Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2014 Sprinter has a four-banger standard...

Since the 2014 Sprinter (which is shipping next month) has a 1.8 four cylinder turbo diesel engine as the standard (the V6 will be an option), I wonder how the MPG will be on that, especially if used on 2500 model "B"s (PW Ascent, RT SS Agile.) Mercedes claims a 18 percent MPG increase, which likely means 3-4 MPG better than the V-6, although you got 156 HP (as per the Mercedes announcement) under the hood, not 161.

If I read it right, 6.3 liters per 100km, as per this press release

http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-9...=1367256724938

the new Sprinter may be flirting with 40 MPG.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2014 Sprinter has a four-banger standard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
Since the 2014 Sprinter (which is shipping next month) has a 1.8 four cylinder turbo diesel engine as the standard (the V6 will be an option), I wonder how the MPG will be on that, especially if used on 2500 model "B"s (PW Ascent, RT SS Agile.) Mercedes claims a 18 percent MPG increase, which likely means 3-4 MPG better than the V-6, although you got 156 HP (as per the Mercedes announcement) under the hood, not 161.

If I read it right, 6.3 liters per 100km, as per this press release

http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-9...=1367256724938

the new Sprinter may be flirting with 40 MPG.
If I read it right, the 1.8 is direct injection gas engine, not diesel, which would explain the good hp numbers.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Here is another release about the four cylinder engine:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/06/m...inter-details/

There, it states the four-banger is a 2.1 liter BlueTec diesel.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
Here is another release about the four cylinder engine:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/06/m...inter-details/

There, it states the four-banger is a 2.1 liter BlueTec diesel.
I wonder if the 1.8 suprecharged direct injection gas engine the first article mentioned will be available here. It would be a very good way to compare the gas direct injection to diesel mileage. Many folks think the DI gas will get very close to diesel as they learn how refine it further, and diesels need to meet tighter emission standards. The gasser probably could idle longer, too, for an e-trek!
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Very interesting indeed. They expanded on the details: http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921- ... 0-0-0.html

Gas engine:

Quote:
The Sprinter will also be available with a natural gas engine, making the Sprinter the first-ever van to meet Europe's stringent Euro VI emissions standard. Displacing 1.8L, the natural gas four-cylinder uses direct-injection and a supercharger to develop 156 horsepower.
I don't know if that is also available in America.

Diesel options:

Quote:
The 2014 Sprinter can be fitted with a range of four- and six-cylinder diesel engines developing between 95 and 190 horsepower. Equipped with Mercedes' BlueEFFICIENCY PLUS package, the Sprinter is capable of returning 44.4mpg (Imp.) combined on the European cycle.
That would be around 37 mpg US.

But it takes a combination of factors to get that MPG:

BlueEFFICIENCY

Quote:
BlueEFFICIENCY package lowers fuel consumption
This inherent fuel efficiency for the Sprinter is further enhanced by the optional BlueEFFICIENCY package, which provides for an additional reduction in fuel consumption of up to 0.5 l/100 km. This corresponds to 13.3 g CO2/km. The package is available for all weight classes and model variants of the Sprinter.
It consists of several modules. The ECO start/stop function shuts the engine down automatically when the vehicle is stationary, as long as no gear is engaged and the clutch pedal is not pressed. In vehicles with the 7G-TRONIC PLUS automatic transmission, stopping in gear D by stepping on the foot brake is sufficient to activate this function.
The generator management system has been optimised for even greater efficiency. The same applies to the further enhanced fuel pump, which controls the supply pressure and flow rate according to the prevailing requirements. The ECO power steering pump is only activated when power assistance is actually required. Finally, tyres with reduced rolling resistance lower the required level of energy while the vehicle is in motion.
and BlueEFFICIENCY plus

Quote:
The Sprinter 213 or 313 BlueTEC with manual transmission and the BlueEFFICIENCY package plus is the right choice for those aiming to minimise fuel consumption in solo operation. This lowers fuel consumption by a further 0.3 l/100 km. The efficiency package additionally includes an electrically activated on-demand suction-type fan for the radiator and the rear-axle ratio of i=3.692 which has long been available. The package is available for closed variants up to a maximum gross vehicle weight of 3.5 t.
in manual transmission I think.

Imagine getting even 30 MPG in a Class B RV!

Combining all these features is what does it:
Intelligent generator (alternator) management
air conditioning system incorporates a freewheel
Rear axle with reduced friction gains up to 0.2 l/100 km
BlueEFFICIENCY gains up to 0.5 l/100 km
BlueEFFICIENCY plus gains up to 0.3 l/100 km

Summary:
Quote:
the new Sprinter undercuts its decidedly fuel-efficient predecessor by more than one litre per 100 km
By my calculations that would be (more than) 5 MPG (US Gallon) - if I did the math right.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote