Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default Tire chains; cable chains; etc?

We will be using our RV at times that may necessitate driving in snow and or icy conditions. While we appreciate that it may be best to just pull over and wait it out, we would like to have a set of chains / cables on the ready.

Everything I have read seems to suggest that tire chains are inherently better than cable chains and much better than some of the newer tire grip mechanisms.

Has anyone any experience with any specific tire chains; cable chains etc? Anyone have any experience with the Thule products?

Thanks.
sheral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:50 AM   #2

Go to your local tire store and have a long talk, once you decide, go you in the parking lot with them and practice putting them on and off a couple of times whenyou are not laying in the snow and your fingers are num. You may deside that the best tactic is to sit bad weather out. If you get chains, don't forget a chain tool, repair links and a couple extra cross chains. Also a broken chain can destroy the lower rear pannels on a van in short order, my wife told me she had the van out and it started to make a noise,but then it went away, I looked at it, there was nothing left for the chain to hit.
jeomelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
Silver Member

Thule chains are the best. Used for decades in Scandinavia. Google them.

They are awesome for the promaste especially.
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote