Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2023, 05:32 AM   #1

Default 1995 VW Rialta shifter wont go back towards P

1995 VW Riata new to me
228000 miles on the Odo. 2.5L % cyl engine Auto 4 speeds transmission.

Bought it at an auction, and on the way home the ranny gave up, towed home.
Then realized there was a big leak at the main (input) seal. Dropped the tranny, (big undertaken) changed all seals, and installed a new external cooler to it.

Now after fixing a bunch of small things while putting the transmission back in I have been running into shifting issues. I am at a loss with this last one tho.

All the work is done except for this issue that prevents me from starting or test-driving the unit. The shifter in the cabin pulls all the gear from P to 1 but won't go back towards the P position, once in 1st it stays there until I go to the transmission by hand and shift back. Not super sure is reaching Park either, I'll double-check tomorrow. with the cable disengaged.

The clip in the mid bracket that holds the cable is there fine, I pulled the bracket off; seated it right, and reinstalled it. Then from this bracket, there is the cable and a soft spring coiled around it, it just does not make sense that this spring only would push back the transmission shifting lever, I think I might have misplaced another spring somewhere.

In anycase any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Serialtagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:56 AM   #2

OK, I sorted it out.

For some reason, the shifting cable went out of adjustment during the transmission job.
So when I put the transmission by hand to the park position on the level on top of the tranny itself and tried to get the cable to reach it there but it wouldn't.
The whole shifting was off by some 3-4mm. no-bueno. So I realized there is some adjustment to be made.

Went into the cabin and removed the shifter assembly (one Allen 3mm bolt for the knob and 3 Phillips screws holding the bottom plastic to the floor, careful with the light it clips out of there it is by pulling it sideways) then there is a retaining bolt holding the rod at the end of the shifting cable on the passenger side of the shifting level, 13mm to lose it, then pull the cable on the tranny side to match the tranny shifter lever at the P (furthest position) and engage the circlip to keep it in place, went back in the cabin and snug the retaining bolt back against the rod. cleaned and lubed everything in there and so far the shifting is spot on no prob, back and forth.

Sweet!
Old 12-04-2023, 01:57 AM   #3

Hi again,

Just to be clear you need to hold the 16mm nut (it is part of the part that holds the rod in there tight against the bolt, not an independent nut with its dedicated thread, etc.

This 16 mm nut allows you to not pass any torque into the rod itself while torquing the retaining bolt while keeping the rod aligned with the cable and avoiding bending it or braking it.

How did I learn that? the hard way: I just came from breaking this rod due to failure to hold that nut in place while torquing the retaining bolt, so now I am in search for a new cable, Brick wall

Also, I think I found the real culprit for my problem:

I think what was going on in my shifting problems. ( shifter going fine from P to 1st but not the other way around) I believe this was the original cable and it had lengthened to the point of needing adjustment a long time ago, and while maybe it was kinda within specs or so it was still shifting but not ideally and crisp, and in the unknown side of things it was moving the sheath enough in and out of the cable end metal part towards the shifter lever in the cabin, ending at some point dislodging the crimp or the proper seating of these two parts. Then eventually being a little too long for the sheath length it would start pushing into the bend of the cable and pulling the sheath out of that end piece and when coming back in the other direction it would get hung by its longitudinal threads on the metal end piece creating a spacer like effect. Then the gears would go out of wack. The main thing is that the sheath should not be able to slip off inside the end pieces in any of the ends of it. That's what I think happened, then even when I adjusted it to the right length the crimped end of the cable was already too loose and the sheath would still keep coming out when the shifting lever was pushed towards the P position and not perform its function. And giving me this problem...

If someone would be so kind as to provide me with this cable part number for a 1995 VW Rialta (Eurovan/T4) Automatic 4-speed transmission, I would appreciate it very much.
Also, if possible, the part number for the circ-clip at the end of the cable attaching it to the gear selector on the transmission side, this part decided to flight away and can not be found...

Thanks, and forgive my rockiness,

Sergio
Old 12-07-2023, 08:13 PM   #4
otr
Gold Member

Damn impressed with what you have done with the vehicle!!!!!
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 02:57 PM   #5

Thank you OTR, its been a long saga to get this done with including other things along the way.

BTW VW has not carried this part since 2021 (part number: 701 713 265 a) so anyone who has any issues with this cable can sort out an aftermarket part at any of these websites:

https://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/se...=701+713+265+a

https://www.busdepot.com/701713265a.

Safe travels everyone!

Sergio
1995 22QD