Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2023, 11:36 PM   #1
Rok
Platinum Member

Default Not New, but it's been a while

Hi Folks,

I'm back. I haven't been here for a couple of years. I used to post quite a bit and was very active here, but for the most part, we haven't done much RV'ing since Covid-19 hit.

We still have our 2013 Great West Legend SE (built on a 2012 MB Sprinter). Which we've enjoyed--all except for the part where the company went bankrupt owing us about $5K for warrantee issues.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out what people are doing with Sprinters when replacing headlight lamps. Ours uses an H7 55W bulb, but there are a lot of choices out there. (1) Standard Halogen, (2) Super-Bright Halogen, (3) Upgrade to LED, or (probably not) (4) Go back to a standard non-halogen bulb.

Anyway hello again, I'll shoot over to the proper forums to post the above information.
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 12:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Do not own a Sprinter RV, but it depends on how bright your headlights are at night. The halogen bulbs produce a lot of heat as well as the LEDs, so be aware of this factor.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:55 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm back. I haven't been here for a couple of years. I used to post quite a bit and was very active here, but for the most part, we haven't done much RV'ing since Covid-19 hit.

We still have our 2013 Great West Legend SE (built on a 2012 MB Sprinter). Which we've enjoyed--all except for the part where the company went bankrupt owing us about $5K for warrantee issues.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out what people are doing with Sprinters when replacing headlight lamps. Ours uses an H7 55W bulb, but there are a lot of choices out there. (1) Standard Halogen, (2) Super-Bright Halogen, (3) Upgrade to LED, or (probably not) (4) Go back to a standard non-halogen bulb.

Anyway hello again, I'll shoot over to the proper forums to post the above information.
Just a suggestion by if lights is what you in search for try the LED Light Bars?
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

ProMaster here - I replaced the dim headlights with energy efficient LEDs. They are bright, and I adjusted them to make sure they don't blind oncoming traffic.

Pretty sure you will find discussions about the feasibility and possibly recommendations what to use on Sprinter forums.

FWIW I used these.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

LED replacements are a shooting match of what you get, totally random selection of good or not so good. I went through several tries before I got some I was happy with for my 96 Buick Roadmaster as the patterns on most were absolutely horrible.

Most of the reviews are phony, I think, for the LED headlights based on what I saw and the uniformity of them all, so I would discount them nearly completely, except for lower rated ones to get and idea of what problems were had.

Most reviews just talk about brightness and not pattern, when IMO pattern makes a bigger difference in visibility, both for you and approaching drivers, than brightness does.

The best way I have found to get a good test of pattern is find and narrow, level, street with trees down both sides close to the road. You should see a sharp cutoff of light a bit above the level of the headlights or even with them. If you aim straight onto trees it should go straight across at the same cutoff height. Very few bulb/reflector combinations can do this very well. Most I tested just sprayed light all over, even lighting up the power lines and poles to the top.

Take a picture with you phone out the windshield and post them for all to see if you get a good pattern so others can see what one looks like and duplicate what you put in for bulb and reflector. I was on aftermarket headlight replacements that had clear lenses and faceted reflectors and Torchflame 60 watt bulbs.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 02:07 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Default LEDs

Check this site: https://www.headlightrevolution.com
They have many videos comparing different lighting. They buy all the lights they sell/test.
I bought the GTR Ultra 2 for my car and could not be happier.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:12 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Check this site: https://www.headlightrevolution.com
They have many videos comparing different lighting. They buy all the lights they sell/test.
I bought the GTR Ultra 2 for my car and could not be happier.

That is a very good source of information and products. I used them also while I was trying to get a handle on why the lights worked so differently in the same reflector. The information they give allowed me to narrow in on finding the ones I have now.

Be aware that there products are very good but also on the high end of price, but for good reason. Many of them may have the electronics in a separate box on a harness, which can be good as many lamps don't have enough room for big bulbs but can be bad if you don't have a good place to mount the extra boxes.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:21 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Welcome back to your group. Where the adventures are best outdoors.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:33 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I dug out a couple of pics I took out the windshield of my 96 Buick Roadmaster wagon after finding bulbs that worked well.

First is low beam, second high beams at my favorite test place for headlight aim.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg headli13.jpg (261.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg headli14.jpg (234.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-03-2023, 12:21 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Welcome Back to the Class B Forum. Sad to learn about your company issue. Some States have issues with any auto light changes. But you can add LED's but should be kept off on roadways. Some kiddos have the under-vehicle lights, which should only be in operation while parked, not moving. If you're stopped for any traffic infraction, they can then question lights, tented windows on windshield's, which they will have you remove on the spot, before leaving the traffic stop. Having been seen firsthand, traffic stops on pull overs. But some states don't care.