Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #61
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
when i had a roadtrek-even though agm- i figured 4 amps for fridge-4 amps for ceiling fan-the a couple for devices like the propane detector etc.

you are talking at least 10 amps per hour. Lithium installations use power for controlling the battery(s) themselves.

Most of us over estimate the amount of power gotten from our solar panels and underestimate the amount of power we are using even if not using anything special.

no matter who's lithium battery installation is being used the odds are you cannot just sit with solar panels exclusivley. you have to run the engine generator -at least once a day i would think
Good info, thanks. I’ll just see how it goes. I don’t really need the solar since the Lithium battery is so big and charges fast. I might eventually look into upgrading the solar, adding a second 12v battery to charge off the solar and 12v alternator for a backup power source, or remove the solar panels and use it for storage.
jbxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #62
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
I get your point. However, for me it depends on whether or not an "inconvenience" introduces the significant possibility of turning into a royal PITA. Hey, the smaller tanks on a B results in more frequent dumps, but that is a reasonable inconvenience without concomitant draconian consequences. By comparison, stashing the Onan generator on a B under chassis seems like a minor inconvenience until it won't run resulting in the expense of dropping the whole kibosh to the deck which is a major PITA. So, IMO, stashing the brain controlling any alternator charging system under chassis is the current example of a dubious compromise considering that, after autopsy, what apparently looked like battery failure turns out to be a malfunction of its BMS.
I don’t like this either. Someone else posted on Facebook today with a problem not being able to charge the battery from the alternator, only when plugged into shore power. If its not the alternator, hopefully they don’t have to drop the battery to troubleshoot.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:22 PM   #63
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Whoa there windcrasher, no need to be so harsh. jbxr7 didn't limit his time frame. His concern is the same as you, sustainable solar for basic power demands.
Haha, thanks. It’s all good. I might be dumb but I’m not stupid.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbxr7 View Post
I don’t like this either. Someone else posted on Facebook today with a problem not being able to charge the battery from the alternator, only when plugged into shore power. If its not the alternator, hopefully they don’t have to drop the battery to troubleshoot.
If the battery charging port is accepting a shoreside charge, that's pretty much an indication that the converter/charger, battery and BMS are working properly. The usual suspect is the alternator regulator which is relatively accessible.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
If the battery charging port is accepting a shoreside charge, that's pretty much an indication that the converter/charger, battery and BMS are working properly. The usual suspect is the alternator regulator which is relatively accessible.
No it's not. He has the same problem as I did. I've been made aware of the root cause, which I can't share on here. But it's a WGO caused issue that effected the Volta system, causing damage.

Charging from shore power is done by the inverter unit. That works normally on his, as it did mine.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:29 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Well I did get my solar sorted. I was able to get a 4th panel fitted, and I moved them over to the passenger side. If you have the morning sun facing the passenger side of the van, then you maximize the time without shadows on any of the panels. I wired two pairs in series, so I had 39-40 volts down to the controller, which puts it right in the middle of it's sweet spot of input. I tested 39 volts at the controller on each set testing individually. Look like it's working well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (302.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.jpg (281.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-25-2018, 11:57 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
No it's not. He has the same problem as I did. I've been made aware of the root cause, which I can't share on here. But it's a WGO caused issue that effected the Volta system, causing damage.

Charging from shore power is done by the inverter unit. That works normally on his, as it did mine.
I'm a little confused. Does JBXR7 currently have a coach with a Volta system? In #56 he indicates this won't be until October. Does the charging problem he discusses involve a Volta system or a standard AGM setup?
Old 08-26-2018, 12:11 AM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm a little confused. Does JBXR7 currently have a coach with a Volta system? In #56 he indicates this won't be until October. Does the charging problem he discusses involve a Volta system or a standard AGM setup?
The problem he described is another person has reported having the same issue as I had.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:57 AM   #69
Platinum Member

Quote:
Your report on #24 suggested that your system failure was a one shot outlier but apparently there are other coaches with the same problem. And regardless of the root cause of the failure, how do these coaches ever leave the factory floor with a system failure like this without being spotted? Have; the pencil pushers eliminated the Q&A department. Or does this problem develop post delivery?
Old 08-26-2018, 01:01 AM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
Your report on #24 suggested that your system failure was a one shot outlier but apparently there are other coaches with the same problem. And regardless of the root cause of the failure, how do these coaches ever leave the factory floor with a system failure like this without being spotted? Have; the pencil pushers eliminated the Q&A department. Or does this problem develop post delivery?
QA only works when you tell everyone involved that something happened so they can recheck their system. I think that a handful of vans are effected that had the same issue at that time. I don't think it is anything nefarious, just ignorance by people dealing with something completely new to them.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:43 AM   #71
Platinum Member

Quote:
QA only works when you tell everyone involved that something happened so they can recheck their system. I think that a handful of vans are effected that had the same issue at that time. I don't think it is anything nefarious, just ignorance by people dealing with something completely new to them.
I thought that Quality Control included testing to ensure that all systems are operating properly. Interestingly, the Xantrex system used by Coachmen in their Galleria Li3 apparently has proceeded without any hiccups. I''ll hazard the guess that maybe it's because WGO treats Volta like a component vendor whereas Coachmen describes their relationship with Xantrex as a partnership.

