions and checklist reviews in this blog post here. This sticks on the wall behind my driver's seat, not that I need it any longer.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Do you drive with your propane tank on or off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Navy showers, yes.

On the checklist issue, back when I was a newbie, this was the most functional alternative I could come up with. The problem with most checklists is that they are not interactive and tangible, so important steps can easily be omitted by accident. With this one, the required tasks are on magnets, and as they are completed, they are moved from the "red-stop" side to the "green-go" side. Only when everything has been migrated to "green-go" can the van be moved.

Of course, experienced vanners do this stuff in their heads. But for newbies, it can be very easy to forget things, so some kind of minder system is needed.

Instructions and checklist reviews in this blog post here. This sticks on the wall behind my driver's seat, not that I need it any longer.

Someone suggested to me that we run on the batteries while on the road.....as opposed to leaving the propane system on.....for safety reasons....

Your thoughts please...
Old 11-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Someone suggested to me that we run on the batteries while on the road.....as opposed to leaving the propane system on.....for safety reasons....

Your thoughts please...
We switched to a Vitrifrigo compressor fridge and we also installed a propane cut-off switch inside our van (in addition to the one mounted near the exterior fill port). So yes, at THIS point, our propane is "off" about 99% of the time because we are able to do that.

During those years when we were using a propane fridge, we always ran it on propane on the road. Our electrical system at that time could not handle the load represented by the fridge, and we routinely travel about 700 miles per day (with personal record being 904 miles). We never could leave the fridge off for 12+ hours a day of driving, so propane it was.

But yes, there are people who claim it to be unsafe to drive with propane flowing. For rigs that are "electrically-challenged", I'm not sure what they imagine the alternative to be.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #9
Platinum Member

We only take Navy showers, which do well. Not a lot of water used. We did not like the shower head that came with our Roadtrek. It would not shut off completely. Purchased as sink side sprayer, similar to this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-Ec...0346/204622659
Needed to purchase an adapter to put on the faucet to accept the sprayer hose. An added benefit of this sprayer is that the water comes out forceful enough to make a good rinse for the toilet, when needed.
If you loan out the RV, just know that no one will be as careful with it as you will. Any problems that develop will be fixed and paid for by you. Parking level enough for the adsorption refrigerator is an issue. Problems from not being level are additive and generally will not show up immediately.
Roadtreker357 is offline   Reply With Quote