Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 01:00 AM   #1

Default 2002 leisure travel vs 2002 pleasure way

What are yhe main differences. Hubby and i are looking to purchase a used motor home class b, 2000 to about 2004, wide body. Given up on our Rialta .
So what can you guys tell me about them, storage, bathrooms, etc.
Thanks
Dianne
ennaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:02 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Full disclosure, I have a Roadtrek.... however, I have known people with both the Pleasure Way and Leisure Travel..... Leisure Travel as far as I know is the cream of the crop.....it just doesn't get much better than that...

I would say that when you are looking at a used vehicle, car or RV.. CONDITION is everything....I wouldn't get too hung up on the brand name here... look for the condition, service records, and who owned and how many owners were there....If you looking at buying one from the original owner or even the second owner.. that's much better than a vehicle that has passed through five or more different owners.....

And, if it's a diesel or gasoline engine.... miles are less important on the diesel... but, again, it's all about the service history....

We looked at the VW Rialta many years ago...we liked the concept of a vehicle that got pretty good mileage like that...if you really want this...go for the diesel... just my opinion..

If you can find a decent specimen great.... trouble is a lot of 2002s are not going to be in the best condition.. after 16 or 17 years... I would expect the choices to be pretty slim ...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #3

Default Roadtrek vs L.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaid View Post
What are yhe main differences. Hubby and i are looking to purchase a used motor home class b, 2000 to about 2004, wide body. Given up on our Rialta .
Thanks
Dianne
I agree with the first reply. Condition is more important. Both brands are good. We own a 2002 LT Freedom 2A. We previously owned a Great West van, 1991. Sold it two years ago, bought the L.T.
History and regular upkeep of all components is most important. Layout also is important. Both brands have several different layouts. Check these out on-line so you have an idea what might be best for you. Then start searching.
On Vancouver Island if a good used class B comes up for sale in the years that you are looking at, it sells fast. If you find one make sure that the van is thoroughly inspected for mechanical condition.
Good luck.
Sandy
Victoria
jschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Default Test reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Full disclosure, I have a Roadtrek.... however, I have known people with both the Pleasure Way and Leisure Travel..... Leisure Travel as far as I know is the cream of the crop.....it just doesn't get much better than that...

I would say that when you are looking at a used vehicle, car or RV.. CONDITION is everything....I wouldn't get too hung up on the brand name here... look for the condition, service records, and who owned and how many owners were there....If you looking at buying one from the original owner or even the second owner.. that's much better than a vehicle that has passed through five or more different owners.....

And, if it's a diesel or gasoline engine.... miles are less important on the diesel... but, again, it's all about the service history....

We looked at the VW Rialta many years ago...we liked the concept of a vehicle that got pretty good mileage like that...if you really want this...go for the diesel... just my opinion..

If you can find a decent specimen great.... trouble is a lot of 2002s are not going to be in the best condition.. after 16 or 17 years... I would expect the choices to be pretty slim ...
(I posted a detailed reply to this post, however, my respone did not appear. This is my second attempt at this reply.)

The following are my observations and opinions, for what they are worth:
Full disclosure: I own a PW and am considering another PW or a WB (my favorites). Possibly an RT.
I'm not sure that I would classify LTV as the cream of the crop. There are several brands, which are sold on a more limited basis, with features and the accompanying price well above LTV, PW & RT. I believe LTV, PW and RT materials, fit and finish are similar in quality. Depending upon the WB model, their quality would be similar. LTV tends to have some very unique floorplans which appeal to some people but not others. Some LTV's have significantly lower OCCC (a specification that is very important to me) due to their features and floorplans, those with a slideout, for example. RT, PW and WB tend to have much more conventional floor plans.
RT tends to introduce advanced systems and features before the other 3 mainstream brands. In the past, this has created some issues for the "early adaptors (E-trek for example). PW's and WB's tend to be more conventional in their approaches, although WB seems to be ahead of the pack with it's recent introduction of the Volta electrical system.
Due to the larger number of WB's that have been sold, prices for used WB's tend to be lower than for comparable models from the other 3 mainstream class B brands.
AreCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #5

