Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2021, 06:46 PM   #1

Default 4x4 Conversion + 3" lift on 2012 Chevy Roadtrek

I thought I'd share some pics from my recent 4x4 conversion with 3" lift on my 2012 Chevy Roadtrek Popular 190.

This was done by Advanced 4x4 in Salt Lake City using mostly chevy Silverado 4x4 parts. They do them on brand new Chevy Express vans for fleets and this is the identical conversion as done on new.

I also added Bilstein shocks and rear Sumo springs. It drives incredibly nice, better than stock.

Next up I'd like to upsize from 245 to 265 tires, and in researching it looks like I'll need Chevy Silverado 17" steel wheels. The bigger tires might give it another 0.75" of clearance.

Conversion includes:
- GM 9.25” IFS Front Differential 1
- Heavy Duty 2 Speed HI-LO Transfer Case
- Shift on the Fly 4×4 Front Engagement System
- Spicer Front and Rear Drivelines
- Heavy Duty GM Torsion Bar Front Suspension
- In-dash 4X4 Indicator Light
- Maintains Factory GM Stabilitrak and ABS Systems

Options
- 3 Inch Lift
- Bilsein shocks
- Sumo springs

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7090 2.jpg (282.8 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7121.jpg (224.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7122.jpg (186.8 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7125.jpg (223.0 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7126.jpg (334.8 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7128.jpg (234.5 KB, 164 views)
Bravelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
Silver Member

Looks good. Now you need some AT tires and some under body armor. While the lift helps, still lots of vulnerable stuff underneath.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:52 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

And maybe some of those cool video cameras that Show whether you're about to smash up your underside. I sure could use some about as much as any B out there.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:39 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravelion View Post
I thought I'd share some pics from my recent 4x4 conversion with 3" lift on my 2012 Chevy Roadtrek Popular 190.
Look good. And all your parts references will help others considering the same mods.

All the class b cladding and underneath additions really take a toll on road clearance. Not to mention the spring sag from the extra weight.

I'm surprised the manufacturers never offered a "lift" option. Especially considering it mainly restores the suspension to closer to OEM.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:09 AM   #5
Silver Member

Hi Bravelion, What are your wheel well measurements on a level surface from the ground up thru the center of the wheel to the wheel well lip on all 4 corners? I have a 2006 Versatile 190 4X4 installed new by Quigley. Mine are 36 ½” front and 37” and 37 ¼” rear with full water tanks and fuel. Just curious with your being a new install.
55 Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:53 PM   #6

Hi Bravelion... can you give me a ballpark price for what Advanced 4x4 charged to do the conversion? I've already upgraded to Bilsteins, SumoSprings and front coil spacers which gave me a 2" lift all around and greatly improved handling, but 4WD is enticing.
jamesv999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:24 PM   #7

That looks really good! You’ll probably recoup much of your costs at resale. As others have asked what was your cost? Also consider a little bit of skid plating especially near the oil pan, transmission pan, and possibly the tank drains. FYI Truckcamperadventure has a really good write up in tires.
bblakersfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #8

Congratulations on a nice upfit. The job looks 100% OEM caliber.
The handling improvement itself must have made it work it. How much did it run total? Do they refurb the parts used before installing or are they new parts?

Note All Terrain tires tend to generate more road noise so may want to take that into consideration as you weigh the options.

Congratulations on the move to modify and the results there of. ENJOY. UT has so many great places to explore, its simply amazing and beautiful.
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:45 PM   #9

I too would be interested in the ground clearance from the fender lip above the tires to the ground on all 4 tires. I also have the Quigley conversion. THANKS
daytonabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:05 PM   #10

@Bravelion: Just realized that your location is in TX and the upfit was in UT WOW. How did you manage that?

Again Congratulations on a great upfit. The roads in TX seem to generate more road noise via tires than in most other states, wonder why they choose such a noisy road surface finish. In PA and OH there are roads which are tuned to create music as you drive down the road! Totally amazing. Guess the thundering long horn noise is near and dear to the Cowboy soul of TX!
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote