Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2023, 12:58 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default TripMaker no longer available

I have used the Rand McNally Trip Maker in the past just to get a rough idea of a route to take, distance/travel time and what's close by the route as we go.
I just clicked on the saved url (https://tripmaker.randmcnally.com/) and found that it's no longer available.

Are there any free apps that any of you use/like?

Dave
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 01:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBad View Post
I have used the Rand McNally Trip Maker in the past just to get a rough idea of a route to take, distance/travel time and what's close by the route as we go.
I just clicked on the saved url (https://tripmaker.randmcnally.com/) and found that it's no longer available.

Are there any free apps that any of you use/like?

Dave

Are you looking for one that has all the POI for most everything on it, plus route planning? I think it will be tough to find a free one that has all that, but maybe someone else will know of one.

The RVlife one is bad, but not free, based on the short trial I got to use a year or two ago. I didn't like the route planner part as it was very tedious to transfer a route to the Garmin GPS unit.

I like to preplan our routes and now often with campground reservations because of the crowding in the place we want to go. I use Garmin Basecamp to plan the route itself because you can chose the exactly what roads to take and it will translate the same into the Garmin GPS. That is assuming nothing glitches like it did on our last trip, when Garmin decided to update the map in the GPS while we were on the road. It went back to some default settings, but the big issue was it changed all the non binding shaping points we had to destinations and totally recalculated all the routes in the GPS as well as any new ones we put in until we caught it.

I use a combination of Google and Allstays Pro to locate campgrounds and other POI and then just take the coordinates and put them into the Basecamp route for that leg of the trip. For POI, I just put them into the leg of the trip data area and can put them in or out of the actual route in a very short time.

Using the three sources is a bit of a pain, but not bad, and I haven't found a single source that can do all of the things as well as the three do together.

It is nice that the Basecamp maps and program live on the PC, so you can make and modify routes without an internet connection and that is a big deal sometimes.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:26 PM   #3

You might check out Furkot.com. There is a free version and only $14/year for a few extras.

A bit of a learning curve, but pretty powerful.
ldsharp is offline   Reply With Quote