Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2017, 12:18 AM   #21
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i thought only the K has 2-at least the original was like this
The first model year Travato had 1 AGM house battery.

All subsequent model years had 2x 105 AH AGM house batteries
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:46 AM   #22
Platinum Member

I've used my Cpap in our Roadtrek RS for some time off the house batteries. My Cpap is native 12v so I usually use a 12 v plug. But for a while I had to run off the inverter when I had some problems with the 12v cord I have. The good news is that either way the 220 ah batteries have always easily handled the load overnight while running the refrigerator too.

There is no need to upgrade to lithium batteries for a Cpap!

I do not have first hand experience with the Travato, but it is hard to believe there isn't a 12v plug in the coach somewhere. But if there isn't, just buy an extension cord.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
I've used my Cpap in our Roadtrek RS for some time off the house batteries. My Cpap is native 12v so I usually use a 12 v plug. But for a while I had to run off the inverter when I had some problems with the 12v cord I have. The good news is that either way the 220 ah batteries have always easily handled the load overnight while running the refrigerator too.

There is no need to upgrade to lithium batteries for a Cpap!

I do not have first hand experience with the Travato, but it is hard to believe there isn't a 12v plug in the coach somewhere. But if there isn't, just buy an extension cord.

Our test with the Kill-A-Watt showed my machine used about .3 kwh even with the heated hose and humidifier going over 8 hours 55 minutes of use, so power draw clearly won't be an issue. However, we will have to install a 12v receptacle in the back to run off the house batteries as the only 12v receptacle in the entire coach is in the cab and only works when the engine is on. Or, that is my current understanding. We pick up the van on Thursday. Until then, it's all theory.
knmtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by knmtravel View Post
the only 12v receptacle in the entire coach is in the cab and only works when the engine is on. Or, that is my current understanding.
That would be awfully 20th century of them. I'd be kind of surprised if there weren't some 12VDC receptacles driven by the house battery somewhere back there.

If you DO end up having to install your own, I recommend also thinking through where you are going to power and charge your cell phones while sleeping. Do you use them as an alarm clock, for example? Having several convenience 12VDC/USB outlets is nearly essential these days.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:55 AM   #25
Platinum Member

don't you have a 12 volt tv? it must be plugged into a 12 volt outlet
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #26
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
That would be awfully 20th century of them. I'd be kind of surprised if there weren't some 12VDC receptacles driven by the house battery somewhere back there.

If you DO end up having to install your own, I recommend also thinking through where you are going to power and charge your cell phones while sleeping. Do you use them as an alarm clock, for example? Having several convenience 12VDC/USB outlets is nearly essential these days.
There are quite a few USB ports throughout the coach, including in the sleeping area.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #27
Bronze Member

Quote:
don't you have a 12 volt tv? it must be plugged into a 12 volt outlet
If that is the case, sure that would serve on a temporary basis but an outlet in the sleeping area would be preferable since we plan to live in our van full-time.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
If that is the case, sure that would serve on a temporary basis but an outlet in the sleeping area would be preferable since we plan to live in our van full-time.
I have a 10 foot 12 volt extension cord-amazon has different lengths that are even longer and
i already have 7 12 volt outlets in my zion

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #29
BBQ
Platinum Member

For the exact locations and the number of USB/cigarette ports in a 59G,
the best place to ask this question is at their FB group.
They are the owners, they know best.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
There are quite a few USB ports throughout the coach, including in the sleeping area.
Converting a USB port to a cigarette lighter outlet is usually very easy. Indeed, many USB outlets are just cig outlets with an adaptor plugged into it.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Converting a USB port to a cigarette lighter outlet is usually very easy. Indeed, many USB outlets are just cig outlets with an adaptor plugged into it.
Avanti-aren't usb ports limited to 2.5 amps though or can you get full 10 amps out of it
Old 03-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Avanti-aren't usb ports limited to 2.5 amps though or can you get full 10 amps out of it
Yes, USB is limited current-wize. But I didn't mean to take the power through the USB port, I meant removing the USB port and replacing it with a cigarette lighter receptacle (if there isn't one there already). You would have to make sure the wiring is adequate, but it very likely is.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:36 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
USB ports are generally limited to 2.5 amps or less, but it's also at lower voltage (5V DC) which limits totals power to 12.5 watts or less.

Most 12V charging sockets can supply 15 amps for a total power capability of 180 watts, about 15 times the power available from the USB port.

There's a newer USB 3.1 standard that theoretically can deliver up to 100 watts, although I haven't seen any USB 3.1 panel plugs that deliver on this capability.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #34
Bronze Member

So, now that we have the van at home, the final answer on where the 12v outlets are located is that there ARE, in fact, two 12v outlets in the rear. One is conveniently located inside the cabinet above the bed and one behind the bathroom wall by the rear passenger door. I'm not sure why all the reviews I found claimed there were no 12v outlets in the rear except that they were on older models. Perhaps this is a new feature for the 2017 model? Will give it a test this weekend now that we have the van and see how it goes.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
So, now that we have the van at home, the final answer on where the 12v outlets are located is that there ARE, in fact, two 12v outlets in the rear. One is conveniently located inside the cabinet above the bed and one behind the bathroom wall by the rear passenger door. I'm not sure why all the reviews I found claimed there were no 12v outlets in the rear except that they were on older models. Perhaps this is a new feature for the 2017 model? Will give it a test this weekend now that we have the van and see how it goes.
the one near the rear passenger door may be the promasters rear 12 volt outlet. my zion has one in dash and one right near the rear passenger door. these outlets are only live when engine is turned on
Old 03-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #36
Bronze Member

And it turns out we were wrong. What appears to be a 12v outlet in the cabinet is a cleverly disguised pair of USB ports under a 12v outlet cover. The clearance between the door and the bathroom wall is not enough for the plug even if it was live. So we're back to plan A which is to add a 12v outlet back there.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:15 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
And it turns out we were wrong. What appears to be a 12v outlet in the cabinet is a cleverly disguised pair of USB ports under a 12v outlet cover. The clearance between the door and the bathroom wall is not enough for the plug even if it was live. So we're back to plan A which is to add a 12v outlet back there.
Look carefully at those round USB outlets. Very often they are actually lighter sockets with USB adaptors plugged into them, like this:

And, in any event, that fixture is certainly being fed by a 12VDC circuit--good place to get power for your new outlet.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:13 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
i said this before. doesn;t travato have a 12 volt TV. it must go into a 12 volt socket. follow your tv wiring. see if it's plugged into a 12 volt socket
Old 03-31-2017, 05:15 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
the one near the rear passenger door may be the promasters rear 12 volt outlet. my zion has one in dash and one right near the rear passenger door. these outlets are only live when engine is turned on
just because mine is inactive when engine off doesn't mean yours is. check it to see

1. if it is actually the vans and not winnebego installed
Old 03-31-2017, 05:20 PM   #40
BBQ
Platinum Member

Also, just because the outlet is active when the key is off
does not mean that the it is connected to the house battery.

You need to double check and triple check to be sure.

Tags
cpap, travato