Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 12:12 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Didn't ARV have a video of some performance tests they ran between the four and six cylinder engines? I think it was up some hill near their factory, so not high altitude or mountains, but maybe relevant.
Here they are:

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:26 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Thank you........

Here's some information from Kelly Blue Book.....the 2014 Sprinter......

Unlike its competitors, the 2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter is available only with diesel engines. Standard is a new 2.1-liter turbodiesel mated to a new 7-speed automatic transmission. The larger 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 coupled with a smooth-shifting 5-speed automatic deliver a more satisfying mix of power, efficiency and refinement. While the rear-wheel-drive platform provides ample traction in most driving conditions, those who frequently encounter extreme weather might express a preference for an all-wheel-drive-equipped Chevrolet Express or GMC Savana.

2.1-liter turbodiesel inline-4
161 horsepower @ 3,800
265 lb-ft of torque @ 1,400-2,400 rpm
EPA city/highway fuel economy: NA

3.0-liter turbodiesel V6
188 horsepower @ 3,800 rpm
325 lb-ft of torque @ 1,400-2,400 rpm
EPA city/highway fuel economy: NA

I can imagine that the Mercedes Benz 2.1 FOUR is a little "short of breath" at passing especially between 55 and 75 MPH...

What do you think? Maybe I'm wrong???
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:01 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post

I can imagine that the Mercedes Benz 2.1 FOUR is a little "short of breath" at passing especially between 55 and 75 MPH...

What do you think? Maybe I'm wrong???
Did you even watch the videos? They show the acceleration from 0-30 to be about the same, while from 30-60 the I4 takes much longer. And yet owners of the 4 cylinder seem satisfied. So it's not always discernible "by the numbers". If you can't tell from that, you've already been given good advice to go check them out for yourself.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:56 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Rhetorical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Did you even watch the videos? They show the acceleration from 0-30 to be about the same, while from 30-60 the I4 takes much longer. And yet owners of the 4 cylinder seem satisfied. So it's not always discernible "by the numbers". If you can't tell from that, you've already been given good advice to go check them out for yourself.
I know that the SIX CYLINDER is markedly faster especially as the speed increases....

Listen, I certainly appreciate that there's many very competent FOURS out there... I have a 2.5 FOUR in my Subaru Outback, but, it's not almost 10,000 pounds....

There's no way I would recommend a FOUR in the Mercedes Benz Sprinter.... would only consider as an " in town" vehicle....
Old 08-29-2018, 02:05 AM   #5
Platinum Member

There, that wasn't hard.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:30 AM   #6
Platinum Member

With the acceleration off the line similar, I can see that many people would be OK with four cylinder, as in an RV the acceleration from 40-75mph isn't as important and rarely run at full throttle anyway. In reality, I think I would ask how often does anyone driving a 10K# van pass anyone on a two lane road where that acceleration area would be needed. It really doesn't matter on a four lane. As long as it gets to speed and will hold it, even if it gets there slower, is what is important to most of us, as that is what counts climbing long grades.

It is just like arguing gas or diesel. There is no set answer, just opinions, and they can design a four cylinder that would romp on a V6 if they want to, just like they can design a gas engine to perform like a diesel. Generalities just don't fit these situations, and they only do fit personal biases.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:25 AM   #7
Silver Member

Well after actually owning both I can say without a doubt the I4 7speed is the better overall power train. Has you mechanic owned both ??. I doubt it.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:29 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Default My mechanic... have known over 20 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Well after actually owning both I can say without a doubt the I4 7speed is the better overall power train. Has you mechanic owned both ??. I doubt it.
Hmm, I wonder , do you think he has some knowledge about vehicles; he's a professional and been extensively trained..
Old 08-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder , do you think he has some knowledge about vehicles; he's a professional and been extensively trained..

From what I have seen in the shops around here, there are very few highly capable mechanics around, and beside, being able to repair problems with vehicles really has nearly nothing to do with making someone more reliable a source for opinions about well they drive, as that is totally subjective.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Once in awhile, there are some posts that have me laughing. i'm not sure if I should say thanks.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote