Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 12:23 AM   #1

Default Wet dogs, wet boots, wet clothing

Still learning how to pack and fit 2 adults and 2 BIG dogs into our Pleasure-way Lexor Promaster. We travel a lot in Oregon and sometimes have days and days of rain. I'm looking for suggestions on where to put wet rain coats, wet boots, wet rain pants, and umbrellas to dry in a Class B motorhome. What do you do with all that wet stuff? Still haven't figured out where to put our 86 pound wet dog and his 65 pound canine companion either. Thanks!
lexortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:32 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wet dogs, wet boots, wet clothing

Well, it's as easy as water off a duck's back. (Pun intended) Some hangs on the steering wheel, some lies between the seats, some stays out under the canopy. The dogs go into your bed and you, I guess, are left out in the wet. But hey, you didn't ask where to put yourself.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:08 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I can't say how well it will work, but I have a plan. Just this weekend, I built into the ceiling of my PM self-build anchor points for hangers underneath the Maxxair fan. I envision an enclosure around the fan open top and bottom and touching the ceiling. Turn on the fan, air comes up through the enclosure and dries the clothing.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I'll be interested to hear how the fan drying system works. I guess wet clothing and RVing in lots of rain isn't much of a problem for most people. Thank you.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Most of the stuff we use outside doesn't absorb water so we just shake it out as good as we can and hang it under the awning. Dry it as best as you can with towels or whatever and put the boots and other things in garbage bags until you get to a place to dry them better.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Good idea re: awning. If you're new to RVing remember to tilt the awning (front to rear) so water doesn't pool in the center.

Wet shoes stay on a mat by the door. I can hang towels across the interior rear of the van on a rod if needed. Wet coats would go in bathroom. Can't help re: wet pets.

I had booked into a park for a week once. Constant rain when we got there and forecast was more rain so we left and hit the road after just a couple days The van was too small for a whole week of rain.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
Bronze Member

RV'd with three dogs where it rained all week not too long ago. I keep a stack of dog towels with me. Dogs come in and stop on the first big towel and get rubbed down and dried off with another towel. Our wet coats and towels got hung in the bathroom. Our shoes went into the boot tray inside the door behind the passenger seat. YMMV.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Markopolo has it nailed. If it is constantly raining, I'd highly consider finding a hotel that is pet friendly, just for space to move around, dry off wet clothing, and so on.

For fewer people, I wonder if a fold-up wooden clothes dryer over /near a furnace vent might be doable. Some more open floor plans, this can be done, others, it would be impossible.

Of course, there is always putting clothes in a hanger in the bathroom, and aiming a Vornado or heater-fan at them.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:44 AM   #9
Lou
Platinum Member

I posted a reply a couple of days ago but it vanished so I guess I did something wrong.
We live in Vancouver BC, also on the wet coast, and we did miss being able to hang wet clothes in the shower. In our B where we put wet raingear depends on what we are doing.
We use hooks to hang wet coats above the stairwell. If we are going to be using the back of the van (mealtime etc) we hang them on hangers on a rod we put across the RV above the driver and passenger seats (also good for drying hand washed laundry overnight). Coats can hang between the seats and have a bit more space than over the stairs. If there are coats in the stairwell, wet boots have to go on a mat between the seats or in the bathroom which is inconvenient, but safer.
If it is only one wet coat, I dry off the hood with a towel and hang it by its hood, over the back of the passenger seat.
If we are driving, we hang wet coats on a bungee between 2 hooks below the cabinets on either end of the bed on the driver's side (they don't block view out rear window).
Sometimes I wish it didn't rain so much here but on the other hand, my husband photographed 25 different kinds of flowers blooming in our garden this past week.
I can't imagine fitting two dry dogs in a class B never mind two wet ones so can't help with that.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #10
Silver Member

I second going into a hotel if there is constant rain. We are HUGE fans of American Xpress Starwood credit card and program. Great points for Sheraton's, Westins which are all over the place and most allow dogs. Another reason we love having a smaller RV, we can break up a longer trip and go into one of them for a day or two. Have also gotten many free nights being Starwood members. Other than that we hang our wet items in the bathroom. I know the Era 70X has a rod the length of the wet bath.
cjscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I have a dog, but haven't found a solution for that, yet.
With shoes, I use cheap shower caps from the Dollar Store.

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #12

Thanks to everyone who replied about where to put wet gear in a Class B. Very useful suggestions. We are waiting for all the snow to melt here at home before we head out.