Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2024, 04:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default water/leak coming out of the light?

OK, so it's unlikely that the light is leaking water.... but it is an RV sooo.
So, I'm thinking it maybe water coming in, following the lighting wires.This is the light aft of the hanging locker on the passerger side. RT chey 08 210
Yes, leaks are hard,very hard to trace but, i'm hoping someone has had this exact problem,and found the fix OR if someone knows where those wires come from or there routing. OR any other info you all think might be hepful
thanks ahead of time
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 03:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

My 2007 RT 210P is virtually identical to your 2008.

I went out in the garage and took a look at the roof. I would focus on four immeidate suspects.

On the roof just forward of the area you mention are three possible culprits: the fantastic fan, the vent from the bathroom and the sewer vent.

The bath vent and sewer vent are both on a pretty good slope to the right side of the van but could still cause some mischief. They both tend to trend water off that passenger side down onto the little gutter that goes the length of the awning.

The center mounted fantastic fan drains to both sides, forward and to the rear. It could be coming in through the caulking around that fan.

Finally, if it was me I would take a really close look at that gutter along the top of the awning. It actually drains a significant amount of the roof.

Easiest would be to check the caulking around the black vent and bath vent. They are easy to get to and easy to examine. Getting up to check the caulking around the fantastic fan is a bit tricky because of it's position in the center.

Our 2007 and your 2008 are getting a little long in the tooth and it would be pretty easy for a small problem in any of those four areas.

Just my thoughts.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:48 PM   #3
Gold Member

Haven’t had this exact situation but have had a couple of leaks over the years.

Any roof penetration could have failed caulking that may not be visually obvious but causes a leak. It may be time to strip and recaulk these areas.

If you have the elevating, rotating TV antenna there is a roof penetration that is not caulked. The rotating shaft is sealed with a rubber o-ring and should be lubricated at least twice yearly using only silicone lubricant.

Page 5
https://winegard.com/content/pdf/2452013.pdf
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote