Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Where to go ?

My wife and I live in Maryland and have a campground membership in Frint Royal Virginia. We would like to just sort of hit the road sometimes and see where we wind up. However, I have always worried about finding a spot or campground at night. Is it a must to plan your trip and not just head out to see the land?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Where to go ?

Depends on what amenities you desire when you stop overnight.
If water/electric/sewer/showers are a must, you need to do more planning than if you decide
you can do a day here or there without. Many RVers choose to do without the comforts and
"boondock" or "dry camp" in places like big box store parking lots. If you use the forum search
facility and use boondock as your keyword, there are a few threads on here which discuss the
pros and cons of this inexpensive method of overnight stops.
Another reasonably reliable method of getting a campsite is to use NPS locations. They are
usually open all year round, many have camping (few have individual site amenities, though),
you can get an annual pass ($80/yr) which gets you into almost all of them, and many have a
drop box honor system of campsite acquisition which you can do 7/24 for between $15-$20/night.
Some NPS parks have small general stores and some have showers and dump stations which
may or may not be open seasonally. That part is location dependent.
We prefer this system of seeing the country, to planning our stops at commercial campgrounds.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Silver Member

We just take off and go many times with no set plans. Here is a website that can also help. It lists free and also relatively low cost places to stay, and gives additional information on the spots. Hope this is of some help. http://www.freecampgrounds.com/
FMCA #376666
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We have to go along with Steve & Chris, just take off, all roads lead there!!! We love to travel the back roads, see the small towns, etc. You have your house with you, and you will find a place to pull in for the night - what a great feeling of freedom. Happy New Years and Safe Travels. Ron
Old 01-01-2010, 02:49 AM   #5
Joe
Platinum Member

I am going to retire in 2010. Guess I have been planning things at work and home life for far to long. The head out and see where you land sounds fun and the freedom must be great!!! Thanks to all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Silver Member

Hi Joe,
We have been traveling through out the USA and Canada- have never booked a campground ahead of time. We go to Flying J's, TA stops, State parks, and National Parks. Some folks stay in Wamart parking lots. But, you have to be careful there, many of them won't let you stay there since others have ruined it by putting out awnings, etc. We do go to campgrounds, mostly just pull right in. You do have to be aware of the time of year you are traveling. Campgrounds tend to get full around the holidays.
There is a campground book put out by Good Sam which lists campgrounds, forest areas, parks etc, and they rate them on cleanliness, etc. Woodalls also has a book.
Hope this is of some help
2003 FORD EXCEL-RD (#3)
HAVE PLEASURE-WAY, WILL TRAVEL!
Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #7
Joe
Platinum Member

I am a member of the Good Sams Club but have not used the web sit yet. I will try same and get the Woodalls book. I looked at one in a camping store and it was full of info and had a DVD if I remember correctly. Thanks to all.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
Platinum Member

You're in the east, so why don't you have a look at the B7 rally as an unplanned, unreserved campsite, "pot luck" road trip?
It's in May, and they're campground is booked up now, but there might be other accomodations in the area,
either commercial or boondock style. Just to get your feet wet in the "get in and go" type of trip.
Might be worth a look?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1350&p=5624#p5624
Old 01-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I've travelled for 35 years WITHOUT RESERVATIONS. There is always somewhere to stay...... only time I ever had a 'problem' was riding home from Mexico last November on my motorcycle.... I got into Idaho Falls, there was something going on and all cheap motels were full. Only vacancies I found were $125.+ Too cold and tired to camp, getting dark.... I looked at map- 3 towns to Monida Pass...... first 2 towns had nothing,now it's 10pm..... but the 3rd and last one had 3 motels-- I picked the one furthest off the Interstate (for quiet) $27.00--right out of 1953..... but a good heater and hot shower. So---there's always somewhere. Even better, next morning I looked at my map, found a blue road never traveled....took it and it was spectacular. Just go. With the rig, you can sleep anywhere..... Reservations will only cramp your style! And..... another word of advice: don't set an alarm....learn to sleep in. Sometimes I sleep 9 hours in my van--now that's a vacation! :>)
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Platinum Member

That's a great example of "In God we trust".
Like you say, there's always alternatives, if you're willing to take a chance.
A new adventure may be just around the corner.
Sleeping in is good unless you get charged for another night in the motel.
Don't miss check out time!!!