In any event, this has to be said: The conventional wisdom is that RV customers have little power to change the operation of an RV builder but you clearly put the lie to that. Considering the financial significance of their Travato, WGO should be thankful that you have nailed down the cause of a power failure plus documenting the solar design issues that must be resolved when a 48 volt system is involved. Future Travato owners will certainly benefit from your digging into this.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:22 PM   #72
Bronze Member

Quote:
Well I did get my solar sorted. I was able to get a 4th panel fitted, and I moved them over to the passenger side. If you have the morning sun facing the passenger side of the van, then you maximize the time without shadows on any of the panels. I wired two pairs in series, so I had 39-40 volts down to the controller, which puts it right in the middle of it's sweet spot of input. I tested 39 volts at the controller on each set testing individually. Look like it's working well.
I understand that your solar requirement is a little extreme and I’m not sure what an average user’s expectations should be or what the advertised capabilities for Winnebago’s latest and greatest Pure3 Energy Management System are. But the solar seems to be lacking or not an ideal match for the rest of the system.

I’m not comfortable with buying it knowing there’s a fairly cheap and simple fix to help the battery last longer by maintaining higher state of charge and less deep discharges/cycles. I know every penny counts in their production and you can nitpick all day long on cheap upgrades to components throughout the van, but this seems different since it’s part of an expensive high-tech package.

So, I think they should make the changes ASAP, preferably before I pick mine up. What do you think? I could be asking too much, not sure, I’ve never bought a Winnebago before.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #73
Bronze Member

Quote:
I understand that your solar requirement is a little extreme and I’m not sure what an average user’s expectations should be or what the advertised capabilities for Winnebago’s latest and greatest Pure3 Energy Management System are. But the solar seems to be lacking or not an ideal match for the rest of the system.

I’m not comfortable with buying it knowing there’s a fairly cheap and simple fix to help the battery last longer by maintaining higher state of charge and less deep discharges/cycles. I know every penny counts in their production and you can nitpick all day long on cheap upgrades to components throughout the van, but this seems different since it’s part of an expensive high-tech package.

So, I think they should make the changes ASAP, preferably before I pick mine up. What do you think? I could be asking too much, not sure, I’ve never bought a Winnebago before.
I know there’s a lot of variables and it’s normal to have to work out some bugs. Winnebago seems pretty good about implementing improvements, identified by users, in future year models but I’m not sure about a quick change like this.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #74
Platinum Member

Quote:
I know there’s a lot of variables and it’s normal to have to work out some bugs. Winnebago seems pretty good about implementing improvements, identified by users, in future year models but I’m not sure about a quick change like this.

the part wincrasher described could have been part of a bad lot
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:24 PM   #75
Platinum Member

I know that "interested parties" are looking for some panels that are small, but run at a higher voltage and efficiency to suggest making a change to WGO. I highly doubt that anything will change before you get your van in the fall. Not only does a selection need to be made, they have to be tested out on a few mules (or volunteers!) and supply chain resolved. It may be impossible to change if WGO has an iron-clad supply arrangement with Zamp, I don't know.

From what I understand, small panels that will fit on a van, that have a high voltage are pretty rare beasts. They are not something you can buy from the usual outfitters or online sales like Amazon.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #76
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
the part wincrasher described could have been part of a bad lot
Yea, that was good news.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #77
Bronze Member

Quote:
I know that "interested parties" are looking for some panels that are small, but run at a higher voltage and efficiency to suggest making a change to WGO. I highly doubt that anything will change before you get your van in the fall. Not only does a selection need to be made, they have to be tested out on a few mules (or volunteers!) and supply chain resolved. It may be impossible to change if WGO has an iron-clad supply arrangement with Zamp, I don't know.

From what I understand, small panels that will fit on a van, that have a high voltage are pretty rare beasts. They are not something you can buy from the usual outfitters or online sales like Amazon.
I’ll try contacting Winnebago and volunteer to be a mule, no charge lol.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:14 AM   #78
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
I’ll try contacting Winnebago and volunteer to be a mule, no charge lol.
Having bought 3 WGO coaches, 2 ordered, 1 bought as it was coming in, if you are supposed to get yours in October, it will be built sometime in September most likely. The L part puts a question mark on this statement though.
Anyway, like Wincrasher said, I don't see any changes to the L package before next spring when the 2020's come out if even then.....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:14 AM   #79
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Having bought 3 WGO coaches, 2 ordered, 1 bought as it was coming in, if you are supposed to get yours in October, it will be built sometime in September most likely. The L part puts a question mark on this statement though.
Anyway, like Wincrasher said, I don't see any changes to the L package before next spring when the 2020's come out if even then.....
Ok thanks. I think the L part also still does put a question mark on how much support or flexibility might be available for early adopters working out the bugs, getting less than ideal parts or configurations, etc. I’ve toned down my optimism or expectations a little but I should at least get a free coffee mug or something j/k. There doesn’t seem to be a shortage of demand. There’s only been a couple minor issues so far. So, I’m still good to go. I’ll still ask the questions though.