Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2022, 12:29 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Transmission Dipstick

Need a transmission dipstick for my 02 190. Trying to find a replacement having no luck. Plenty available for 03 and later. Would someone with this vintage mind measuring one from the top of the red handle to the tip so I can make some headway into this?

Thanks for any help

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Rock Auto shows them for a 2002 Chevy 3500 with 5.7 engine.

GM GENUINE 15020600
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I measured the dipstick on my 1999 170 (Dodge Van 2500 with the 5.2L engine). The metal stick itself is about 51 1/2 inches. It is about 54 inches from the tip to the top of the (yellow) handle. This is approximate because the dipstick is long and unwieldy - I can try for more precision if it is needed.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:51 PM   #4
Gold Member

Thanks guys - I checked Rock Auto- must have been searching incorrectly. That part number did the trick. I thought mine was fubar when I saw it all twisted up - because it was difficult to insert and remove.

www.roadtrek190.com
Old 06-03-2022, 07:29 PM   #5
Gold Member

FWIW - Pulled the transmission dipstick and it was difficult to remove. When I got it out it was all twisted up about half way up from the bottom. Figured that was not good and it got twisted from the continuous inserting and removing over the years so I straightened it out using a pair of pliers and vice grips. Took about an hour slowly moving from top to bottom.

Inserted it in after "fixing" it and it was worse than before. Figured I better get a new one and here it is - never saw one like this before. Moral of the story - don't fool with yer dipstick!

www.roadtrek190.com
Old 06-03-2022, 07:58 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
FWIW - Pulled the transmission dipstick and it was difficult to remove. When I got it out it was all twisted up about half way up from the bottom. Figured that was not good and it got twisted from the continuous inserting and removing over the years so I straightened it out using a pair of pliers and vice grips. Took about an hour slowly moving from top to bottom.

Inserted it in after "fixing" it and it was worse than before. Figured I better get a new one and here it is - never saw one like this before. Moral of the story - don't fool with yer dipstick!

I think they put a twist in them so that they can "spiral" into the long, convoluted tube. Ours turns quite a ways going in if you let it, which you should do as it will go in easy then. My Roadmaster wagon has similar.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote