Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 02:02 AM   #1

Smile 2015 Roadtrek Agile SS - Inverter/Charger and Solar ???s

I just purchased a 2015 Roadtrek Agile SS with no owner's manual. The dealer had no answers for any of the specifications for the vehicle. Was there a "standard package' in 2015 in terms of solar panels, batteries, inverter/charger, etc? Solar panels only have a bar code with no other identifying information. I assume they are 100W. I have not dropped the battery box just yet to determine what batteries I have. The box is under the rear of the vehicle where the spare tire would typically be hung.

The inverter/charger has Model No: LW3000W, but no other identifying manufacturer information. 120 VAC - 60 Hz.

The dealer tried to tell me I have a propane generator on board, but he couldn't tell me where, and there is no switch on the control panel and no hour counter.

I am hoping someone can give me more specifics. I have found the online owners manuals, but they do not give specifics. I have been, and continue, searching the internet for something definitive. Any knowledgeable feedback would be appreciated.
JCChemdry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:08 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi JC

I have another model, and will be of no help.

Someone smart will be along presently

some of the sales videos on youtube might be helpful there are many

[...deleted video links]

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:32 AM   #3

Default Thanks

I have watched a ton of videos and have not found any that specifically address the solar setup.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:31 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCChemdry View Post
I have watched a ton of videos and have not found any that specifically address the solar setup.
First, welcome to the forum!

Second, while I can appreciate and understand your curiosity regarding your solar and inverter, I suggest your initial concern should be on how they operate and if they do so properly. We eventually upgraded our batteries and inverter, but were basically satisfied with the standard set up for the first year or so.

As to batteries, what voltage readings do you get? Should be around 12.6 volts but that is a generalization not knowing the type of batteries you have. If lithium batteries, that reading should be above 13 volts (typically 13.3 to 13.6 volts).

Finally, the generator is puzzling. As you state, there should be a wall panel with a start switch and run time meter. Also, you'd have an exhaust pipe protruding and should see the green onan box under the van's rear.

I thought Roadtreks had propane generators for your model year as their Ecotrek's with an Under Hood Generator (second alternator) were just going on line around then. But, if you don't have one, then you should have the other. If you indeed have a 3000W inverter, it makes me lean toward the Ecotrek model. Do you have several high-mounted blue lighted buttons for engaging battery banks?

Should look something like this:

I don't have your model. The above is just what I've learned from research and on this forum.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #5

I have attached a few pictures of the inverter/charger and solar panels.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #6

I definitely do not have that ecotrek switch/switches.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
I definitely do not have that ecotrek switch/switches.
No you sure don't have that Ecotrek switch. As I mentioned earlier, I don't have your model rv and now that I see your pictures, nothing is familiar to me as to what I saw when shopping Roadtreks years ago.

I rotated a couple of your pictures. I can't tell much from your monitor display, but the information from your inverter/charger picture shows it does not have a lithium charge setting. Hmmmmm.

Have you looked under the rear of your can for a generator box and exhaust pipe or battery case?

You need a fellow model owner to see your thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Project Large e-mail view.jpg (49.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2 Unsaved Project Large e-mail view.jpg (61.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-11-2020, 08:44 PM   #8

No generator box or exhaust pipe, but I did find 4 6V AGM batteries; two under the hood and two under the rear of the vehicle.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:18 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
No generator box or exhaust pipe, but I did find 4 6V AGM batteries; two under the hood and two under the rear of the vehicle.
Very curious. I guess the onan generator was a delete option that year that I was unaware of. Now look under the hood to see if it has dual alternators.

Oh how I wish someone more knowledgable would chime in on these mysteries.

Love the red color, by the way.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #10
Platinum Member

JCChemdry,

Just started to look at posts and noticed your message. I too have a 2015 Agile. It has the generator option, 2 additional AGM batteries option, 3 solar panels option and the 3K inverter. I believe the inverter is a PowerStar LW3000-12-C and the solar controller is a EPSOLAR LS1024 (I think). I have the electrons of several versions of these manuals. A quick Google search for them did not come up with links. You should PM if you still need them.

I have no axe to grind regarding the inverter except its standby drain. It worked well as a smart charger when plugged into shore power but did drain the batteries faster than I wanted when running without shore. There was a thread on a solar forum discussing how to replace a couple capacitors to reduce that drain. But, the inverter ceased operating as a charger just before Roadtrek ceased functioning. I was in the process of scheduling a replacement install with the dealer when they were told that Roadtrek was about to be no more. I was happy with this as I could now not feel guilt getting rid of it and replacing with a Magnum at my own expense.

To date the solar has been trouble free and I really never even look at the controller. I did buy a meter for it from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that I see is no longer available. There must be another model/brand out there if you need one.

I have found the Agile to be very useful for camping/fishing. It is not a rugged truck camper so it keeps me out of areas that I probably would be stuck. But it is a better highway vehicle than a truck camper. I was offered an "upgrade" to the lithium system a few weeks after purchase but thankfully turned it down.