Default l t or p w coach

Good Morning; on which coach is best we have owned more than one of each of these . if you are in the newer sprinter there I cant help you but if you are still with the dodge , ford truck models.. I would say the ford is the best for there are few parts for the old dodges and dodge has been very bad at keeping up old items.
It seems only one difference we noticed and that was head room. I cant remember which as we now have a platinum coachhouse (more room) but the cabinetry in the two coaches one sticks out into the center more than the other and caused me a few more knots on top. .
One thing we would insist on and found after several versions is to get the electric sofa bed it is by far the best system and most convient .
The bathrooms some expanded like the reilta and they can become a problem with the repairs should they brake.
Company support: Both companies were always more than happy to help us with any problem we had and the best way to deal with it.
Good Luck;
Whitrock
whitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #6

I agree when buying used, condition is major factor. Floor plan is also something to consider. My wife picked our PW over others mostly because she liked the location of the kitchen. It looks out on the passenger side, which is typically the side facing the campsite. You can have the best made unit on the road, but if you don’t like how it is laid out, you will not be happy.
OldKansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #7

[QUOTE=>>Given up on our Rialta<<[/QUOTE]

I'm curious as to why you've given up on your Rialta. I'm considering buying one at some point, and would like to know if there is a reason to avoid them.

Thanks,

Ron
rontaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldKansan View Post
I agree when buying used, condition is major factor. Floor plan is also something to consider. My wife picked our PW over others mostly because she liked the location of the kitchen. It looks out on the passenger side, which is typically the side facing the campsite. You can have the best made unit on the road, but if you don’t like how it is laid out, you will not be happy.
(Second part of my response that did not post
I agree that condition can be everything when choosing an older class B. Unless you are very skilled and want to restore an RV, look for an RV that has been properly maintained. Have any RV you are considering for purchase inspected by a knowledgeable inspector. Consider hiring a certified inspector/inspection service. May be the best money that you spend in your search. Be sure to have the RV portion as well as the chassis portion inspected. Engine and transmission rebuilds can be very expensive and in some cases tend to be predictable, even for a well-maintained chassis, based upon the amount of the service life of the drive train that has already been consumed. Water leaks and the resulting damage can be difficult to diagnose and expensive to repair. Most of the normal wear and tear items cab be readily freshened or even replaced at moderate expense if you choose to do so. On the other hand, unless you are highly skilled, don't assume you can change the floorplan. Select a floorplan that you that you like and want.
Also, consider purchasing from a dealer with a reputation for customer service. Expect a full warranty for at least 30 days and up to 90 days from the date of purchase. I purchased my used PW from one such dealer and have been very happy with both the PW and the service from the dealer. I would not hesitate to recommend my dealer, including to someone who knows little about RV's.
AreCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #9

Default Leisure Travel vs Pleasure Way

I've had a 2009 Pleasure-Way on the Ford V8 chassis for 2 years and have put on 10,000km (about 6200 miles). We just got back from a 10 day trip to Zion and Bryce parks and this van just works. We love it. We bought our van from CanaDream out of Calgary AB. It was formerly a rental and had quite a few kms (likely, mostly highway) but was in great, great shape. (I had been looking for the right one for about about 10 years). Like OldKansan said the kitchen is on the side looking out on your campground. And like Whitrock said, the electric sofa bed is perfect. We are not big so we can sleep across and don't need to "build" the bed to king-size. The stove is great as is the fridge. The bathroom (toilet, sink) works and we've taken showers in it, not like home, but it does the job. One thing I really like about our "older" model is that there is more storage room in the passenger side "boot". I can get my Weber portable bbq in there along with some firewood and a few other items, like bike helmets etc. I feel PW cheaped out on the newer Ford versions by not putting in this plastic boot. That storage location is now accessible only under the back seat and through the back doors of the van. I replaced all the pot light bulbs with LED to save on energy. I wish there was more room for another 12V coach battery but we've never needed to run the generator to top it up. Our van came with a solar panel and every evening we find the the battery fully charged.
Good luck in your search.
--Arvee--
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PleasurewayVan-17.jpg (352.9 KB, 25 views)
arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:30 PM   #10