Pat
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Pat, do you know the salesman's name who sold you your Agile? Was he knowledgable and do you think he's still at the dealership? Just wondering if there is someone out there the OP can call that might know about his setup. Obviously, his salesman was clueless; or worse.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #12
Platinum Member

rowiebowie,

One of the good things about living in New Jersey ( I always have to acknowledge such things to myself when I find one) is that we are near an excellent RV dealership, Colonial RV (https://www.colonialrv.com/). At the time of our purchase they were a Roadtrek dealership but are no longer selling that brand. Still you might want to reach out the Patrick Botticelli. AS people are probably very familiar with him as he tends to be the leading AS sales person each year.

Pat
Old 07-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Another recent source of pre-current RT knowledge that I found to be very helpful is:

Chris Dicks

Mobilife RV Centre 4166 King St E Kitchener, ON N2P 2G5

Phone 519-653-5788* Fax 519-653-5885

roadtrekparts@mobilife.on.ca

1-800-563-4507

www.mobilifeRV.ca

He was the only person I found who could source the plastic cover for the electric step. He might be able to help with your current info quest. Also, current-RT did employ some previous employees who might be able to help.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Good sources for him to contact.

His model has me curious. While I did not buy a Roadtrek (and thank goodness not an Etrek), I thought I'd researched them well and yet, his model is puzzling to me.

With ample sun on his solar and a bit of driving, he should have no problem charging his batteries. But I just never heard of a model that did not have either an Onan generator or an under-hood generator as a way of powering the roof ac when camping. Of course, even high-idleing a Mercedes diesel with a big-a$$ second alternator is less than ideal for the health of it's emission system.

I will be following.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:58 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I don't remember there being a second alternator option when we looked at the Agile back in 2015. I can't find the original sales brochure but located what I believe is the same here:
https://archive.org/details/roadtrek...ge/n1/mode/2up

It shows that there was the propane generator option but not a second alternator. I believe that might have changed a few weeks later when the Eco-trek was being pushed. The larger RT models might have had that option at this time.

Looking at the same site for the 2016 sales sheet:
https://archive.org/details/roadtrek...ge/n3/mode/2up

shows a second alternator as either coupled with more batteries or the Eco-trek, both options. The propane generator is also still listed as an option. But still any generator or alternator were options.

For me, I like the 2015 better because I have one and it has the 4 cylinder vs. the 6 cylinder in the 2016.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Well then, I guess there's still a slight chance JC has the Volt Start option (normally associated with the Ecotrek models) provided it was a stand-alone option.

But if not, he will still be fine if he plugs in or drives a few hours daily for charging. We have the onan generator, but have never really needed it to run ac or charge the coach batteries as we traveled in cool weather and drove at least a few hours daily.

My 200Ah lithium upgrade was basically to up our boondocking ability from one day to two (maybe three) and to be able to run the microwave from the 3000W inverter.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:23 PM   #17
Bronze Member

We have a 2015 Agile similar to yours, but with the generator in place of the 2 extra AGMs underneath. I like your setup better.

You can find a manual here:
https://www.roadtrek.com/download/62932&file_id=133658

One note: Use the inverter only when plugged-in (to charge your batteries) or when running off batteries and using 120v. Left on when not plugged in, the inverter will draw down your batteries. Also, Roadtrek recommended that we not use the power saver auto feature (on the 3-way inverter switch above the sliding door). Off is in the middle and down is the on position you want to use. The auto feature does not work right, and will cycle the inverter off and on in a loop.

When boondocking in the spring/summer and early fall, we can run the fridge, lights, fans, and occasional short uses of the microwave with inverter and never run out of power, even with only two AGMs.

Good luck and enjoy. We love ours.
OregonTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #18
Platinum Member

One of the benefits (IMO) of a Roadtrek is that you don't need a traditional generator.
Instead, they used a large second alternator to charge the batteries and with the inverter on you can run the rear AC, etc. Not sure if they had the dual alternator option back in 2015 on the Agile.

To check if you have a second alternator walk up to the front passenger side, crouch down and look up at the engine. If you have a second alternator you will see it there at the front of the engine, behind the bumper kind of hanging low.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:07 PM   #19

Default 2015 Roadtrek 170

We bought ours used 3 years ago, and no owners manual. I downloaded one from the net, but many of the features weren't explained, or accurate inside our RV. Little things, Like the microwave is a Danby and it didn't have a plate inside. We don't have solar, but our generator is an Onan generator and it is gasoline, not propane. It was barely used by first owner. The battery for the DC inside unit was not functional, wouldn't hold a charge, so we replaced it. Our heater is propane, and the stove is propane, but that is it for that. Good luck on yours, it was probably added after market. BTW we love our RV and have taken it on lots of road trips! It takes getting used to but for the 2 of us it is great.
Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:43 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
We bought ours used 3 years ago, and no owners manual. I downloaded one from the net, but many of the features weren't explained, or accurate inside our RV. Little things, Like the microwave is a Danby and it didn't have a plate inside. We don't have solar, but our generator is an Onan generator and it is gasoline, not propane. It was barely used by first owner. The battery for the DC inside unit was not functional, wouldn't hold a charge, so we replaced it. Our heater is propane, and the stove is propane, but that is it for that. Good luck on yours, it was probably added after market. BTW we love our RV and have taken it on lots of road trips! It takes getting used to but for the 2 of us it is great.

Welcome to the forum Foxy!

Tags
charging system, inverter, roadtrek agile, solar