Default Pleasureway

I think I have something to add here. Several years ago, I bought a 1995 PW from a private seller. He claimed the PW was one owner; it had 78K miles on it. He was a business owner (owned computer repair shops and was currently an IT consultant) and seemed ok. I was a newbie and bought it on his word. It was not what it seemed. On the first trip, I ran into rain in GA and the windshield leaked like a sieve. When I got it fixed, the company said there was NO glue on the windshield and if I'd stopped suddenly, the windshield would have fallen out. That guy wasn't an original owner; his cousin owned the dealership and the fellow who traded it in WAS--and it had been sitting in someone's backyard for a few of those 25 years. Pretty sure--there was a bee's nest with dead bees in one of the taillights. It was clearly abused as a child; I made a commitment to the vehicle, and have put in about what I paid for it in terms of engine repairs, including transmission. The inside of the vehicle is old fashioned and I have discovered that at some point there was a leak that rotted some of the wood. It has bolsters that you put down to make a bed--which would be the same as your 2000-2 as well. After so much work on the engine, I'm keeping it. I am currently spending about 15K to bring the interior up to current standards. Condition is everything, but if I bought a newer PW, I'd still have a 10 year old vehicle for what I am paying/have paid. At least now, I know what I have had to do and what my future repairs are likely to be.
aangelis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:20 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrock View Post
there are few parts for the old dodges and dodge has been very bad at keeping up old items.
The B 150/250/350 Dodge vans were made from 1971 until 1994. Parts are easily and widely available both new and used. Parts for the newer models are also available.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:20 AM   #12

Default Old Dodge parts not a problem

As I said, I have a 1995 B3500 Dodge. Here's all I have done. No problem with aftermarket parts--they exist, some ordered through Amazon.
Prior to my owning vehicle, the guy who sold it to me said that he replaced the rotors on the windshield wipers.
Obtained keyless entry fob (6/2015 )
All hoses and belts replaced (6/2015 )
New radio with navigation system and dvd player (7/2016)--crapped out, removed (DO NOT BUY JENSEN.)
Replaced speaker system (8/2015 )
Installed Fantastic fan (8/2015 )
New flat screen tv installed (9/2015 )
Windshield replaced $0 (9/2015 )
New headlights installed (9/2015 )
New brake light cover installed (passengers rear) (7/2015 )
Installed back blinds (1/2018 )
Water pump replaced (4/2016 )
a/c blower, resistor, and a/c level switch replaced (6/2015 )
a/c discharge hose cleared (7/2015 )
fluids replaced (multiple times)
toilet replaced and replaced plywood underneath where needed. (8/2015 )
Replaced battery isolator (12/2015 )
Replaced battery circuit breaker (6/2016 )
Replaced deep cell battery (6/2016 )
Installed battery shutoff (6/2016 )
Two tires replaced, plus spare (9/2016 )
Two front tires replaced (10/2017 )
New catalytic converter installed (6/2016 )
Installed new CB radio (8/2016 )
Repaired rust on edges of conversion top and repainted (7/2016 )
Transmission rebuilt (hard) (1/2016 )
New radio, back up camera. (7/2016 )
New fuel pump assembly and fuel grommet (6/2017 )
New major tune up/premium spark plug wire kit, premium power spark plug (8 ), distributor cap, distributor motor, ignition coil (6/2017 ), lifetime wrranty
Idler arm assembly and drag link (6/2017 ), lifetime wrranty
Sway bar link repair kit (front suspension) ( 6/2017 ), lifetime warranty
Ball joint, upper, lower (front suspension) (6/2017 ), lifetime wrranty
Front end alignment , (6/2017 )
new black rubber waterstrip back door ( 8/2017 )
New window weatherstripping on driver’s and passenger’s doors (9/2017 )
Replaced subfloor and tile, new floor mount for table (9/2017 )
Replaced water heater (9/2017 )
Installed new generator shutdown switch, generator air filter (9/2017 )
installed new DC outlet and wiring harness (9/2017 )
refrigerator maintenance (9/2017 )
New CO monitor (10/2017 )
Headlight dimmer switch (2/2018 )
Headlight switch (2/2018 )
Valve cover gasket set (2/2018 )
Oil pan gasket set (2/2018 )
Rear main seal kit (2/2018 )
Premium brake pads (2/2018 )
Brake rotor and hub assembly (right) (2/2018 )
Wheel seal (front) (2/2018 )
Brake caliper and hardware (left ) Eclipse semi-loaded remanufactured (2/2018 )
Brake caliper and hardware (right ) Eclipse semi-loaded remanufactured (2/2018 )
antenna installation (1/2018 )
fuel tank gasket and fuel tank hose replacement (3/2018 )
Old 05-12-2018, 07:30 AM   #13
Platinum Member

ennaid- You might try looking here....they have Rialta's .... but, I think you can do better. Rialta's were fine back in the day, but, they're very old technology.

https://www.poptopheaven.com/index.asp
Old 05-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Rialta Heaven - Pop Top Campers

Yeah, I just posted a link for you... and just so you know they recondition these and sell them for pretty much "top dollar".... I once contacted them and was a little blown away at the price.

Again, just my opinion.... you can decide for yourself.

And, a Rialta is really a Class C... not a Class B.

When we first looked at them in the 90s, they were selling for $70,000 .... they've held a lot of value, but, so would a Sprinter.

VW has recently come out with a new version of the camper van, the old ones were remarkably under powered .

Happy Hunting .
Old 05-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
The B 150/250/350 Dodge vans were made from 1971 until 1994. Parts are easily and widely available both new and used. Parts for the newer models are also available.
One of the advantages of Dodge 5.3/5.9L vans and trucks built after 1989 is that they are fuel injected.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #16

Default Class B Motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaid View Post
Thanks
Dianne
Everything that you need is in it, tidy container, and, you don't have to worry about carting around a huge RV whenever you go. Inside, the van is tall enough for standing room. Even though there is a kitchen, living room, and a bathroom, it is very small. The toilet and shower are combined into one space...
parisonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:19 PM   #17

I have found the "used RV world" to be all over the place. I spent a year looking at used class b and class c models and was about to give up because everything was either too expensive, too old, or too small, or just plain "not what I wanted". I spent most evenings on the computer, searching. I then found a 2005 Winnebago Aspect 23D in the dead of winter. It had sat for 2 years, was dirty on the outside, but only 17,000 miles and 46 hrs. on the genny. Father died, son didn't want it, so it was put up on consignment at a very reputable RV Dealer about 20 miles from me. Long story short, I bought it for 25K and will but a few bucks in it cleaning it up on the outside. The inside is like new. I guess what I am trying to convey here is, be patient, keep looking, and do not give up. There are deals out there, you just have to keep looking!
blues46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues46 View Post
I have found the "used RV world" to be all over the place. I spent a year looking at used class b and class c models and was about to give up because everything was either too expensive, too old, or too small, or just plain "not what I wanted". I spent most evenings on the computer, searching. I then found a 2005 Winnebago Aspect 23D in the dead of winter. It had sat for 2 years, was dirty on the outside, but only 17,000 miles and 46 hrs. on the genny. Father died, son didn't want it, so it was put up on consignment at a very reputable RV Dealer about 20 miles from me. Long story short, I bought it for 25K and will but a few bucks in it cleaning it up on the outside. The inside is like new. I guess what I am trying to convey here is, be patient, keep looking, and do not give up. There are deals out there, you just have to keep looking!
My experience was that the RV sitting anywhere for a length of time (especially here in Florida) resulted in problems with mechanical parts that were not in the shape they should have been in with so few miles. Here, at least, stuff dry rots quickly. I've spent a lot of time replacing rubber parts, including the spare tire. The rubber on the inside of the windows starts to leak; as I said, the windshield rubber was worth nothing. So you may end up seeing that parts you thought would last a whole lot longer just don't last at all.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:14 AM   #19

I too have been searching for that "right fit" and reading all the ads. One of the ads I read this week (I went looking for it and can't find it) was a really good school lesson. The private seller was way to honest and basically mentioned that just about every suspension mounting point on the body/frame had been rotted out and repaired.

So lesson learned is when looking at these older and high mileage unit I am now going to have to crawl underneath and check the frame. Or easier fix buy and much newer unit.

STEVE
(first post here)
srama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by srama View Post
I too have been searching for that "right fit" and reading all the ads. One of the ads I read this week (I went looking for it and can't find it) was a really good school lesson. The private seller was way to honest and basically mentioned that just about every suspension mounting point on the body/frame had been rotted out and repaired.

So lesson learned is when looking at these older and high mileage unit I am now going to have to crawl underneath and check the frame. Or easier fix buy and much newer unit.

STEVE
(first post here)
Yes, as I am getting my van renovated right now, my renovator took the van down to the studs and found that there were a couple of places where the van has rotted through, and he is repairing them with fiberglass. It has been my plan--and now I am going to follow through on it--to get the van undercoated, which should stave off future problems for quite a while.